The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE PE 20th May 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dannysmart
What did the first question ask? And what was the answer?

It was which one of these is an example of the 'performing at maximum levels' way of thinking. I think the answer was competitive swimming
Original post by studentshavefun
I put TV and then one way is can be influenced by role models and then another way is she can copy technique

I explained it more but can't remember

ye thats similar to what i put :smile:)
From what I remember;
Section A part 1
1. Competitive swimming
2. The one where the angle increases at the hinge joint
5. 11 year olds should not do weight training
7. Which organisation uses elite athletes to inspire kids - dame kelly Holmes
8. The official doesn't set the time of the game

Section A part 2
1. The ability to change speed and direction
b) something like a footballer dodging an opponent
2. The range of movement around a joint
b) splits in gymnastics or something to that effect

3. This was the aggression question, and I can't find anything online as an official GCSE definition.. So this is the a level one

Any form of behaviour directed toward the goal of harming or injuring another living being who is motivated to avoid such treatment.

b) an example would be during a rugby tackle because it channels focus in, making the tackle more accurate and strong (please correct me if I'm wrong here lmao I'm not sure)

I don't really remember the order of questions so I'll just go in any order if I remember

4. How to the muscles and bones work together to create movement?

-muscles only pull on bones
-muscles are attached by ligaments
-muscles work in antagonist pairs
-E.g. biceps contracts and tricep relaxes
-different joints provide different types of movement

5. Name two types of competition and 2 positive things about them

Knockout
can cater for a large number of entries• high excitement levels as losers are excluded• relatively easy to organise and run• teams play at their best from the start of the competition or risk being knocked out• competition is quicker.

Round robin
Everyone gets to play an equal amount
Produces most valid winner

Ladder
Everyone plays the same amount
Flexible scheduling

6. One type of media and two advantages

I put TV and that
-if people see the winners stood with medals they are more likely to participate in order to emulate them
-people may become more knowledgable due to slow motion analysis and can copy it to improve their own skills

Other types of media could be newspaper and radio, but I can't really think of two advantages other than the role model one

7. What is a public sector leisure centre
-funded by government
-available for everyone to use
-E.g public swimming pool

8. What is a private sector leisure centre
-try to make a profit
- members pay fees to join
-more expensive

9.use an example to say why rules keep players safe
I put no two footed tackles because they are hard to control and could end up with broken ankles etc.

10. Name an environmental factor that can improve performance
-weather is sunny, pitches are dry, less likely to slip
-altitude is low, easier to breathe die to more O2
-lower pollution, no smog easier to breathe??

11. Why can't Lucy be sponsored by a gambling company?
She's underage (15) and it also encourages an unhealthy lifestyle

12. How can John use training zones to help Lucy?
I struggled to get a 4 mark answer for this one..
He should be telling her to use the aerobics training zone for most of her 800m race- until the end. This is 60-80% of her MHR and means she is respiring in the presence of O2. Then for her last 100m sprint she should be In the anaerobic training zone, which is 80-90% of her MHR.

13. How should Lucy recover from her training session
-stretch to prevent lactic acid from building up in her muscles that would make her stuff and prone to injury
- drink a lot of fluid to replace the water and minerals she will have lost through sweat during training

14. How can Lucy's teachers help her performance
This was a tough one and I'm not sure I wrote what the mark scheme wanted but here goes..
1. They could give her time during PE lessons to go and train with her own regime etc.
2. Bring in a role model to talk during an assembly to inspire her to work harder
3. Let her take a club of younger kids to inspire them and turn her in to a role model so she will try harder to not let them down

FIRST 8 MARKER-
Specicifity- make sure her training is right for her
Progression- make it gradually harder, 1 new hill a week in to her runs
Overload- work body harder than it is used to- increase FIT
R-reversibility, very hard to make an extended point about but kudos if you did
T-tedium, Gotta change that training up so she doesn't want to commit

SECOND 8 MARKER-
NGBs, my teachers worst nightmare
-they could offer coaching courses
-funding advice and grants
-competitions, different levels
-talent development, get them better coaches,, sponsors and funding

Add on and correct as you will, that's all I have to memory
14) (my answer)

1. Offer extra curricular athletics clubs where Lucy and her friends could practise using advice from their teacher or an external coach (such as John) as guidance to help them improve their technique.

2. Offer examination-based courses such as GCSE PE or btec sport where Lucy and her friends can not only practise their athletics in the practical lessons but also learn about the theory behind athletic success which they can put into practice in their own performances.

3. Offer Lucy and her friends the opportunity to take part in Sports Leadership Awards so that they can coach others in athletics and at the same time discover things that can be worked on in their own performances.

I'm not sure if it's right but that's what I put anyway.
For 14 I put, extra-curricular activities/after school club, links with Murton Athletics Club and outside visits to sporting venues!
For 14: I put extra curricular clubs, put athletics on the curriculum of pe and the teachers can act as role models
Reply 86
for 14 i put the school can offer better facilities, athletics extra curricular clubs and better links with other better clubs who have more experience, do u think that would get some marks?
Would I get a mark for saying public sector facilities are funded by the council and not government?
Original post by studentshavefun
Would I get a mark for saying public sector facilities are funded by the council and not government?

That's what I put so I hope so lmao, the council is part of the government so here's hoping
Im hoping on getting an A
Reply 90
Predictions for pe grade boundaries this year?
How did everyone do
I personly think it went well hopefully a good grade.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NiamhM1801
What?? Nonono how can that be right though? Wouldn't that mean that most people failed then? As only 3 people in my class of 18 got 80 or above and most of the people are very good at sport!

oh thats weird because the lowest in our year was 76, i got 83 and like 4 people got 90 so i dont know. But our school is supposed to be one of the best at sport in the county so im not sure
Original post by empsonmatt
oh thats weird because the lowest in our year was 76, i got 83 and like 4 people got 90 so i dont know. But our school is supposed to be one of the best at sport in the county so im not sure

I mean yeah I got the lowest but I was anticipating that, but most people got between 64 and like 72 I think? One guy got 88 but he's exceptional. The highest a girl got was 70. I just can't believe that dropping 30 marks means dropping 5 whole grades - that's insane!
Reply 93
QUOTE=bes_inco;65020547]Predictions for pe grade boundaries this year?
How did everyone do
I personly think it went well hopefully a good grade.

i think it'll be about 65/80 for an A*
Original post by NiamhM1801
I mean yeah I got the lowest but I was anticipating that, but most people got between 64 and like 72 I think? One guy got 88 but he's exceptional. The highest a girl got was 70. I just can't believe that dropping 30 marks means dropping 5 whole grades - that's insane!

Yeah i see what you mean, but its probably because of how high the standards have been before so the ground boundaries have been made higher and higher i guess
Original post by empsonmatt
Yeah i see what you mean, but its probably because of how high the standards have been before so the ground boundaries have been made higher and higher i guess

That's true, I mean I'll get over it it's just slightly disappointing that's all.
Is lucky that I'm good at theory as I'm able to bring my grade up to a C, so I'll at least pass which is a positive - I was only really aiming for a B anyway.
Guess we'll just have to wait until results day now!

Quick Reply

Latest