The Student Room Group

How to Revise for GCSE media studies AQA science fiction?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Planetes
I have an annotated version of a brief for this year with potential questions as well as points for revision and a revision guide with case studies as well as model answers for potential questions etc, does anyone want these?

yes please, this would be so helpful!
X

Thank you :smile:
Reply 22
Okay, so here's the annotated brief - ignore the handwriting in blue I had to steal someone else's :P
Below is the link for the revision guide, sorry the model answers are still pending but this should be enough till I can get those done. It may seem really dumbed down but it just makes sure you understand everything about the exam too. As it's for my school there may be many references to it, I would just ignore them and skip the tips haha.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1mbbxvd49hjvg33/Sci%20Fi%20Revision%20Guide.docx?dl=0#

ThAnk you ever so much!!!
Please let me know when you've realised the A* exampler responses 😁
Does anyone know if we're able to change the titles on the three briefs we have got? I asked my media teacher and she wasn't sure, does anyone know anything about it as the titles really aren't too great and don't not suit the film I amgoing for.
Yes please
Reply 25
Original post by EJWellwood
Does anyone know if we're able to change the titles on the three briefs we have got? I asked my media teacher and she wasn't sure, does anyone know anything about it as the titles really aren't too great and don't not suit the film I amgoing for.

yes you are meant to change it as its only the WORKING title
Original post by Real_jenn
yes you are meant to change it as its only the WORKING title

Thanks its just my media teacher did not know. Good luck for the exam!
I have an annotated version of a brief for this year with potential questions as well as points for revision and a revision guide with case studies as well as model answers for potential questions etc, does anyone want these?

Can i have this?
Does anybody know how to answer this question/ have a model answer to it:

We think sci-fi films are commercially successful because:
- they are high productive value escapist entertainment
- they often hybridise with other genres
- they have an existing fan base that consume sci-fi media on a range of platforms
Develop the above points and also explain why you think sci-fi films are commercially successful? Give examples to support your views. (15 marks)
Okay, so here's the annotated brief - ignore the handwriting in blue I had to steal someone else's :P
Below is the link for the revision guide, sorry the model answers are still pending but this should be enough till I can get those done. It may seem really dumbed down but it just makes sure you understand everything about the exam too. As it's for my school there may be many references to it, I would just ignore them and skip the tips haha.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1mbbxvd49hjvg33/Sci%20Fi%20Revision%20Guide.docx?dl=0#

When will the A* example answer be completed? As the test if fast aproaching, it would be a pleasure.

And is it possible if you can give me the media estudies log in, as I'm finding the media test challenging

I need it!! Please
Original post by Steampunk_Turtle
Guys it's pretty easy.
3 case studies about science fiction for the essay
Pick one of the ideas and then flesh it out with key concepts and stuff
Design tasks -they talk about e media a lot
Just PEEL everything and refer to case studies a lot- also answer the question.
You left it really late to ask for help becasue the teachers can't help you anymore

3 case studies? whats this all about?

(edited) HAHA ignore this i realise you are on about the films!! first time ive heard of them being called case studies.
my teacher said that you only really need 2 to compare.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rajive
An AQA examiner came to our school and said that they have to be relevant with what your talking about.

but then thats not really exploring the knowledge of the sci fi genre.. all the past papers ive done have been talking about the science fiction genre in general rather then just choosing case studies to answer that question according to your brief
Reply 33
Original post by erosesme
but then thats not really exploring the knowledge of the sci fi genre.. all the past papers ive done have been talking about the science fiction genre in general rather then just choosing case studies to answer that question according to your brief

Yes it is, because whilst you are giving examples of sci-fi genre, your expanding your knowledge which is then applicable to your idea. If an AQA examiner said this then it must be right.

Come correct please.
Original post by Rajive
Yes it is, because whilst you are giving examples of sci-fi genre, your expanding your knowledge which is then applicable to your idea. If an AQA examiner said this then it must be right.

Come correct please.

surely then you're only exploring parts of the sub genre though and not sci-fi as a whole.

how come an AQA examiner came in anyway
Reply 35
surely then you're only exploring parts of the sub genre though and not sci-fi as a whole.

how come an AQA examiner came in anyway

But all sci fi movies have the same codes and conventions anyway.
Original post by Rajive
But all sci fi movies have the same codes and conventions anyway.

to a basic extent yes. but not all sci fi movies have aliens, or time travel, or cgi, or futuristic elements. by only looking at one of the briefs, for example 'space and time' you'll only be looking at sci fi films for your first task, with space and time in them.. so the hunger games couldn't go in there, or avatar, or the matrix, etc.
Reply 37
to a basic extent yes. but not all sci fi movies have aliens, or time travel, or cgi, or futuristic elements. by only looking at one of the briefs, for example 'space and time' you'll only be looking at sci fi films for your first task, with space and time in them.. so the hunger games couldn't go in there, or avatar, or the matrix, etc.

True, have you read the description for the briefs? They represent dystopian societies at some point which is in all sci fi movies.

Have you got the pastpapers or the markscheme. It would be really useful. Legit have no idea what to write because I have not seen any examples or model answers.
Original post by Rajive
True, have you read the description for the briefs? They represent dystopian societies at some point which is in all sci fi movies.

What did this AQA examiner say?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending