The Student Room Group

Please grade this english work!

What do you think the importance of the inspector is in the play and how does Priestley present him?
Before the arrival of inspector Goole, Mr Birling gives his precious and mighty speech to convey a message to his family, but in the arrival of inspector Goole things immediately change, as he’s walking down slowly, it shows his character of one that fulfils its responsibility and shows he’s fulfilling his duties and meeting the needs of his profession. We see him when he enters the house of the birling, when entering the house of Mr birling he’s asked if he wants to drink something, his answer is a blatant ‘’no thank you Mr birling, I’m on duty’’ which used to allow priestly to show how inspector Goole fulfils his duty and isn’t interested to know anything but meeting the needs of his job and abstains from things that aren’t related to work. Furthermore priestly shows his politeness at the same time because he says ‘’no thank you’’, his politeness might demonstrate that the birling family are about to hear pleasant news about something, but clearly an inspector isn’t there to hold jokes amongst people, and we realise straight after that he says ‘’I’m on duty’’ this shows the sense of clarity that he has for his job and that he might probably hold the most vital information, but at the same time, most serious information for the birling’s family to know. The usage of this not only demonstrate a lack of happiness at this very beginning of inspector Goole arrival but clearly shows that something very accurate and true is about to happen.
Furthermore priestly again has developed a sense of clarity for inspector Goole’s character but this time openly saying what needs to say because earlier on he was only introduced to the family and now he’s mentions why he’s there at there to do not actually what he’s going to do but partially we get an idea of what he’s going to do. ‘’ it’s the way l like to go to work’’, one person and one line of inquiry at a time’’. This shows his feelings towards his job and that he’s a person of responsibilities but at the same time he’s organised, and we see that he’s recently being transferred and that shows that something very disturbing has taken place and therefore he has had to visit the birling’s to ask questions regarding what could’ve happen or what could have they done to harm someone. Priestley has used this character to perfectly control the atmosphere in the entire play but at this particular scene we can think of a different way that priestly has presented because this time priestly, inspector has being defined as probably being the most peaceful and simple character in the entire play because he thinks that it’s important that something should sorted out amongst the birling’s and him and Priestley might be showing this to negotiate with the birling’s to own up to what they might have done.

I really appreciate answers to what grade this work would be for a Year 11 student.
Ah an inspector calls, my old friend. I remember that from GCSE all those years ago...
Original post by Platopus
Ah an inspector calls, my old friend. I remember that from GCSE all those years ago...

What grade would you give it?
Its for my bro please help
Original post by Maryam_Alayha14
What grade would you give it?
Its for my bro please help

The GCSE grading system has changed to numbers or something since I took them so I don't know what number this would equate to but I'd give it a B... Bearing in mind I am not a teacher therefore probably not qualified to pass judgement!
Original post by Platopus
The GCSE grading system has changed to numbers or something since I took them so I don't know what number this would equate to but I'd give it a B... Bearing in mind I am not a teacher therefore probably not qualified to pass judgement!

Thank u so much

u should read the new post on this, this is only half of the work
In exam conditions ( as this looks like a past paper question), low-medium B.

The reason I would struggle to give it more marks is because you haven't really used enough quotes and tracked the play with him really well. You need to make a point, back it with evidence and then analyse and speculate. When you say he controls the atmosphere, you need to say how he did it and what effect it has. I feel like you've missed the main idea of what Inspector Goole is. But it is definitely a good start. You could be more succinct with your points which provides a better focus to the question.

I hope I have given enough feedback. Good luck.
Reply 6
This is really good I would give it a grade 5 which is a lower B I am giving this grade because not enough .interpretations .. quotes ...and you also need to link it to the context and maybe Simone de Beauvoir That would be my feedback I hope it is helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending