The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel Official Business Unit 1: Marketing and people - 19th of MAy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by igotnomoney
Not much that could be asked over this topic, you just need to be aware of different legislation that include employee, cosumers and environment ... Make sure that you remember the name of atleast one e.g for consumers you could remember sales of good act etc .. This will really show the examiner that you fully understand ... You also need to be able to discuss factors that it has affect on business e.g sale of goods act will force business to make sure that their product is safe to use, this will mean that they will recruit high quality staff or use high quality resources, this will increase their cost etc etc hope it helps and guves you an idea of what to expect

Thank you!!! I study law so this topic shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Original post by Foji
What's so bad about sources of finance...? Long term, medium term & short term...? Not too hard. Competitive environment is more of an issue, 20 mark on that, damn.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That would be a pretty bad question, i suppose you just say why it's good and evaluate why it isn't
By the way can some one suggest possible evaluation point that could be raised that is general but could be applied through the business questions

Well you have you short run, long run evaluation. Capapcity utilization is one that could link to quite a few topics. And you could talk about a MOPS factor (their market, their objectives, their product and their situatuon).
I feel that since i have not been able to manage my time well on theme 1 , ill be able to do it well on next one , hope this one is A ... Ill be happy with b in theme 1 but i was expecting A .. Oh well it happens
I feel that since i have not been able to manage my time well on theme 1 , ill be able to do it well on next one , hope this one is A ... Ill be happy with b in theme 1 but i was expecting A .. Oh well it happens

Same for me, what do you think the boundaries will be?

Same, I've been getting 70s all year and i got 79 in my mock. Theme 1 was a duty disaster. I wrote about 1 price and 1 non price factor :biggrin:, talked about complete rubbish in my 20 marker, i didn't understand the second YED question, i couldn't answer the 8 mark distribution question very well. I'll be luck to get over 45 marks. I need a miracle in the next paper to not get a D. :rofl3:
Original post by hw1221
Same for me, what do you think the boundaries will be?

I reckon about 63 for an A and about 55 for a B, 48 for a C, 41 for a D and 35 for an E.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Bruce267099
I reckon about 63 for an A and about 55 for a B, 48 for a C, 41 for a D and 35 for an E.

If everyone found it that hard I think an A might be in the 50's.
Original post by hw1221
If everyone found it that hard I think an A might be in the 50's.

i dont think they will be that low seeing as i got around 54 or something (it was like 64%) and that was a C
Original post by Rainbowcorn
i dont think they will be that low seeing as i got around 54 or something (it was like 64%) and that was a C

It was a hardish paper, so i think around 60ish
It was a hardish paper, so i think around 60ish

To be honest when i did my mocks i got 63 and 65, only because i did poor at 20 marker, i lost 10 marks there .... This was an A .... I found that the questions wer ok to answer execept the social trend one ... According to people i have talked to,, they did worst there aswell .... What affected me in the exam was that i did really spot much on case study which i think i have definitely lost evaluation and that conclusion marks ... Hope the grade bondaries drop... Since you are probably from different coledges in uk, how did your student found it, in here most people found it difficult
To be honest when i did my mocks i got 63 and 65, only because i did poor at 20 marker, i lost 10 marks there .... This was an A .... I found that the questions wer ok to answer execept the social trend one ... According to people i have talked to,, they did worst there aswell .... What affected me in the exam was that i did really spot much on case study which i think i have definitely lost evaluation and that conclusion marks ... Hope the grade bondaries drop... Since you are probably from different coledges in uk, how did your student found it, in here most people found it difficult

Most people said the same, there was very little application throughout the whole paper to apply to questions and we only learned 2 social trends and the only one i could apply was online retailing. Everyone found it hard except 2 people i was one of the top business students at my college and i really struggled, it wasn't the content or the question the case studies really restricted my answers and since i screwed up a knowledge mark at the beginning or the 20 markers i'll get 0 marks for that point. :tongue:

People at my college found it tough and the teacher said it was quite hard too.
What are the ways to improve capacity utilisation?
Original post by Midnight1811
What are the ways to improve capacity utilisation?

You could increase sales so you then make more output hence more labout or machinery will be used ( this is done through promotion)
You could also talk about the fact that some busineses sell more of their product at peak hours, you could use incentives such as promoting off peak hour and hence use that time to sell of your product etc
Redeploy staff at other things e.g when there too many staff working at one part of the business, some of these could be redeploy at other part where there isnt much out put.
You could also take outsource from the business
These are the only things i van think off, hope it helps :biggrin:
You could increase sales so you then make more output hence more labout or machinery will be used ( this is done through promotion)
You could also talk about the fact that some busineses sell more of their product at peak hours, you could use incentives such as promoting off peak hour and hence use that time to sell of your product etc
Redeploy staff at other things e.g when there too many staff working at one part of the business, some of these could be redeploy at other part where there isnt much out put.
You could also take outsource from the business
These are the only things i van think off, hope it helps :biggrin:

With your first point regarding increasing sales, through say a promotion, will this mean more of the capacity of the business is being utilised? e.g. capacity is at 60%, but then through promotion, sales increasing meaning capacity reaches say 85%?

They're hypothetical figures just used to test my understanding.
With your first point regarding increasing sales, through say a promotion, will this mean more of the capacity of the business is being utilised? e.g. capacity is at 60%, but then through promotion, sales increasing meaning capacity reaches say 85%?

Yep, you cracked it. Thats right, as more promotion is used, there will be more deman of their products hence the capacity utiliaztion will increase just like you said :smile:
Most people said the same, there was very little application throughout the whole paper to apply to questions and we only learned 2 social trends and the only one i could apply was online retailing. Everyone found it hard except 2 people i was one of the top business students at my college and i really struggled, it wasn't the content or the question the case studies really restricted my answers and since i screwed up a knowledge mark at the beginning or the 20 markers i'll get 0 marks for that point. :tongue:

i found that there was little to apply to the question too! so annoying :frown:

i thought it meant more like how can you increase maximum capacity (say if youre already at 100%) not how to increase output :frown:(
Original post by Rainbowcorn
i thought it meant more like how can you increase maximum capacity (say if youre already at 100%) not how to increase output :frown:(

Think about it, of there are more outputs then there will be more use of machines hence capacity utilization will go near to 100%

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending