The Student Room Group

FFS my brother has become a vegan!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Samonia
Hey, just wanted to point something out guys! :smile: Not trying to go against anyone life choices but not all meat or dairy/eggs/honey etc. is from horrible sources! Some of my family are farmers and they treat their animals better than most people will treat their cats or dogs. I find it really annoying that people generalise to all animal produce and say its all from unethical places and horrible when people seem to be quite happy having pets such as cats or dogs when the breading that goes on there is even worse to the point that animals such as pugs often lose the ability to breath correctly because they have been bread for the popular market. I understand that some of the industry is nasty but please never believe everything that peta comes out with because less farmers than put out will damage his animals as they seem to think because they wouldn't be worth anything to sell. Stressed or hurt animals wouldn't grow up healthy or produce anything that is wanted for the market well enough and would simply be more expensive to house and look after :smile:
Sorry for the rant and by all means, be vegan or vegetarian as i full accept some of the business for animals is awful, but please don't generalise all animal produce in to one category no matter what you believe :smile:

Please watch earthlings and get back to me. You will see that 'humane' slaughter and 'ethically raised' animals is just a marketing scam to make people feel better about their actions. If farmers treated their animals like we treat our pets, they would not kill them for money, or take their offspring away to milk them excessively until they become infected. I, nor nobody I know, have killed any their cats or dogs to eat, or drank their milk.

I don't want to come across as mean or preachy, but these things need to be preached otherwise the message will not be out there. I just thought I'd shed some insight, I myself, only around four months ago, thought that cows wanted to be milked without realising that that milk is a for a calf. You will learn a lot from earthlings.

I will take into consideration that animals may be treated nicely on some farms(but probably only very few), but you need to understand that an animal does not want to die. They experience pain and feelings just as we do, it is wrong to take that away. I'm pretty sure if animals could talk they would not be eaten so why do we think it is ok to do so? If a human couldn't talk, we would never eat them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 21
tell him he is causing deforestation which is bad for the environment
Reply 22
plants have souls too
Reply 23
Original post by RivalPlayer
You don't miss dairy, honey or the long list of vegetarian products that are prohibited for vegans like yourself?

Once you learn about the meat, dairy, egg and honey industries you can only look at them products as the byproducts of cruelty. I for one don't miss any animal products.
You don't miss dairy, honey or the long list of vegetarian products that are prohibited for vegans like yourself?

At first I did, but I knew that it's for a good cause, so that kept me going. After a while, you just stop seeing animal products as food, really.
I don't really see it as being 'prohibited' - I won't be punished if I don't stay vegan. I see it as more of a conscious choice I've made rather than a restriction.
Original post by Adores
Please watch earthlings and get back to me. You will see that 'humane' slaughter and 'ethically raised' animals is just a marketing scam to make people feel better about their actions. If farmers treated their animals like we treat our pets, they would not kill them for money, or take their offspring away to milk them excessively until they become infected. I, nor nobody I know, have killed any their cats or dogs to eat, or drank their milk.

I don't want to come across as mean or preachy, but these things need to be preached otherwise the message will not be out there. I just thought I'd shed some insight, I myself, only around four months ago, thought that cows wanted to be milked without realising that that milk is a for a calf. You will learn a lot from earthlings.

I will take into consideration that animals may be treated nicely on some farms(but probably only very few), but you need to understand that an animal does not want to die. They experience pain and feelings just as we do, it is wrong to take that away. I'm pretty sure if animals could talk they would not be eaten so why do we think it is ok to do so? If a human couldn't talk, we would never eat them.

Please stop with the Holier than thou attitude, i have simply said not to generalise that every farm is awful, not that you have made the wrong life choices. Pretty much all farmers will look after their animals well as you wouldn't poor water over a computer as a programmer and expect it to work would you?
Also, pets are generally bread worse, once you start buying the animals as pets you are supporting selective breading and the puppy farms the vast majority come from, which causes often more pain to the animals than general farming. That's why pedigree animals often get awful illnesses when they get older as there is little of them left, so often they have been kept with families to breed, and the young are the result of incest and therefore a reduced gene pool. Because of how animals have been bread back before being vegetarian/ vegan was a strong option a lot of these animals require milking and caring for to stop them getting mastitus or bacterial infections. I think people should be taught what too look for when buying animal produce to be able to tell what has been treated well or treated badly because it is reallllllly easy to tell which once you know what to look for.

But ill say it again, i'm not saying don't become meat/animal produce free because the ethics behind it are important , but just realise that not everything is a evil as PETA etc. make out
Original post by Samonia
Please stop with the Holier than thou attitude, i have simply said not to generalise that every farm is awful, not that you have made the wrong life choices. Pretty much all farmers will look after their animals well as you wouldn't poor water over a computer as a programmer and expect it to work would you?
Also, pets are generally bread worse, once you start buying the animals as pets you are supporting selective breading and the puppy farms the vast majority come from, which causes often more pain to the animals than general farming. That's why pedigree animals often get awful illnesses when they get older as there is little of them left, so often they have been kept with families to breed, and the young are the result of incest and therefore a reduced gene pool. Because of how animals have been bread back before being vegetarian/ vegan was a strong option a lot of these animals require milking and caring for to stop them getting mastitus or bacterial infections. I think people should be taught what too look for when buying animal produce to be able to tell what has been treated well or treated badly because it is reallllllly easy to tell which once you know what to look for.

But ill say it again, i'm not saying don't become meat/animal produce free because the ethics behind it are important , but just realise that not everything is a evil as PETA etc. make out

Argh accidentally liked this ignorant comment.

There is no such thing as humane slaughter. If you don't need meat to live a long and healthy life. Why eat it?
Original post by Nayzar
tell him he is causing deforestation which is bad for the environment

A simple google search would show you that 90% of deforestation is because of the meat industry.
Original post by Nayzar
plants have souls too

Taking that as true, we should all eat vegetables, since eating animals means those animals have to be fed with much larger amounts of plant matter before we can eat them.
Reply 29
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Taking that as true, we should all eat vegetables, since eating animals means those animals have to be fed with much larger amounts of plant matter before we can eat them.

Nah I eat bacteria-free fertile soil. Very hard to make but free of living organisms. Sometimes I drink primordial soup with it. Got all the good nutrition.
Original post by Nayzar
Nah I eat bacteria-free fertile soil. Very hard to make but free of living organisms. Sometimes I drink primordial soup with it. Got all the good nutrition.

Just pure, unadulterated CHON, huh?

Well, I suppose you've agreed that we shouldn't eat meat, in any case.
(edited 7 years ago)
So your angry at your brother for reducing animal cruelty and environmental damage whilst improving his own health
Reply 32
Original post by Samonia

I'm sorry that the way I talk seems to intimidate you, but I won't dumb myself down just because you've got it into your head that you think I am better than you.

Just because farmers feed their livestock doesn't necessarily mean that they are well looked after. They are abused for their entire lives. The living conditions are squalor. Imagine being kept within confined spaces for most of your life while being mutilated. I really think you should watch earthlings, it changes your whole perspective.
As for pet farms, I thought it was common knowledge to adopt pets from animal shelters. I guess not. There is still a lot of educating to be done.
Cows do get bacterial infections due to being excessively milked, which is why there is a certain percentage of pus allowed in milk. http://nutritionfacts.org/2011/09/08/how-much-pus-is-there-in-milk/

I'll add about my stance on PETA; it's one of the most hypocritical organisations out there. They have be notoriously known kill most of the animals that come into their care. They do nothing for the vegan movement. They believe that using sexualised animal abuse is helping. Gary Yourofsky has written a bit on PETA: http://www.adaptt.org/animalrights.html#
Reply 33
Lol, you people are like clockwork on this forum.There's something very cult-like about it all.
Does your heart also bleed for the humans who have to endure poor working conditions and abuse when assembling your smartphone and other modern consumer electronics that you have in your home?
I bet you're all too happy to overlook all of that for the sake of your own convenience and pleasure.

So what happens if you feel like having a bar of Cadbury's dairy milk chocolate, a pizza or any other product that just happens to have a dairy component? Do you just forget about having it or do you give in?
How do you get your vitamin B12, tablets I presume?

Yes, a group of people who want to stop animal cruelty, reduce the damage of the planet as well as being as healthy as we can are a cult. I can't tell you how many meat eaters have told me the 'benefits' of eating meat, or how I will become extremely ill from being vegan, and how many times I've been shamed for refusing to eat some foods. The amount of people who have told me to become vegan/vegetarian is none. Meat eaters are the ones who seem very cult-like to me.

I think that the use of electronics is inevitable in this day and age. You can't go anywhere without there being an electronic device- computers at school, tills in shops, life-saving machines in hospitals. While I still use them, I support organisations for fight for better working conditions in factories. So don't try and make me look like a bad person, when you are also using electronics, and no doubt doing nothing about it.

I've also never taken a B12 tablet in my life, and my blood tests come back completely normal. B12 is a bacteria, not found in animals or plants. The only reason for animals being a "good" source of b12 is because their food is artificially enriched with it.
You can get loads of vegan substitutes so you never miss out on any junk food.

So what happens if you feel like having a bar of Cadbury's dairy milk chocolate, a pizza or any other product that just happens to have a dairy component? Do you just forget about having it or do you give in?
How do you get your vitamin B12, tablets I presume?

Well there are plenty of vegan alternatives to those things, so not really, no.
Most of the food I eat is fortified with B12, but I take a multivitamin that has pretty much everything in it, so B12 isn't an issue.
Reply 35
Every time someone says eating meat is bad I eat meat, so they are contributing to animal cruelty.
Reply 36
I'm not the one preaching on a forum though. If you really cared about ethics then your concern should consistent. I'm specifically talking about personal consumer electronics not hospital equipment and tills. The point is you're happy to turn a blind eye and purchase and enjoy electronic products that have been unethically produced. It doesn't matter if you "fight for better working conditions" - you're still purchasing unethically produced products for your own personal enjoyment and convenience.

You're putting your needs above the suffering of the human factory workers who assemble such products. If you really cared, you wouldn't consume unethically products in the same way (in your opinion) people shouldn't consume milk from a cow.
You'll still be alive if you don't own a smartphone - it's not essential to sustaining life.
I didn't even even ask you about B12, yet you just couldn't resist preaching. Maybe it's time for you to stop attempting to install fear and guilt into anyone who isn't a vegan.

Oh would you look at that, a vegan preaching on a forum about veganism. Oh course I'm going to talk about B12, I can talk about anything I'd like. This is an interactive forum.

I do understand by using electronics I'm being inconsistent, but it's the hypocrisy that you do the same yet I'm the bad person. It's not like I'm sitting around all day playing games. My biggest excuse would be that my parents have bought me these items as gifts(I can hand on my heart say I never asked for) and I don't want to be a spoilt and ungrateful brat. Plus my homework is set online which has its good and bad points.
Original post by joecphillips
Every time someone says eating meat is bad I eat meat, so they are contributing to animal cruelty.

What a nice guy
Reply 38
Original post by MotorboatMyGoat
What a nice guy

I don't mind people who are vegetarians/vegans that is fine it's the people who try to convert you or believe they are superior for doing so that I do it.
Original post by joecphillips
I don't mind people who are vegetarians/vegans that is fine it's the people who try to convert you or believe they are superior for doing so that I do it.

image.jpeg

Quick Reply

Latest