The Student Room Group

What is your opinion on twerking

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SHINee1998
I feel it is more concise to say "omnipresent" rather than "constantly present in".
And this is how I usually type and speak. You will deal.

Concise, 1 word extra will not extend your point any further, thus making it still as concise as before.
Well, it kind of depends what kind of butt shaking it is. In some African cultures, the women do use their hips while dancing. Its not inherently sexual.
Also, women in the 90's hiphop videos shook their butts all time but it wasn't twerking.

I don't like girls who literally do nothing but shake their butts. There's dancing and little hip action and then there is twerking. Twerking makes me feel gross. I seen the vibration and then I feel gross out.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by xobeauty
Die down? Twerking has been around since the 90s....probably before that.

Yes, I am aware of that. I think we all knew it a "booty shaking" or something to that effect.

But was it as mainstream as it is now? The vast majority of people were fairly oblivious to the term "twerking". In fact, the term was not introduced into "mainstream" lexicon until the dance was popularised in the early 2010s.
I've seen some pretty mesmerising twerking.
Original post by Blue_Mason
Because women do feel sexy when they're twerking, and it is a good exercise.
And dancing can be more sexual, as twerking can be seen as art

IMO, while it can be seen as a 'good exercise', there are better ways to work out without having to shake your booty in the faces of millions of viewers just to have them leach at you. This kind of thinking, 'omg makeup is an art, twerking makes me feel empowered' is what perpetuates the patriarchy and that's what fools us women (not including me) into thinking we are just getting some self-love when all we are doing is msking a mess of our dignity.
Original post by SHINee1998
Yes, I am aware of that. I think we all knew it a "booty shaking" or something to that effect.

But was it as mainstream as it is now? The vast majority of people were fairly oblivious to the term "twerking". In fact, the term was not introduced into "mainstream" lexicon until the dance was popularised in the early 2010s.

No it wasn't popularized in 2010s...
.ying yang twins- whisle while you twerk came out in the early 2000s.
Guys need to twerk more
Original post by LastMinReviseGuy
Concise, 1 word extra will not extend your point any further, thus making it still as concise as before.

I am very particular about the amount of words I use within a post. Just having one extra word would be very bothersome for me.

I do not care for your fixation on simplicity or whatever it is you take issue with. I will use the words that I feel properly convey my thoughts. If you feel it oozes with pretension, then so be it.

I do not wish to converse with you any further on this matter.
Original post by xobeauty
No it wasn't popularized in 2010s...
.ying yang twins- whisle while you twerk came out in the early 2000s.

This is what I meant by it being popularised in the 2010s: https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=twerking
Reply 29
its good excercise. gets the rectum moving
Original post by Nayzar
its good excercise. gets the rectum moving

What?
Original post by CrazyJailbird
IMO, while it can be seen as a 'good exercise', there are better ways to work out without having to shake your booty in the faces of millions of viewers just to have them leach at you. This kind of thinking, 'omg makeup is an art, twerking makes me feel empowered' is what perpetuates the patriarchy and that's what fools us women (not including me) into thinking we are just getting some self-love when all we are doing is msking a mess of our dignity.

Nobody said anything about twerking in front of an audience.
Twerking can empower women in so many ways

Quick Reply

Latest