The Student Room Group

Teacher jailed for 12 months for sex with 16 y.o. pupil

Scroll to see replies

I'm not sure here, isn't 16 the age of consent in England? Can adults have sex with minors?

Provided he had sex willingly (and within age of consent laws) and wasn't threatened or coerced into it, I don't think the kid was 'wronged' to the point of needing to incarcerate the teacher for 12 months.

Regardless, it certainly isn't appropriate to have sex with your students, so firing her would certainly be appropriate.

I would say the exact same thing about a male teacher and a female student, by the way.
Maybe the victim will be given extra time in his exams ? :dontknow:
The victim here is the teacher's husband.
But his mother was unconvinced and her suspicions intensified after her son abandoned plans to study medicine and said he would instead take geography at Sussex University and then be a teacher. Cox had done the same.

Well, that is also a little creepy.
Poor lad :frown:
Reply 45
Original post by simon_g
would you complain if it would be 16yo girl being shagged by 27yo male teacher?
jokes aside, things like that- although not physically violent ect- will affect someone psyche.

I think being dragged to court and told that you've been through an appalling ordeal by lawyers and policemen would certainly be the more damaging part of something like this.
Original post by Erebor
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3599297/Married-geography-teacher-27-sex-16-year-old-pupil-car-six-month-affair-started-propositioned-giving-lift-home.html

12 months for sexually abusing a child and destroying his life? Unbelievable.... I hope the poor boy can recover from this horrific experience. :frown:

Why would it ruin his life?

Posted from TSR Mobile
There was this male teacher at my school that had sex with a 14 year old girl and sexually abused 2 other girls and only got 3 years (one year per attack)- So I actually don't think the sentences are that much different is a lot of cases.
In this situation, just like a user said, people usually praise the male "victims" and see it as rewarding (it's usually guys who do this) and then they complain after that "oh, why do men and women get different sentences?" well maybe that's why!?
Reply 48
Original post by Novascope
You know what's funny? When I see people complaining (mostly men) about when a woman doesn't get a long enough sentence in comparison to a man. Yet when these cases do come around, who are the ones making a joke of it and essentially saying the male victim was "lucky" and so on? Men. It's all so very hypocritical :s-smilie:

Unless of course some men say one thing, and other men say another. It is only hypocritical if the same people are contradicting themselves.
Original post by Dandaman1
I'm not sure here, isn't 16 the age of consent in England? Can adults have sex with minors?

Provided he had sex willingly (and within age of consent laws) and wasn't threatened or coerced into it, I don't think the kid was 'wronged' to the point of needing to incarcerate the teacher for 12 months.

Regardless, it certainly isn't appropriate to have sex with your students, so firing her would certainly be appropriate.

I would say the exact same thing about a male teacher and a female student, by the way.

This pretty much.
The whole thing is kind of weird she must have a thing for younger guys
How did she get 12 months when Adam Johnson got 6 years for less?!

Having said that, props to the boy. Is game must be strong
Reply 52
Original post by KimKallstrom
How did she get 12 months when Adam Johnson got 6 years for less?!

Having said that, props to the boy. Is game must be strong

Her conviction was basically for abusing her position of trust. His was for sexual activity with a child.
Reply 53
Original post by Dandaman1

She was in a position of trust, hence the crime.
Mother asked the teacher "How do you sleep at night?"

Teacher: "With your son ... "
What a terrible ordeal lel
Original post by IAmYourdog
holy ****. I think the victim was on TSR!

found the thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=64758687&highlight=

That's too recent.
Original post by DrLovejoy
Why would it ruin his life?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For me, this is the really eye-opening part of the article:

"But his mother was unconvinced and her suspicions intensified after her son abandoned plans to study medicine and said he would instead take geography at Sussex University and then be a teacher. Cox had done the same."

It goes to show that the affair was having a negative influence on his aspirations (sorry to any Geographers in this thread). It's also evident she was disturbing his GCSE study leave, and that's probably just the tip of the iceberg. Putting aside the laws about position of trust there was obviously a very toxic element to this. It had to be stopped.
Wait - did she do anything illegal?
Having consensual sex with a 16 year old?
?
Original post by offhegoes
She was in a position of trust, hence the crime.

This string of profanities is not directed at you:

Which backwards, brain damaged, frog licking ****witt decided that sex was somehow the opposite of trust?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending