The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University options

I am thinking of doing a open university course in Feb 2017 and I was wondering what are people experiences of the Open University?
What can I expect?
Original post by thilton1
I am thinking of doing a open university course in Feb 2017 and I was wondering what are people experiences of the Open University?
What can I expect?

I've never studied with them, but you can find reviews of each module written by people who studied them on the OU website. You will also see a description of the assessment methods. Here is an example.

You will possibly have the option of attending classes occasionally in person or attending a residential school, but this differs from module to module. In general, your learning will be mostly online and self-guided. You will have access to forums where you can discuss things with other students and usually a phone/email address so you can talk to your assigned tutor. There are often Facebook groups for certain degrees now as well, though I cannot speak to their usefulness.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Hi :smile:

I'm studying with Open Uni at the moment, and I find it fits around my 30 hour job easily, hence why I chose it! It takes a lot of self discipline and self belief, but once you get into the swing of it, it's easier.
Each module is obviously different, but in mine it includes lectures with my tutor and cluster group, which are all done online, as well as day schools you can choose to go too if you wish. My tutor is really helpful and always replies to the emails I send them quickly, and even the Facebook groups are helpful, as you get to speak to people who are doing the same module as you so it doesn't feel so alone for you!

Good luck in your studies! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest