The Student Room Group

AQA Core 2 Maths prep. thread (25/05/16)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Kingal001
Does anyone know whether we have to be able to derive the formulas for all of the geometric and arithmetic progressions?

Edexcel make you do it but aqa never has so i would hope not but im gonna prepare for it anyway cos you never know :smile:
I think I did okay on Core 1, although I admit the paper was horrible (I was pretty prepared though because I did all the past papers so pretty much knew how to answer most things, just I might have made mistakes on the dodgy numbers) I'm still annoyed with 45 x 7 and the minimum point being -41/4 but I guess aqa hates us lol

I saw on a past paper that you had to make a geometric sequence in to the nth term one. I looked at the mark scheme but it didn't help much (I got 1 mark out of 2 because I could make it in to Un= just not N=)
How do you make a geometric sequence and arithmetic sequence (just in case lol) in to a Nth term sequence (I'm not sure if i explained that well, but like trying to get rid of the r^(n-1) to just r^n)

Thank uuuu
Reply 22
Original post by GoldenLotus
I think I did okay on Core 1, although I admit the paper was horrible (I was pretty prepared though because I did all the past papers so pretty much knew how to answer most things, just I might have made mistakes on the dodgy numbers) I'm still annoyed with 45 x 7 and the minimum point being -41/4 but I guess aqa hates us lol

I saw on a past paper that you had to make a geometric sequence in to the nth term one. I looked at the mark scheme but it didn't help much (I got 1 mark out of 2 because I could make it in to Un= just not N=)
How do you make a geometric sequence and arithmetic sequence (just in case lol) in to a Nth term sequence (I'm not sure if i explained that well, but like trying to get rid of the r^(n-1) to just r^n)

Thank uuuu

please link me the question.
Original post by RueXO
Finding other values, I sometimes end up missing some of them, and it's not as easy as sine graphs. I don't get when to add 180 or 360, when to take away etc

I will try to explain it as best as I can, I'm doing A2 and retaking c2 to bump my grade to a high A hopefully.
So you have your equation, lets say sin x =0.5, you will do sin^-1 (0.5) to get what x equals, in this case it's 30 degrees.
Now we draw our cast diagram, 4 quadrants, the number is positive and sin, therefore we will use the 'ALL' quadrant and the SINE quadrant only. Draw a line an angle, it doesn't need to be exact or anything, just a representation in each quadrant, the angle you're looking at is between this line and the horizontal x line. Now every single time you do this method, always remember you start from the middle right (3 o'clock position on a clock) and go anticlockwise until you reach a point you have drawn on. So the first time you do that, you will hit the line you drew in the ALL quadrant which is 30 degree's, this is your first value. Then start again till you get to your next line, you know this line will be 180-the angle which is 30, so 180-30=50. Now you have your 2 values. Majority of the time, this will be the only 2 you need, however, if the range is very high, all you have to do is plus or minus 360 onto either of these, if they still fit in the range, these are valid values
.This picture I just drew of that problem might help.

For minus values, it's slightly different, however, the only difference is when drawing your lines onto the cast diagram you do the OPPOSITE quadrants to what it would be. So a minus sine value, you would draw your lines into the COS and TAN quadrant then repeat the exact same process as before.
Reply 24
Original post by CheaterHater
I will try to explain it as best as I can, I'm doing A2 and retaking c2 to bump my grade to a high A hopefully.
So you have your equation, lets say sin x =0.5, you will do sin^-1 (0.5) to get what x equals, in this case it's 30 degrees.
Now we draw our cast diagram, 4 quadrants, the number is positive and sin, therefore we will use the 'ALL' quadrant and the SINE quadrant only. Draw a line an angle, it doesn't need to be exact or anything, just a representation in each quadrant, the angle you're looking at is between this line and the horizontal x line. Now every single time you do this method, always remember you start from the middle right (3 o'clock position on a clock) and go anticlockwise until you reach a point you have drawn on. So the first time you do that, you will hit the line you drew in the ALL quadrant which is 30 degree's, this is your first value. Then start again till you get to your next line, you know this line will be 180-the angle which is 30, so 180-30=50. Now you have your 2 values. Majority of the time, this will be the only 2 you need, however, if the range is very high, all you have to do is plus or minus 360 onto either of these, if they still fit in the range, these are valid values
.This picture I just drew of that problem might help.

For minus values, it's slightly different, however, the only difference is when drawing your lines onto the cast diagram you do the OPPOSITE quadrants to what it would be. So a minus sine value, you would draw your lines into the COS and TAN quadrant then repeat the exact same process as before.

Nice one, thanks for sharing :smile:
Reply 25
The answer is 1 + 3√x + 3x + x^(3/2)

But might i suggest using binomial expansion instead? Its much quicker. Like ok for brackets ^3 its not to bad but like to the ^4 or ^8 come on? Practice binomial expansion formula which is much more effective, i assume you are familiar with it? :smile:
Original post by Rager6amer
please link me the question.

Jan 2013
6. a) A geometric series begins 420 + 294 + 205.8
iii) Write the nth term of the series in the form p x q^n

As far as I got was Un=420x0.7^(n-1) which got me 1 mark (out of 2)
(edited 7 years ago)
The thing I struggle with most in core 2 is the logarithms questions, anyone have any advice on how to tackle them as they're usually worth lots of marks? oh and I always get the transformations confused too:frown:
All they have done is split the fraction. So from what they give you, you can now split it to be cos^2x/cos^x which is where they get there 1 value from and then what's left is 4sin^2x/cos^x
Jan 2013

so it wants you to write q^n, you have written q^(n-1). The first value is 420, therefore the equation will become. 420=p x 0.7^1. Re-arrange and p=600, so the answer should be un=600 x 0.7^n
Is that correct?
Sometimes you need to think less about the equations they give you and logically about the question.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
Jan 2013

Ok so you were right BUT in this case it was testing your ability to manipulate indices (the question said put it in the form p x q^n NOT p x q^(n-1).

so have a look at the image below that i have made to explain what to do, excuse that it has been done in paint and let me know if you need further help :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by melinalouise
The thing I struggle with most in core 2 is the logarithms questions, anyone have any advice on how to tackle them as they're usually worth lots of marks? oh and I always get the transformations confused too:frown:

Logs are difficult but the key is just knowing that you have a toolbelt with about 10 log laws so just always see what the examiner has done to try and muddle up the logs and so just do a small step at a time (e.g. simplify log a - log b to log a/b etc)

Its difficult to explain without context, so if you were to choose a question/example that you found difficult I would be more than happy to help :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by CheaterHater
so it wants you to write q^n, you have written q^(n-1). The first value is 420, therefore the equation will become. 420=p x 0.7^1. Re-arrange and p=600, so the answer should be un=600 x 0.7^n
Is that correct?
Sometimes you need to think less about the equations they give you and logically about the question.

Couldn't agree more :smile:
Logs are difficult but the key is just knowing that you have a toolbelt with about 10 log laws so just always see what the examiner has done to try and muddle up the logs and so just do a small step at a time (e.g. simplify log a - log b to log a/b etc)

Its difficult to explain without context, so if you were to choose a question/example that you found difficult I would be more than happy to help :smile:

This question was from 2014 and I don't know how to do c and d?
Reply 34
Original post by SanaGul
Considering the fact that I've studied A2 maths and further maths. I feel quite confident in the C2 paper. The only that still catches me are the Arithmetic and Geometric progressions. Does any body know an effective way of practic8ng these so they fit in my head.

Try this geometric progression question. It's a question I remember from one of Teeem's threads a while back now.
image.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 35
This question was from 2014 and I don't know how to do c and d?

Part C: whenever you have a translation, you write the opposite of what you do in into the equation, for example if i have the line y = 6x + 4 and I translate it by vector (-2,0) I have moved it 2 units to the left BUT in the equation I replace 'x' with 'x+2' so therefore the new one would be y = 6(x+2) + 4 so it would become y = 6x +12 +4 so therefore y = 6x +16 (i hope this makes sence)

So to answer the question in part C you have translated it by (1,p) so remember we write the opposite so therefore y = 3 x 12^x becomes 'y-p = 3 x 12^(x-1)' and so rearrange to get y = 3 x 12^(x-1) + p now since the curve intersects the origin (0,0) we can sub in the values 0 and 0 for x and y so then we get 0 = 3 x 12^(0-1) + p and so therefore 3 x 1/12 + p = 0 so rearrange to get 1/4 + p = 0 and hence p = -1/4. I hope this makes sense.

As for the logs it would take forever for me to explain so check out the written solution here and see if this makes sense. let me know if you have any more problems :smile: http://bit.ly/1RhsgoK
(edited 7 years ago)
Part C: whenever you have a translation, you write the opposite of what you do in into the equation, for example if i have the line y = 6x + 4 and I translate it by vector (-2,0) I have moved it 2 units to the left BUT in the equation I replace 'x' with 'x+2' so therefore the new one would be y = 6(x+2) + 4 so it would become y = 6x +12 +4 so therefore y = 6x +16 (i hope this makes sence)

So to answer the question in part C you have translated it by (1,p) so remember we write the opposite so therefore y = 3 x 12^x becomes 'y-p = 3 x 12^(x-1)' and so rearrange to get y = 3 x 12^(x-1) + p now since the curve intersects the origin (0,0) we can sub in the values 0 and 0 for x and y so then we get 0 = 3 x 12^(0-1) + p and so therefore 3 x 1/12 + p = 0 so rearrange to get 1/4 + p = 0 and hence p = -1/4. I hope this makes sense.

As for the logs it would take forever for me to explain so check out the written solution here and see if this makes sense. let me know if you have any more problems :smile: http://bit.ly/1RhsgoK

thankyou :smile:
Original post by B_9710
Try this geometric progression question. It's a question I remember from one of Teeem's threads a while back now.
image.jpg

is k=4?
thankyou :smile:

is vector multiplication there in C2
i know dat translation of f(x) graphs are dere
bt i have never come accross a vector translation question
Reply 39
I would recommend purchasing the Casio fx-991es plus calculator, as it allows you to check the answers to your definite intergrals, definitely worth it!

Quick Reply

Latest