The Student Room Group

House prices face 18% hit if Britain quits EU, says George Osborne

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Also the turn out of the sorts of people who rent and can not afford to buy a home will be lower than the turn out of propertied people who read the telegraph.

And the telegraph readers are unlikely to be swayed. They'll likely be pleased by getting extra homes being cheaper or see straight through it as they normally do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
And the telegraph readers are unlikely to be swayed. They'll likely be pleased by getting extra homes being cheaper or see straight through it as they normally do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well yeah but it is another calculation Osborne may be making that Medicine missed out.
Well yeah but it is another calculation Osborne may be making that Medicine missed out.

Poor calculation is hardly new for him

Posted from TSR Mobile
Poor calculation is hardly new for him

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it will work for the sorts of people that are well off and don't want to rock the boat. I can see many small 'c' conservatives voting to remain.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think it will work for the sorts of people that are well off and don't want to rock the boat. I can see many small 'c' conservatives voting to remain.

Those that don't want the boat rocking would at the very least have been leaning in regardless

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by Reue
Agreed, but im not sure how best to limit it.

Put an extortionate "vacant housing tax" and/or prevent non-residents to buy properties in London.
Reply 46
Original post by Kutie Karen
Highly unlikely. Where will all these people live? There are so many new developments going up where I live and developers are savvy bunch and would not invest if this was the case.

Many homes are vacant in London. Mostly because there is a terrible speculation from wealthy foreigners, who also buy a flat in London to avoid tax in their home country.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/25/its-like-a-ghost-town-lights-go-out-as-foreign-owners-desert-london-homes

Brexit would force many non-resident Europeans to sell their place in London and therefore give some fresh air to the market.
Those that don't want the boat rocking would at the very least have been leaning in regardless

Posted from TSR Mobile

In fairness I strongly suspect that most of the electorate is in the lean/dont know/dont care camp. There's probably only about 40% of people who feel strongly.

I don't think it will sway too many votes though since I suspect the result will be more down to the people who think immigration is the most important issue vs the economy and always would have been, house price fall or no house price fall.
Original post by Rakas21
In fairness I strongly suspect that most of the electorate is in the lean/dont know/dont care camp. There's probably only about 40% of people who feel strongly.

I don't think it will sway too many votes though since I suspect the result will be more down to the people who think immigration is the most important issue vs the economy and always would have been, house price fall or no house price fall.

40pc sounds about in line with canvassing data I've been told

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Josb
Many homes are vacant in London. Mostly because there is a terrible speculation from wealthy foreigners, who also buy a flat in London to avoid tax in their home country.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/25/its-like-a-ghost-town-lights-go-out-as-foreign-owners-desert-london-homes

Brexit would force many non-resident Europeans to sell their place in London and therefore give some fresh air to the market.

What makes you think the government will kick out these non resident Europeans.

Brexit may limit future immigration but its unlikely to limit the types of people who can buy places in London.
40pc sounds about in line with canvassing data I've been told

Posted from TSR Mobile

More or less in line with the EU elections in 14 too. 40% of people who feel strongly and probably splits something like 25-15 for exit.

At this stage we need a low turnout if we are to leave the EU this time.
Reply 51
Original post by Rakas21
What makes you think the government will kick out these non resident Europeans.

Brexit may limit future immigration but its unlikely to limit the types of people who can buy places in London.

I don't think the government will kick out these non-resident Europeans. Unfortunately. But it may be more difficult to buy there, depending on the deal about freedom of movement & investment that would be negotiated.
Original post by Rakas21
More or less in line with the EU elections in 14 too. 40% of people who feel strongly and probably splits something like 25-15 for exit.

At this stage we need a low turnout if we are to leave the EU this time.

I wouldn't base the 40pc on EU elections, even if it does happen to give the right ballpark

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/20/eu-referendum-george-osborne-house-prices-brexit

Oh no! House prices may go down???? How terrible! :eek3:

How ever will home owners manage.

good it will mean i might afford to buy my shop rather than rent it from the outset
@ChaoticButterfly

I don't see how this would benefit people who can't afford homes. My parents are looking at selling their home. If their house falls to less than what they paid for it, there's no way in hell they're selling. This factored in with the recession predicted to occur post brexit would mean that nobody would sell anything for s***
Original post by Davij038
@ChaoticButterfly

I don't see how this would benefit people who can't afford homes. My parents are looking at selling their home. If their house falls to less than what they paid for it, there's no way in hell they're selling. This factored in with the recession predicted to occur post brexit would mean that nobody would sell anything for s***

There is no credible recession threat anyway, but beyond that there are houses that aren't occupied yet, and any occupied houses that go on the market would still be cheaper

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is no credible recession threat* anyway, but beyond that there are houses that aren't occupied yet, and any occupied houses that go on the market would still be cheaper

Posted from TSR Mobile

* how would it be credible to you, other than if it was a Brexit source saying it?

Awesome. Let's go Brexit so that a tiny percentage of homes will be a bit cheaper.
Original post by Davij038
* how would it be credible to you, other than if it was a Brexit source saying it?

Awesome. Let's go Brexit so that a tiny percentage of homes will be a bit cheaper.

I didn't know that what is claimed to be nearly 100% is tiny

And perhaps if if we're explained why growth would tank I could consider it credible rather than people just saying "this will happen so it will"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Josb

Yes, in posh areas like Kensington and Chelsea. Lets vote leave because this will free up homes for the super rich!
Original post by The_Internet
See I'm a capitalist, but I do think we need some control on house prices, so they're not astronomically high. I think Norway has the right idea. Their wages are higher sure, but even in Oslo, houses cost some £200-300K which isn't all that bad, when you consider that their wages are also higher.

Not many capital cities allow people not from the capital to own property there. It's getting pretty bad for the entire south east.

This being said, I highly doubt leaving the EU would do any thing really for house prices, especially as you'll still have foreign investors. I'm all for foreign investment, but tbh, this isn't providing jobs - it's taking money from the UK, to someone abroad, who then pays for things in their own country. It's not how foreign investments used to be ie: invest in a company, make a profit, and employ people at the same time.

Fully agreed with you- I'm also a Capitalist in favour of controlling house prices. Not sure how it can be done whilst encouraging housebuilders to still build and people to sell their houses, but I don't agree with one bed flats being marketed at £300,000+

Quick Reply