The Student Room Group

RAMADAN 2016 Any muslims planning on secretly not fasting?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Nope, officially no water is allowed and you're not even allowed to brush your teeth so most muslims' breath stinks to high heaven, it's the smelliest month of the year by far.

What??? Oh my God I thought you guys were? Last Ramadan my Muslim friends were saying that they were all allowed to brush at dawn.
I'd call it stupidity instead of admiration when every year there are reports of muslims in those countries dying from dehydration. They sacrificed their life for a silly superstition.........
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
What??? Oh my God I thought you guys were? Last Ramadan my Muslim friends were saying that they were all allowed to brush at dawn.

maybe it depends on the family but most don't
Reply 263
I think they eat at dawn. I know that it's easiest to fast in Australia because of the sun setting faster or something. Can't remember the reason why.

Fasting in Iceland must be easy in winter, but impossible in Summer.
Original post by Rhythmical
It's worse in Sweden and other Nordic countries as the sunset isn't until very late, they can fast for nearly 23 hours.

Original post by Anonymous
Nope, officially no water is allowed and you're not even allowed to brush your teeth so most muslims' breath stinks to high heaven, it's the smelliest month of the year by far.

That what makes Muslim fasts so gruelling. Especially in the summer when it's so hot. A lot of Muslims have called Hindu fasts "not real fasts" because we're allowed to drink water and milk and eat fruit.

But yeah I don't blame OP if she doesn't want to. Must be so hard.

How testing, I mean, I admire your dedication to actually do that. I once did 24 hours with no food whatsoever and that was enough for me for a while

Practically cruelty to humans
Reply 265
It's worse in Sweden and other Nordic countries as the sunset isn't until very late, they can fast for nearly 23 hours.

I think that the person who wrote the Qu'ran wasn't aware of the midnight Sun.
Original post by Josb
Fasting in Iceland must be easy in winter, but impossible in Summer.

Iceland has virtually no Muslims so...

I remember when I fasted I lasted from 8am to 3am the next day with just a few fruits and a bottle of water. It was hard...
It is pretty intense, there is an option to give money to people in need if you cannot fast but I don't see why we cannot do that anyway and skip the fasting and just give the money. Like two of my exams fall under Ramadan
Reply 268
A large number of Muslim parents force their children to do it, even during exams. :rolleyes:
Original post by Josb

I think muslims have to follow Mecca time then.
Reply 270

We should have midnight Sun too.
Original post by Josb

Nope indeed. It is so intense and I have respect for them fasting more than myself, it must be crazy. By the time they break their fast and complete it, it's time to start fasting again...
Original post by Josb
A large number of Muslim parents force their children to do it, even during exams. :rolleyes:

Well done for making such a broad claim without providing evidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I remember when I fasted I lasted from 8am to 3am the next day with just a few fruits and a bottle of water. It was hard...

Fasting is tough. I broke mine with a pizza. Best tasting pizza ever

It is pretty intense, there is an option to give money to people in need if you cannot fast but I don't see why we cannot do that anyway and skip the fasting and just give the money. Like two of my exams fall under Ramadan

Mandantory fasting is kind of stupid if you ask me, it doesn't actually help the people you're meant to be doing it for, does it?

Original post by Josb

That's shocking and should be illegal
Original post by Zayn is Bae

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you actually think Muslim parents will openly say in public that they force their kids to fast?

Broke mine with garlic naan and chickpeas :tongue:
Reply 275
Original post by Zayn is Bae

You just have to read some TSR threads about Ramadan, or the ex-Muslim society.

Edit: read the first page of this thread.
(edited 7 years ago)
I know, it should be that we provide food for those who need it and give them money not fast as essentially it makes no difference except for cleansing your sins. Every time I bring this up with my mum she shuts me down and says we have to fast, but for what though? If it's to help people in need then technically it doesn't..
Reply 277
Fasting is something practiced in several religions not just Islam for example Christianity it gives a taste of what its like for the people starving around the world and even then its not enough as we are greeted to a huge feast at the end of they day, when they arent as for brushing ur teeth that is allowed because u dont exactly swallow ur toothpaste or drink the water unless ur some retard.
Do you actually think Muslim parents will openly say in public that they force their kids to fast?

Broke mine with garlic naan and chickpeas :tongue:

Noice :smile:
Pigged out so much the next day. Ngl it was the nicest plate of beans,sausages and eggs ever for breakfast :colone:

Quick Reply