The Student Room Group

WJEC Language 2016 official prediction thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by TracyEmu
That's a good point. However, I have learnt to expect the unexpected in exams. But if it did come up, it will be a breeze! There might be a question on how women are represented in the story, in which case, we can discuss the characters if aunt Clara, suzy's place and Curley's Wife.

Curley's Wife came up on AQA last year so WJEC may copy this year
Reply 81
Original post by bekahhiggins
Any predictions for Heroes/AIC essays? Which character came up in the January paper this year in OMAM?

It was Curley
Reply 82
Original post by TMTGGG
It was Curley

Has anyone had access to the January papers? Has it already been released??
Reply 83
Totally agree. My English teacher predicts that a character essay question on Curley's wife, George, and slim. A theme question on animal reference might come up.

I think Slim or Curley's wife is likely, but the 2013 paper had a question on the importance of animals in the novel. I don't think it'll come up again!
Reply 84
Original post by bmagcse2016
I'm studying the exact same literature texts and my teacher usually predicts correctly the themes and characters which might come up.
For omom, we are predicting a George and Lennie (friendship) essay or possibly a slim essay (possibly linked to the theme of justice or violence).
For a Christmas Carol, we have predicted something along the lines of christmas and religion .
For blood brothers, we have a feelings that there might be a possible question on the narrator or sammy or the theme of Marilyn Monroe.

For your writing exam, I think there might be formal letter and an informal letter. There hasn't be an informal letter for a few years, I think. There is always a formal writing task in this exam, so a report could also be a possibility.

Hope this can be of some help.

The 2014 January paper had a question on the relationship between George and Lennie. I don't think it will come again
Reply 85
Original post by nisha.sri
Can someone explain the historical context for OMAM?
Thanks

The novella occurred after the Wall Street Crash when the citizens of the USA lost all their savings and possessions. There was extreme, widespread poverty and unemployment. Most jobs were found on ranches but these were seasonal so work was only temporary. Therefore, workers never settled down at a workplace and did not have stability or a sense of permanency. This is reflected through several characters in the novella, including George and Lennie. Ranch workers were extremely fortunate to have an income, however small of temporary.
The plot is also surrounded by a discriminative society, where women, people of colour and the mentally or physically handicapped were looked down on. Curley's wife, Crooks and Lennie/Candy represent the discrimination experiences in 1930's American society.
Hope this helps
Anyone know if you need a conclusion at the end of the 20/24 more questions and if so what do you need to write?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Original post by alyxgower
My teacher predicts for heroes it will be: Larry, innocence or betrayal
And for AIC: Gerald, Sheila, class or men

Thank you x
Reply 88
I am thinking of OMAM theme questions about Loneliness, Discrimination/racism/segregation and the American Dream. Does anyone think such questions will be a possibility??
Reply 89
I am thinking of OMAM theme questions about Loneliness, Discrimination/racism/segregation and the American Dream. Does anyone think such questions will be a possibility??

I think discrimination, racism and segregation would be under the same question, so perhaps it will be a question on 1930's American society, or how it is a social commentary. I think the American Dream is a possibility although there were a question a few years ago, about whether dreams did more harm than good to the characters.
Reply 90
Original post by jade_on_tsr
Anyone know if you need a conclusion at the end of the 20/24 more questions and if so what do you need to write?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes definitely! The conclusion and main body paragraphs are almost equally weighted. It is a good opportunity to throw in some more contextual knowledge, or how you think the author feels about the particular topic. Also, you should talk about your emotions or the effect this character/theme has had on your thoughts. Hope this helps.
Reply 91
Original post by MBK14
I thought it was Candy last June and Curley in January? What contextual points are there for Slim if anyone could help? Thanks

He did not get caught up in the American Dream and was one of the only ranch hands who had a sense of stability and permanency.
anyone know the grade boundaries for unit 1 exam???
Reply 93
Original post by Maryumfahim
anyone know the grade boundaries for unit 1 exam???

They are always changing depending on how well the paper was perceived. However last year:ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463912109.403868.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
Original post by emma.c
Curley's Wife came up on AQA last year so WJEC may copy this year

Curley's wife was on WJEC published Exemplar responses when they added context to the spec last year so I can't see it being her. It could be though, who knows?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How are the questions set out for of mice and men, do we get a 24 marker on a character and then we pick out of an option of two smaller questions? How many marks would the smaller questions be worth?
Reply 96
Original post by 1a2b3c4b
How are the questions set out for of mice and men, do we get a 24 marker on a character and then we pick out of an option of two smaller questions? How many marks would the smaller questions be worth?

There is one extract question worth 10 marks, which could ask about presentation of something (character usually) or mood and atmosphere.

There is then a choice between 2 essay questions both worth 20 marks. (The 4 Spelling and grammar marks are awarded on Unit 2 - this is not assessed in unit 1). You should spent 20 mins on the extract and 40 mins on the essay question you choose. Make sure to refer quite a bit to social and historical context (basically what life was shown to be like) in your essay as this is a key aspect the examiners are looking for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
In the exam tomorrow I'm doing TKAM, any predictions for the essay questions?
Reply 98
WJEC English literature unit 1: Monday 23 May
WJEC English literature unit 2: Friday 27 May
WJEC English language unit 1 & 2 : Tuesday 7 June

For English literature, I am studying Of Mice And Men and unseen poetry, A Christmas Carol and Blood Brothers.
What are your predictions on the Essay questions for 2016? Any tactics for answering the unseen poetry response?

What are your predictions on the English language unit 2 writing exam questions?

I pray for crooks or lennie! if slim comes up i will cry
Reply 99
Original post by Lucas3
I pray for crooks or lennie! if slim comes up i will cry

Try revising the character of slim and you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending