The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineering - take gap year(to do Physics) or go through adjustment?

I done poorly last year for my AS exams. I never put in enough work, was demotivated and thus performed badly.

Started doing my work at around early July last year and have been consistent with my work and I feel as if I will get 2 A*'s and an A in Maths, Further Maths and Economics respectively.

I applied to relatively low universities as my idea was that if just incase I wanted to go university this September, I could apply through adjustment with good grades or else I could take a gap year.

The problem is, I don't do Physics. The best university I can go to without Physics is probably Manchester which I believe is a good university. Should I go to Manchester? Or should I take a gap year and apply to other universities whilst doing Physics in my gap year. Universities such as Imperial, Bath, Bristol and Southampton?

What do you think?

Thanks.
Original post by sjaan
I done poorly last year for my AS exams. I never put in enough work, was demotivated and thus performed badly.

Started doing my work at around early July last year and have been consistent with my work and I feel as if I will get 2 A*'s and an A in Maths, Further Maths and Economics respectively.

I applied to relatively low universities as my idea was that if just incase I wanted to go university this September, I could apply through adjustment with good grades or else I could take a gap year.

The problem is, I don't do Physics. The best university I can go to without Physics is probably Manchester which I believe is a good university. Should I go to Manchester? Or should I take a gap year and apply to other universities whilst doing Physics in my gap year. Universities such as Imperial, Bath, Bristol and Southampton?

What do you think?

Thanks.

I would just see what comes up in adjustment and then make your decision then, however you need to bare in mind that going through adjustment means that you might not get a place in university accommodation so that can be a bit stressful to get sorted last minute. Maybe visit Manchester after your exams to look round the campus to help you make a decision.
Have you checked that bath, imperial and southampton accept a levels over 3 years as that should have an impact on your decision?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
I would just see what comes up in adjustment and then make your decision then, however you need to bare in mind that going through adjustment means that you might not get a place in university accommodation so that can be a bit stressful to get sorted last minute. Maybe visit Manchester after your exams to look round the campus to help you make a decision.
Have you checked that bath, imperial and southampton accept a levels over 3 years as that should have an impact on your decision?

I think that Imperial is the only university which may have a problem with A-Levels taken over 3 years.

What are chances of me not recieving university accommodation when going through adjustment?
Original post by sjaan
I think that Imperial is the only university which may have a problem with A-Levels taken over 3 years.

What are chances of me not recieving university accommodation when going through adjustment?

It would depend on the university city really, each will have different amounts of spaces in halls, some will be able to guarantee through clearing/adjustment but some wont have any at all.
Reply 4
It would depend on the university city really, each will have different amounts of spaces in halls, some will be able to guarantee through clearing/adjustment but some wont have any at all.

Thanks!

Is there a large difference between the ME course between Bristol, Imperial and Manchester? Like how hard it is, the content and job prospects?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sjaan
Thanks!

Is there a large difference between in the ME course between perhaps Bristol, Imperial and Manchester? Like how hard it is, the content and so on?

I'm afraid i dont know the answer to that, you can look on whatuni for nss survey results that tell you how many people got a 1st for instance but thats quite subjective.
Reply 6
I'm afraid i dont know the answer to that, you can look on whatuni for nss survey results that tell you how many people got a 1st for instance but thats quite subjective.

Alright, I'll check it out.

Thanks for you're help.

Do Imperial partake in adjustment?
Reply 8
Original post by L'Evil Wolf
Do Imperial partake in adjustment?

No

Posted from TSR Mobile

Misread OP's question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending