The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by munchjin
I'm studying Of Mice an Men and An Inspector Calls and for poetry I'm doing the relationships cluster.
I heard that it is likely that To His Coy Mistress or In Paris With You or Sister Maude will come up for poetry.

I really need predictions for OMAM and AIC. I'm not confident in all of English lit but the poetry is a little better than the novel and play and I got an A* in my coursework so it shouldn't be too bad.

So i was going through the papers for OMaM and AIC and from what i have seen i predict the characters that will come up will be:
OMaM: either Candy or Curley
AIC: Sheila, The Inspector or Gerald
as for themes that could come up i haven't got a clue i hope this helped
Anyone else doing place poetry cluster as i feel like i am one of the only people doing it :frown::frown::frown::frown:
Hi, would someone please be able to help me! i've been revising the themes for Of Mice And Men today, and have found a really good piece of analysis that I will use, however I can't decide with theme it goes under? I am thinking destiny, although I'm wondering whether it would also fit under loneliness?? good luck everyone with the exam on monday, this is the quote -

'A water snake glided smoothly up the pool, twisting its periscope head from side to side; and it swam the length of the pool and came to the legs of a motionless heron that stood in the shallows. A silent head and beak lanced down and plucked it out by the head, and the beak swallowed the little snake while its tail waved frantically.'

It is from the imagery at the start of chapter six!
Original post by Harrymason
I'm doing OMAM for my book and AIC for my play, and conflict for my poetry, i'm pretty confident about OMAM and i think that Candy or the american dream will come up. For Candy, refer to the similarities between him and his dog, and how the sick and elderly are treated by the younger generation. Also, if that scene comes up, refer to how slim, even though he seems "godlike" and "kind" he can't change the fate of the dog.
Could someone please give me an idea of what will come up for AiC, and what to revise for it, because I always seem to fall down on that question

*edit i meant candy not curley, i know what i'm talking about i swear

My teacher thinks that Sheila will come up this year, so practice the one question we have on her from the June 2011 paper. Also, doing character profiles and posters about each theme will help you get them in your head. Try and memorise any quotes that you have some good analysis about, and you should be ok! i'm hoping for sheila and curley on monday! good luck
Reply 444
hi! im doing crucible and tkam! does anyone have any ideas on how to start revising for these??predictions?/
Jekyll and Hyde Revision?
Original post by Emily_Lynch
So i was going through the papers for OMaM and AIC and from what i have seen i predict the characters that will come up will be:
OMaM: either Candy or Curley
AIC: Sheila, The Inspector or Gerald
as for themes that could come up i haven't got a clue i hope this helped
for AIC all those characters you've suggested have come up.
Original post by emmak10
omam themes 2/2
i'm just posting these because i found that when i was trying to do research there was very little like detailed things on the themes/characters, especially on inspector calls so. Hope these can help someone

you are a lifesaver thank you
Anyone have any predictions on the Of mice and Men passage question?
:smile:
Reply 449
Original post by Yasminxb

I think it might be the shooting of Candy's dog, do you think the question might be about Curley?

my teacher has a feeling it could be on the clearing, and the use of setting as part B, or Curley, and then masculinity or heirachy for part B
Original post by etata
I think it might be the shooting of Candy's dog, do you think the question might be about Curley?

I dont think the shooting of Candy's dog may come up, because that shooting passage came up on June 2013. And Yeah I've got a feeling Curley might come up and maybe the ending of when Lennie gets shot by George?
Original post by mairossanna
my teacher has a feeling it could be on the clearing, and the use of setting as part B, or Curley, and then masculinity or heirachy for part B

thank youu :tongue:
Original post by emmald583
Ok, this is my Section B Part A for the June 2015 paper on TKAM (this essay got 29/30):

"Atticus is portrayed as a moral character in this passage. He tells Scout that it is a "sin to kill a mockingbird". A "mockingbird" symbolises innocence in the passage, as mockingbirds sing all day and don't harm anyone. Mockingbirds, as a type of bird, could be viewed as inferior to humans, yet Atticus instructs his children not to shoot them, reflecting his moral conscience as even though Jem and Scout have the power to kill them, he teaches that it is wrong to kill something innocent. The fact that Atticus says he would rather they didn't shoot at birds, and indeed refused to teach the children to shoot at all, reflects his aversion to violence and his preference for finding peaceful ways to solve conflict. Lee's use of the word "sin" to show Atticus' views on killing mockingbirds is important because we hear that he never called anything a sin before. It reflects how he thinks the worst thing a person can do is to harm someone innocent, that is not as fortunate as you, and once again conveys his morality - he thinks it is important to treat everyone equally and not take advantage of people's innocence or lower social standing, beliefs that set him apart from other characters in the novel.

The fact that Scout describes him as "feeble" also informs the reader about her attitudes. She thinks that because he is nearly 50, and a lawyer, he "didn't do anything". This reflects that Scout thinks people who are more physically capable are more important and impressive people. However, this is not the case - as shown by Atticus' moral character, the reader understands that even though Scout thinks he doesn't do anything admirable, he is playing an important part in the Civil Rights movement, reflecting her naivety. In addition, this extract may reflect Scout's need for approval of the others at her school: she says that she wishes he would remain "inconspicuous". This shows that she would rather her family stayed out of the limelight and went along with Maycomb's views that do something that drew attention to her in an arguably negative way. Irony is created here by the two layers of narration - the older, retrospective Scout clearly does not still think this, but conveys these ideas through the younger, naive narrator, to reflect the effect that Maycomb Society's prejudice has had on Scout, and what it therefore changed about her attitudes."

Hopefully this is helpful! There's probably a lot of points that I didn't include, but that was what I came up with in a mock in exam conditions. Remember to always try to talk about Scout's narration, as you can make a really sophisticated point if you mention the dual narrative voice (old Scout and young Scout). Good luck for Monday - if you need anything else let me know :smile:

Wow! Such incredible analysis, could I see what you wrote for part B? That's what I need the most work on.
Original post by Mizz.Unicorn
Hi is anyone else really stuck on The crucible. I have no idea how to revise!! I am freaking out I need an A*!! Anyone have any tips?

Heya ! I'm doing crucible too and I got full marks on my mock so I'll just write some of my best points down that you can probs include in lots of different question (this will help my revision too haha)

There are a number of key themes throughout the pay (remember when talking about the effects talk about the audience and not the reader as this shows you are aware of the style of the text as whole).

The danger of ideology and puritanism - the crucible is set in a strict theocratic society where the church and state act as one ,allowing religion and the expectations that come with it to be used as a weapon of manipulation in the corrupted court scenes. For example "a person is either with this court or they must be counted against it" (Danforth Act 3) which suggests that you are either with God or the Devil and there is no in-between. Miller is therefore implying that people who act independently and don't conform to established moral laws are a threat to society and subsequently God. The witch trials are the ultimate expression of intolerance, not only from society as a whole, but from individuals who use these trials to express personal grievances behind the shield of supposed christianity (like the Putnams and of course Abigail who plots against Elizabeth).

Reputation- (another extremely important theme- try and get this in your essay in some way!!) It seems that those who are most concerned with their reputation in society are the biggest threat to Salem (e.g Parris and Danforth who despite realising the girls are all telling lies continue with the hanging of innocent people to ensure that there position in the engrained social hierarchy doesn't change). Miller uses John to explain how difficult it is to withdraw yourself from the obsession over reputation and replace it with personal integrity and morality. Proctor's battle with his own conscience is significant and shifts throughout the play - from refusing to tell the courts about Abigail's lies, to admitting adultery to save Elizabeth (huge expression of love and devotion- the apology that she was waiting for), to admitting to witchcraft and then finally choosing truth over life - ultimate judgement will come from God and not Salem.

I could literally go on forever so if you (or anyone else) want any more themes (hysteria, power etc.) or characters (Tituba, Hale, Danforth, John etc.) or OMAM just reply to this and i will write some more hahah !!

Oh and also, even though context isn't tested in this section, I advise mentioning (only a sentence or two) about the parallels between Salem and 1950's America (era of McCarthyism) where both societies are overtaken with paranoia and corrupt legal systems- it helps you to have a more sophisticated analysis as it links in with writer's ideas and themes.

Hope this helps you, sorry its so long !! Good luck with your exams, you will smash it !!
(edited 7 years ago)
I dont think the shooting of Candy's dog may come up, because that shooting passage came up on June 2013. And Yeah I've got a feeling Curley might come up and maybe the ending of when Lennie gets shot by George?
Yeah my teachers predicted the ending might come up too, as this is the end of mice and men in english literature
Reply 456
My teacher predicted this year will probably be hard and predicts these:
For Of Mice and Men a) A passage on either Curley, The Boss, Whit or Carlson
b) Symbolism/Setting, Bullying, Replacement or American Dream

For An Inspector Calls -
Theme question - Lies/Depict, Hypocrisy, Appearances (Pretences)

Any revision notes, thoughts on these? :smile:
Would the exam board do a full question on whit or carlson for OMAM? i don't know whether to revise them fully or not?
Original post by itsalx
My teacher predicted this year will probably be hard and predicts these:
For Of Mice and Men a) A passage on either Curley, The Boss, Whit or Carlson
b) Symbolism/Setting, Bullying, Replacement or American Dream

For An Inspector Calls -
Theme question - Lies/Depict, Hypocrisy, Appearances (Pretences)

Any revision notes, thoughts on these? :smile:

Yes, my teacher thinks Curley, either the passage where he first comes in to meet G&L or where he gets his hand crushed by Lennie. Also heard that it could be on Candy?

For AIC, I'm hoping that social class comes up, tension or social responsibility? then my teacher has predicted Sheila for a character!
What grade are you aiming for?
Original post by thatonepunkguy
Wow! Such incredible analysis, could I see what you wrote for part B? That's what I need the most work on.

Actually can't find my part b for that question! I'll have a look and if I find it I'll post and tag you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending