The Student Room Group

AQA AS Psychology Paper 2, 23 May 2016 Opinions. UNOFFICIAL MARK SCHEME

Scroll to see replies

How long are your 12 markers usually?
Reply 101
Loopa seems to have almost predicted the whole spec', basically. With the exception of behaviourist approach, social learning theory and biological treatments for OCD. I'm torn, because a lot of what he's put has come-up already in one of the three assessment papers. Although I agree with approaches to cognitive and fight and flight....my feeling is they'll have us label something for the biology as well, a neuron/brain.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kefte
Loopa seems to have almost predicted the whole spec', basically. With the exception of behaviourist approach, social learning theory and biological treatments for OCD. I'm torn, because a lot of what he's put has come-up already in one of the three assessment papers. Although I agree with approaches to cognitive and fight and flight....my feeling is they'll have us label something for the biology as well, a neuron/brain.

I think biological to OCD is very likely to come up, especially if cognitive approach is a 12 marker, I think definitions of abnormality will be a 6 marker just asking for evaluation
Please can someone help me fill this in !?
The knee-jerk reflex is an example of a reflex arc:
A stimulus, such as a hammer, hits the knee. This is detected by sense organs in the______________, which convey a message along a ______________.
The messages reaches the ________, where it connects with an______________, this then transfers the message to a___________, This then carries the message to an ___________, such as a muscle which causes the muscle to contract and hence, causes the knee to move or jerk.
Original post by angellll
Loopa's predictions:

The biological approach: The influence of genes, biological structures and neurochemistry on behaviour. Genotype and phenotype, genetic basis of behaviour, evolution of behaviour The biological approach is overdue in the unit 2 exam in the old spec (and its also in the new spec) and I think if it doesn’t make an appearance in the old spec retake exam which is on the same day, it’s very possible to be included in the new spec. This one is 50/50 as I doubt they will include a big question on the biological approach for both new AS students and old spec students so one set of students is likely to get this and it could be you guys if they want to go easy on you a little.

The cognitive approach: the study of internal mental processes, the role of schema, the use of theoretical and computer models to explain and make inferences about mental processes. The emergence of cognitive neuroscience. This section unlike the others within it has had a massive overhaul. Either this or the biological approach is likely in my eyes and this may be a big essay or a small one as it is dependent on whether the biological approach appears or not. This is the other approach I would personally prep for in greater detail.

Origins of psychology: Wundt, introspection and the emergence of psychology as a science: This section is new and incredibly awkward to write about so if you need help, download my ebook above as it covers it in detail. It won’t be a full essay I think but may make an appearance as a smaller question.

The fight or flight response including the role of adrenaline. I can’t really say why I think this is more likely beyond the fact that I think this has the highest chance of being a 12 marker within this topic of biopsychology. It’s also easier than the other topics I think so I’m hoping AQA choose to be nice to our new set of AS students. Its less likely than other topics however as a full essay in this exam in my opinion but may appear in a smaller form.

Definitions of abnormality (describe and evaluate): If this comes up it may ask you to describe and evaluate up to two definitions of abnormality. This would be more in line with what the old specification use to be like as the other topics were taken from the A2 element of the old spec and it would be pretty harsh to expect AS students to pick up A2 content really quickly. I’m hoping AQA are kind and ease you in by covering this topic which was part of the old AS unit 2 exam.

The behavioural approach to explaining phobias I did a comparison table which was an absolute nightmare to create and I can see this type of question hasn’t appeared as a full essay for the phobic disorders topic (which is now what phobias is in this unit 2 exam paper). Compared to the other topics (depression and OCD and explanations and treatments) this one appears like it’s a possibility check the one below too.

The Cognitive approach to explaining depression The comparison table also told me this one is likely too as it’s not had a question focus on psychological treatments for depression in the last 3 exam windows. This is more likely than the one above actually but both need to be prepared for.

Was paper 1 predicted accurately??
If you're learning form the book by Cardwell & Flanagan, the summary sections at the end of each chapter are really useful for your final revision!
Original post by amelienine
How long are your 12 markers usually?

We've been told to aim 400-500 words
It depends, in Unit one my first was barely anything, the second was three of the four pages given to us.
Original post by m_wharrier

Yeah he pretty much predicted accurately for the 1st paper, so I would trust his instincts however, try to revise everything if you have time! :smile:
Reply 108
Original post by Natashja
Please can someone help me fill this in !?
The knee-jerk reflex is an example of a reflex arc:
A stimulus, such as a hammer, hits the knee. This is detected by sense organs in the______________, which convey a message along a ______________.
The messages reaches the ________, where it connects with an______________, this then transfers the message to a___________, This then carries the message to an ___________, such as a muscle which causes the muscle to contract and hence, causes the knee to move or jerk.

These would be my answers in order...

knee
sensory neuron
CNS
relay neuron
motor neuron
effector
Original post by JessThomas6
We've been told to aim 400-500 words
It depends, in Unit one my first was barely anything, the second was three of the four pages given to us.

Okay, I'm just worried about overwriting because timing seems to be a problem of mine :/
Original post by amelienine
Okay, I'm just worried about overwriting because timing seems to be a problem of mine :/

We get given 15 minutes for them when doing them in class
I find the papers to be too short for the time given, I can do them in 45 minutes to an hour :/

Yeah, it was
Reply 112
I think biological to OCD is very likely to come up, especially if cognitive approach is a 12 marker, I think definitions of abnormality will be a 6 marker just asking for evaluation

That's my feeling too. Obviously, I may be wrong.The cognitive and behavioural approaches both came-up as 12-markers in assessment papers - I see no logic in predicting them, above biology, based on an old spec papers.

My tutor informed me that they have someone new writing this paper too, which may suggest looking at the old spec' may or may not be indicative. However, it did seem to be for Unit 1.
does anyone else feel less confident about this exam after unit 1???

i literally forgot everything revising for unit 1 and i only know research methods now
Reply 114
Does anyone have the mark scheme to the specimen paper third set?!!
I don't understand the idea of schemas within the Cognitive Approach. Any help? :/
Original post by ali99
Does anyone have the mark scheme to the specimen paper third set?!!

SAM3 7181.2 MS.pdf
Original post by hopeless.student
Yeah he pretty much predicted accurately for the 1st paper, so I would trust his instincts however, try to revise everything if you have time! :smile:

I really don't have time! Have economics first thing tomorrow, any predictions for research methods?
Reply 118
Thankyou!
anyone want to revise together?

sc, whatsapp or anything.

Quick Reply

Latest