The Student Room Group

Becoming a neurosurgeon??

Hello everyone, first of all thxs for coming to my thread lo.l. Anyway im 12 yrs old and i wannabe a neurosurgeon. I want to go to Leicester university. I know that the entry requirements for that uni is at least a grade C in English Language and Mathematics, and Grade B in 2 sciences, including Chemistry, or Double Science. Im taking my IGCSE Edexcel Bio, Chem and Phys and Math GCSE AQA this yr nxt year English and Geography , (im homeschooled btw),
and for A-levels, 3 is needed but im planning on taking 4 when im 14 ( Physics and Math at 14 then Chem and Bio at 15) but i was wondering how long it actually takes to become a neurosurgeon??? Any answer would be useful.
Thanks!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Talkand...Talk
Hello everyone, first of all thxs for coming to my thread lo.l. Anyway im 12 yrs old and i wannabe a neurosurgeon. I want to go to Leicester university. I know that the entry requirements for that uni is at least a grade C in English Language and Mathematics, and Grade B in 2 sciences, including Chemistry, or Double Science. Im taking my IGCSE Edexcel Bio, Chem and Phys and Math GCSE AQA this yr nxt year English and Geography , (im homeschooled btw),
and for A-levels, 3 is needed but im planning on taking 4 when im 14 ( Physics and Math at 14 then Chem and Bio at 15) but i was wondering how long it actually takes to become a neurosurgeon??? Any answer would be useful.
Thanks!!

I think the same amount of time as medical school and are you a genius?
Original post by zXcodeXz
I think the same amount of time as medical school and are you a genius?

Lol, not me my dad lol, i came out of school at 8yrs old, then when i was 11 i took my GCSE foundation and got C what is a top mark but i dont think im that naturally gifted i think its bcz of my hard work, if u were taken out and ur dad set the same standard for u, u would defo do it bcz of hard work!! Lol that was long :biggrin:
Thxs for replying to me, though ppl would blank me lol :biggrin:
Lol, not me my dad lol, i came out of school at 8yrs old, then when i was 11 i took my GCSE foundation and got C what is a top mark but i dont think im that naturally gifted i think its bcz of my hard work, if u were taken out and ur dad set the same standard for u, u would defo do it bcz of hard work!! Lol that was long :biggrin:
Thxs for replying to me, though ppl would blank me lol :biggrin:

Are you re-taking maths in higher tier for like an A instead of C or are you keeping that?
Original post by zXcodeXz
Are you re-taking maths in higher tier for like an A instead of C or are you keeping that?

No i didnt take higher tier last year, i took foundation and C the maximum mark in foundation math. this yr im taking the higher im aiming for a A*.
Chem im aiming for A
Physics im aiming for A
Math im aiming for A*
Bio im aiming for A*

Lol bcz i know that competition is high in medicine :biggrin:
No i didnt take higher tier last year, i took foundation and C the maximum mark in foundation math. this yr im taking the higher im aiming for a A*.
Chem im aiming for A
Physics im aiming for A
Math im aiming for A*
Bio im aiming for A*

Lol bcz i know that competition is high in medicine :biggrin:

Yes that's true, how come your doing your GCSE's very very early?
So that i can spread my GCSE's and A-levels out, so that i can like get the best grades in my subjects, i enjoy being home schooled bcz its a much smaller class, only me and my brother AND i get to have loads of brakes and i can stay in my PJ's all day LOL!!! One of my friends who is 15 is doing 13 exams i was "WOHAAA girl im happy im doing only 4 exams this yr" lol :biggrin: :biggrin:
Thanks!!

Firstly, there is a big difference between minimum requirements and what will actually get you an interview. Leicester operates a scoring system so you need to score well across the board, although a high UKCAT can make up for grades somewhat.

Secondly, there isn't much point taking exams early. You can't start medicine before you're 18. Also it will look weird to take 2 a-levels in one year and two the next.

As for length? Well 5-6 years for med school. 2 years foundation training, neurosurgery is then run through so you can enter straight in to a training job. And the run through training lasts for 8 years, not including the time off you'll inevitably need to take for research. But the competition for neurosurgery is insane so don't expect to necessarily get a job on your first year applying.
http://careers.bmj.com/careers/advice/A_career_in_neurosurgery%3A_selection,_training,_and_beyond
So that i can spread my GCSE's and A-levels out, so that i can like get the best grades in my subjects, i enjoy being home schooled bcz its a much smaller class, only me and my brother AND i get to have loads of brakes and i can stay in my PJ's all day LOL!!! One of my friends who is 15 is doing 13 exams i was "WOHAAA girl im happy im doing only 4 exams this yr" lol :biggrin: :biggrin:

Spreading exams and qualifications out is a bad idea in medicine. A-levels need to be taken in a 2 year period.
Ok i usnderstand that

2. its MY CAREER i dont care what looks weird and what dosent bcz after all the uni's only care about the papers, not how much u completed in a year!

3. WAIT WAIT... HOLD UP... SO U ACTUALLY THINK that focusing on 13 EXAMS is the easier than focusing on 4 EXAMS!!!! U have it twisted. I can focus on 4 SUBJECTS while ppl at school are stressed Over 13, i dont agree with that!!

4. THEY DO NOT need to be taken in a 2 yr period, remember i am not at school my dad is a private teacher and has his own rules, and HE is teaching me and which rule says u NEED to take a-levels over a 2 year period????
It's great to have ambition so young but as others have said, you can't start medicine until you're 18!
I'd hang fire with your exams right now but read ahead on the subjects and how life as a medic is in general to get you motivated.

One thing I regretted not starting early as an aspiring surgeon was work experience or even trying to get involved in more things like SJA, becoming head girl/boy and volunteering as much as possible! You will struggle to get work experience so young but there's PLENTY to do in the mean time to boost that future personal statement!
Ok i usnderstand that

2. its MY CAREER i dont care what looks weird and what dosent bcz after all the uni's only care about the papers, not how much u completed in a year!

3. WAIT WAIT... HOLD UP... SO U ACTUALLY THINK that focusing on 13 EXAMS is the easier than focusing on 4 EXAMS!!!! U have it twisted. I can focus on 4 SUBJECTS while ppl at school are stressed Over 13, i dont agree with that!!

4. THEY DO NOT need to be taken in a 2 yr period, remember i am not at school my dad is a private teacher and has his own rules, and HE is teaching me and which rule says u NEED to take a-levels over a 2 year period????

If you want to apply to medicine then a-levels need to be taken in a 2 year period. Thats just how it is. Being home schooled is not a valid reason for spreading exams out.

But as you seem to have already decided to take the lazy route, I'll wish you luck. But I seriously suggest researching medicine entry requirements before planning your exam schedule.
EXCUES ME..
Do u know how much hard work and dedication me and my dad have put into this, u ppl at school have 6 WHOLE YRS TO study, we had 4 WHOLE YEARS now dont u dare say im taking the lazy route!!! Your just jealous of a 12yr old.
Ok why dont WE check the entry requirements out:

These are the entry requirements for UK students for 2017 entry. You must have been resident in the UK for at least three years before the course starts, not for educational purposes. There are separate entry requirements for applicants from EU countries, Commonwealth countries and other countries.A LevelsWith the advent of linear A levels we now require candidates applying as undergraduates to have 3 subjects including Chemistry and Biology (or Human Biology), with predicted grades of AAA.We do not currently insist on a 4th AS or EPQ, although in some situations eg a tie-break pre- or post-interview, or a ‘near miss’ on results day, this may act in a candidate’s favour.If Biology is offered to AS it does not need to be taken to A level as well.Our standard offer is AAA.If you study Mathematics and Further Mathematics, you may only count one of these grades towards your potential offer.If you are taking a language as one of your subjects we will ask for a declaration that you are not a native or home speaker of that language.General Studies and Critical Thinking are not accepted.GCSEsYou must have achieved at least a grade C in English Language and Mathematics, and Grade B in 2 sciences, including Chemistry, or Double Science. We do not specify a minimum number of A* grades at GCSE. However, we do take GCSE performance into consideration when selecting applicants for interview, as competition for our places is so intense.
THERE now check ur pathetic so-called facts before u come to me

When assessing your suitability for the workload required for success in medicine, universities will look at your past track record in exams. One thing they will certainly look at is you ability to simultaneously get top grades in three A levels studied over two years. Most medical schools have this as a requirement. Before you start you A levels you should investigate exactly what Leicester and other universities require of you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
EXCUES ME..
Do u know how much hard work and dedication me and my dad have put into this, u ppl at school have 6 WHOLE YRS TO study, we had 4 WHOLE YEARS now dont u dare say im taking the lazy route!!! Your just jealous of a 12yr old.
Ok why dont WE check the entry requirements out:

These are the entry requirements for UK students for 2017 entry. You must have been resident in the UK for at least three years before the course starts, not for educational purposes. There are separate entry requirements for applicants from EU countries, Commonwealth countries and other countries.A LevelsWith the advent of linear A levels we now require candidates applying as undergraduates to have 3 subjects including Chemistry and Biology (or Human Biology), with predicted grades of AAA.We do not currently insist on a 4th AS or EPQ, although in some situations eg a tie-break pre- or post-interview, or a ‘near miss’ on results day, this may act in a candidate’s favour.If Biology is offered to AS it does not need to be taken to A level as well.Our standard offer is AAA.If you study Mathematics and Further Mathematics, you may only count one of these grades towards your potential offer.If you are taking a language as one of your subjects we will ask for a declaration that you are not a native or home speaker of that language.General Studies and Critical Thinking are not accepted.GCSEsYou must have achieved at least a grade C in English Language and Mathematics, and Grade B in 2 sciences, including Chemistry, or Double Science. We do not specify a minimum number of A* grades at GCSE. However, we do take GCSE performance into consideration when selecting applicants for interview, as competition for our places is so intense.
THERE now check ur pathetic so-called facts before u come to me

I was simply going on your own statement.

I have no desire to be 12 years old again, nor would I ever be jealous of one. I was trying to offer advice and prevent you making life hard for yourself when you come to apply to medicine but you seem to have formed your own ideas of what it takes.

May I suggest in future, that when you ask for advice, you take the constructive advice offered to you.
Original post by ForestCat
I was simply going on your own statement.

I have no desire to be 12 years old again, nor would I ever be jealous of one. I was trying to offer advice and prevent you making life hard for yourself when you come to apply to medicine but you seem to have formed your own ideas of what it takes.

May I suggest in future, that when you ask for advice, you take the constructive advice offered to you.

IM SOOOOO sorry :frown: thats exactly what my mum said to me, she said every time someone said something critical i react like a pathetic 5 yr old. Im sorry ur right and THANK YOU for the advice, u could have easily of ignored me but no u decided to help me, thank u. Sorry i feel so silly right now, i know with this attitude i will NEVER become a neurosurgeon so i betetr improve, THANK U for making me realise this. I will now start improving mysefl :frown:

THANK U and SORRY
Original post by gdunne42
When assessing your suitability for the workload required for success in medicine, universities will look at your past track record in exams. One thing they will certainly look at is you ability to simultaneously get top grades in three A levels studied over two years. Most medical schools have this as a requirement. Before you start you A levels you should investigate exactly what Leicester and other universities require of you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thxs for the helpful advice :smile:
Just to confirm you need to explore exactly how your application will be evaluated.
have a read of this
https://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/medicine/applying/documents/a100-scoring-document-2017

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Either this person shouldn't ever deal with people, or is a troll
Original post by Loyota
Either this person shouldn't ever deal with people, or is a troll

Or just young :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending