The Student Room Group

My Road to A* everywhere

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NiamhM1801
Wowee that sounds like hell! Why would a school choose to do that to their pupils? :s-smilie:

I'm also hopeless at analysing poems which is why I'm glad that we went through the anthology poems as a class and I've also got the internet where I can find more notes if I need to...unseen is still gonna be a killer though!

We do 2 as well - Monday's is the prose one (sect A animal farm and sect B of mice and men) and Friday's the poetry one (sect A we're given a named anthology poem and the question goes something along the lines of 'explore how the writers of [poem] and one other poem of your choice from the clashes and collisions collection present ideas about [theme].' It's quite nice tbh as a lot of the poems can be compared really easily. Sect B is the unseen).

And yeah you have been preparing for a long time! I've literally waited until now to get started, hence why I'm panicking! :redface:

Good luck for your exams and let's hope we get our As! :h:

I know! My school likes to pick the worse exam boards for some reason. For example, OCR for science and RE and WJEC for English as you know and French! So you only do two text, wow!
It's not too late, you still got the whole day tommorow!:smile:
Good luck to you too! Thanks, you've cheered me up a bit! Hopefully, hopefully we will get those As!:biggrin:
Original post by surina16
We think alike :wink:
I haven't started revision for Friday's exam either, so I'll probably start after the English Lit 1 exam :colondollar: Dreading the 2nd even more though since it is on Macbeth and Pride and Prejudice...both of which have essentially been self-taught :cry:
Yeah I knew I would struggle in the exams so I really tried hard for the CAs :biggrin: Well done on your grades :h:
As long as I don't get a B in literature I'll be over the moon :redface: :biggrin:

I'm an incredibly last minute person so I probably won't even touch my anthology until Thursday :tongue: not the greatest of habits but I'm not failing so I'll keep doing it haha
Yup same, I really want an A!
Good luck! :h:
Original post by sahra30013
I know! My school likes to pick the worse exam boards for some reason. For example, OCR for science and RE and WJEC for English as you know and French! So you only do two text, wow!
It's not too late, you still got the whole day tommorow!:smile:
Good luck to you too! Thanks, you've cheered me up a bit! Hopefully, hopefully we will get those As!:biggrin:

We tend to do the nice ones (so AQA for a few :tongue:) - except our school also chose OCR for science (21st century though), although they've been very nice so far!
Yep we only study 2 texts and our poetry anthologies! Really starting to realise how lucky I am tonight! :smile:
Ah yes, but I'm really focusing on geography tomorrow as frankly I care about it ever so slightly more :tongue: I'll definitely give it another look over though
Aw you're welcome! And yep, let's go for it! :biggrin:
Any advice on how to prepare for my English Language and English Literature mocks?
Guys I don't know how I get these grades for English lit but my teacher always says it's due to alternative interpretation and close analysis. What i do is take one word from a quote and make some far fetched interpretation of it and the effect it has. Of course, it is all supported by the quote and text. Hope that helped. I always get As and A*s when writing English lit essays.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786
Guys I don't know how I get these grades for English lit but my teacher always says it's due to alternative interpretation and close analysis. What i do is take one word from a quote and make some far fetched interpretation of it and the effect it has. Of course, it is all supported by the quote and text. Hope that helped. I always get As and A*s when writing English lit essays.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This may sound like a dumb q but what do you mean by the effect of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dance25
This may sound like a dumb q but what do you mean by the effect of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

So for instance, in a story called Anil. The writer decides to show Anil staring at one star that is prominent among many. He is doing this whilst everyone is asleep and is also looking at the star through a very narrow hole. The fact that he is the only one awake makes the reader feel that he is different to everyone else as he is clearly wide awake. The use of celestial imagery is a parallel or rather metaphor for him being unique among a sea of other people like him. The celestial imagery is also a representation of how big and broad his mindset is. However, the fact that he looks at the sky through a small hole could be a metaphor for the lack of opportunity and chances that he has to achieve those dreams.

I kind of rushed that but I hope you get the point. You have to look at the effect of everything that the writer chooses to say in the text because there is a reason for it. Even if there isn't you can still say something if you think it does.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786
So for instance, in a story called Anil. The writer decides to show Anil staring at one star that is prominent among many. He is doing this whilst everyone is asleep and is also looking at the star through a very narrow hole. The fact that he is the only one awake makes the reader feel that he is different to everyone else as he is clearly wide awake. The use of celestial imagery is a parallel or rather metaphor for him being unique among a sea of other people like him. The celestial imagery is also a representation of how big and broad his mindset is. However, the fact that he looks at the sky through a small hole could be a metaphor for the lack of opportunity and chances that he has to achieve those dreams.

I kind of rushed that but I hope you get the point. You have to look at the effect of everything that the writer chooses to say in the text because there is a reason for it. Even if there isn't you can still say something if you think it does.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh I see what you mean !!
Thank you so muchhh xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dance25
Ohh I see what you mean !!
Thank you so muchhh xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

That wasn't my best example but I'm glad I could help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anita and me, a view from the bridge and a Christmas Carol.
You?

omam,avftb and lotf
Ok TBH I was afraid of leaving right before my exam for the weekend but I must say it was a great decision. I'm super calm about English Lit now and the relaxing really helped me with anxiety. :smile:

Hope you all had great weekend too!
Original post by Mac117
Ok TBH I was afraid of leaving right before my exam for the weekend but I must say it was a great decision. I'm super calm about English Lit now and the relaxing really helped me with anxiety. :smile:

That's great!! Good luck in the exam tomorrow :smile:
Original post by Mac117

Good luck!! How are you ready for it ? I'm dying not knowing how to revise !!
Original post by nisha.sri
Good luck!! How are you ready for it ? I'm dying not knowing how to revise !!

I'm about 95% ready. Tomorrow I'll reread my notes and I'll be done :smile:
Watched and read of mice and men today, tried to read DNA but it was so damn boring I've resorted to reading past examiner's reports instead :smile: The thought that soon, I will never have to do English again is pulling me through!
UPDATE FOR 21/05 and 22/05/16

Joint update for the weekend to save time :smile:

OMAM revision

AIC

Poetry

47 German cards

30 Biology

24 Geography

Case studies for Geog

2 Geog past papers

I have AQA Religious Studies Unit 3: Religion and Morality as well as AQA English Lit Unit 1 tomorrow! Dreading both :/
Original post by ladybird29
I have AQA Religious Studies Unit 3: Religion and Morality as well as AQA English Lit Unit 1 tomorrow! Dreading both :/

Oh good luck!! I'm dreading mine and I only have the English Lit - I hope they go well for you :smile:
Update 22/05/2016
I'm dreading English lit tommorow. And I also have to do another exam- Use of maths just after I do English lit. I hope something I know properly comes up.:redface:

- revised all the characters in Anita and Me
- analysed each chapter and its importance and effect in main character
- revised social, historical and cultural (AO4)- need to look at that again
- Author's techniques
- read through my mock exam and previous essays I have done
- watched videos on unseen poetry
- revised how to answer unseen poetry
(edited 7 years ago)
Update 22/05/2016
I'm dreading English lit tommorow. And I also have to do another exam- Use of maths just after I do English lit. I hope something I know properly comes up.:redface:

- revised all the characters in Anita and Me
- analysed each chapter and its importance and effect in main character
- revised social, historical and cultural (AO4)- need to look at that again
- Author's techniques
- read through my mock exam and previous essays I have done
- watched videos on unseen poetry
- revised how to answer unseen poetry

Original post by brainzistheword
UPDATE FOR 21/05 and 22/05/16
Joint update for the weekend to save time :smile:

OMAM revision

AIC