The Student Room Group

Gap year plans for 2016/17

Whoever's taking a gap year, what do you have planned? I'm taking a gap year and reapplying to medicine. Got the a few ideas floating in my head atm:

Do private maths tuition and get another job for some money like shopkeeping etc.
Do a TEFL course
Do work experience and volunteering in a Syrian refugee camp/hospital
Teach English abroad somewhere

Also considering ICS but not sure. Some say it's good; others say there are better things to do with one's time. Thoughts?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Wow, and I'm planning on sitting at home playing battlefield 1 :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by Ash8991
Wow, and I'm planning on sitting at home playing battlefield 1 :wink:

Haha tbf playing some PS2 classics will probs take up a fair chunk of my time.
Doing a gap year

- doing an intensive alevel-
- planning to volunteer at the citizens advice bureau ( interested in law / politics) but planning to apply for history :smile:)
- plan to get a working job in retail or something to save cash
Reply 4
Original post by lulucoco98
Doing a gap year

- doing an intensive alevel-
- planning to volunteer at the citizens advice bureau ( interested in law / politics) but planning to apply for history :smile:)
- plan to get a working job in retail or something to save cash

Intensive a level... as opposed to a relaxed a level? What subject is it?
Reply 5
Hi.

I genuinely don't even know what my plans are anymore.- feel so lost, blah. I do v much think I'm going to end up booking a last minute ticket to Mozambique/something + simply see where life takes me when I get there. Half of me just wants to escape this abyss, half of me wants to sleep for the entire year. After speaking to my parents, going abroad seems like the most likely thing atm but if you ask me tomorrow, I'll probably change my stance on the issue.

I was also thinking about taking up a relaxed A-level, obvs work experience in England + learning sign language alongside.

We shall see if I cba enough. - I'll update this post in a year. :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by Anon_98
Hi.

I genuinely don't even know what my plans are anymore.- feel so lost, blah. I do v much think I'm going to end up booking a last minute ticket to Mozambique/something + simply see where life takes me when I get there. Half of me just wants to escape this abyss, half of me wants to sleep for the entire year. After speaking to my parents, going abroad seems like the most likely thing atm but if you ask me tomorrow, I'll probably change my stance on the issue.

I was also thinking about taking up a relaxed A-level, obvs work experience in England + learning sign language alongside.

We shall see if I cba enough. - I'll update this post in a year. :wink:

Yeah I forgot to mention im hoping to learn BSL (and Spanish) as well!
U know that holiday doest seem like a bad idea at all. you could go to some country and just spontaneously book hotels when you get there (usually much cheaper than reserving online, especially if you can speak some of the language). plan as you go along. risky but very adventurous! could turn out really well you never know.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Nayzar
Intensive a level... as opposed to a relaxed a level? What subject is it?

I dropped a subject this year and only have 2 alevels so I don't have a choice :frown: and in sociology.
Reply 8
Original post by Nayzar
Yeah I forgot to mention im hoping to learn BSL (and Spanish) as well!
U know that holiday doest seem like a bad idea at all. you could go to some country and just spontaneously book hotels when you get there (usually much cheaper than reserving online, especially if you can speak some of the language). plan as you go along. risky but very adventurous! could turn out really well you never know.

Oh, I see- nice!

Yeah, exactly.- Although, it'd probably be wise to reserve at least the very first night of stay online. Meh. Not really sure tbh, we'll take the year as it comes. Yes, feels like a v risky idea.- but I suppose you've got to ask yourself what's the worst that can happen if you did follow through? I guess I could die from, like, a lack of hospitality but hey, at least it'll be a relatively cool death in a relatively cool country. :'3
Reply 9
Original post by Anon_98
Oh, I see- nice!

Yeah, exactly.- Although, it'd probably be wise to reserve at least the very first night of stay online. Meh. Not really sure tbh, we'll take the year as it comes. Yes, feels like a v risky idea.- but I suppose you've got to ask yourself what's the worst that can happen if you did follow through? I guess I could die from, like, a lack of hospitality but hey, at least it'll be a relatively cool death in a relatively cool country. :'3

Thats the spirit!
I'm still trying to persuade my parents to let me take a gap year but if I do persuade them here are my plans:

-Continue to play hockey: for me this is a massive priority, if I remain in the area I will also be taking up a media based role in my current club as well as beginning to coach juniors and improve my own skills.
-Gain a Swim Teacher qualification: I have already been offered a job if I am successful in gaining this qualification
-Work in my local sports complex as a lifeguard/assistant/coach
-Go to America: I am hoping to do Camp America and plan to do this whether I take a gap year or not.

What are all of your reasons for taking a gap year?

My main ones are that I need a break from education but also that I want to gain more life skills; I have found that I have been fairly secluded and feel that I wish to gain more people skills/life experience
A thread where not everyone's jetting away!

My reason for a gap year is because I'm doing acting and therefore kinda expected not to get in the first year round... and frankly a year of earning money would greatly benefit my bank account to hopefully get in next year!

Gap year plans-Get a job so my parents don't get annoyed lol
Explore local 'AmDram' community... which isn't as bad as the stereotype soundsWrite my own play [possibly put it on eventually with a local amdram group]
Spend time at the library and read plays, novels etc which my English Literature course inspired me to pursue, and generally explore Shakespeare as an adult and not a reluctant GCSE student
Refine my audition pieces
Work with NYT and my part time drama school
Go to more auditions and meet lots of agents :smile: [fingers crossed], or if not do some more work as a supporting artist [I recommend doing, I essentially got paid £140 for a day on set and I wasn't even used. I literally got paid to sit and eat food and chat to amazingly creative people].
Go on Futurelearn and do a few courses
Book some driving lessons and get on the road

But before I do any of that I need to tidy my room which has been disheveled by A-Levels [am I the only one?]
When taking a Gap year and reapplying the next year do we need a compleletly different personal statement, and where are references collected from? I'm in great confusion in regards to this so any information would be helpful. Thank you!
Reply 13
I'm looking to work seeing as I am going to defer my place . Need to put some money aside for next year then do a little bit of traveling to America and or Japan/Australia . Not for months but like 3 weeks. Also need to do something that is related to my degree which is business studies .

Quick Reply

Latest