The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MA28613
Fair enough! I want to sleep so bad but I really can't. Good luck - I'm writing a response for the inspector atm. I don't think he's come up for the past five years so just gonna try my luck.:s-smilie:

Same, I just got an energy drink. Good luck with the inspector, I really really hope he doesn't come up :/ but he might so it's good you're doing some work on him. I've finished learning Gerald (not really tho) and currently working on memorising the inspector :sleep:
Original post by pink.lemonade
45mins for each (WIB and OMAM)
Personally I would split the OMAM into 5 minutes annotating extract, 20mins on part a and 20mins on part b.

Yep, there are 2 questions to choose from for the woman in black question. I do An Inspector Calls so I'm not sure if it's the same but usually for AIC one question is on a character and the other is on a theme.

Good luck!

Thanks and I'm sure I'll be fine. Yes maybe I should have been writing practice essays up until the exam but I don't think I'm capable of screwing up an english essay bad enough to get a B hopefully. Got 38/40 on the lit coursework so hopefully that will be a buffer if I don't do too great on the exam. Biggest opponent isn't being able to write a good essay but the time constraint.
Original post by black1blade
Thanks and I'm sure I'll be fine. Yes maybe I should have been writing practice essays up until the exam but I don't think I'm capable of screwing up an english essay bad enough to get a B hopefully. Got 38/40 on the lit coursework so hopefully that will be a buffer if I don't do too great on the exam. Biggest opponent isn't being able to write a good essay but the time constraint.

Yeah shouldn't be a problem. Let me know how it went after the exam! Well done that's great. I actually managed 40/40 but pretty sure I still need ridiculously high marks to get an A. And yes timing is such an issue for me. I end up putting in too much information about one point and realise my time in nearly up and I have to finish it whilst I'm midway through making a point.
Original post by MA28613
Yeah shouldn't be a problem. Let me know how it went after the exam! Well done that's great. I actually managed 40/40 but pretty sure I still need ridiculously high marks to get an A. And yes timing is such an issue for me. I end up putting in too much information about one point and realise my time in nearly up and I have to finish it whilst I'm midway through making a point.

I don't know how they mark the essays and my teacher doesn't either, she just gives us a grade based on how good she thinks it is. Apparently examiners disagree, some may think an answer is an A while other's think it's a C. That's my main problem with English- it's level of subjectivity. Shame I can't take it next year because of the way my sixth form's option blocks work.
gonna sleep now. See you tomorrow, then the day after... exam day :eek4:
Heads up. We go in the exam hall and leave something special for everyone to remember because we are the last to do this specification.

You got this, we got this under control.

#****AQAStill
Reply 546
Original post by Em14520
Hey would you be able to send me the videos, you'd be a life saver thanks xx

Please me too. I only need Literature. TIA
PLEASE help me
I'm doing and inspector calls and TKAM, my English teacher isn't very good and has only really covered the poetry so I'm not confident at all with what I'm doing, I've done practise essays for her but she just gives a grade and no feedback so I don't trust her marking, I also find the timings really hard to stick by (but I'm also entitled to 25%) extra time, I've not really done much English lit revision and don't know where to start, any help and advice would be appreciated!
( I also got an A* in my controlled assessment and was wondering what scores I would need to get to get an A in the exam)
Anyone know where I can find sample essays?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What makes the difference between an A and an A* answer? I really want to get an A* and feel I know the play quite well, I really want to know what could help bump up my grade! :turtle:
I reckon Mrs Birling
Reply 551
Original post by strongcurrent
Anyone else here doing Kindertransport? :x

Hi there, I'm doing KIndertransport and omam tomorrow im not that confident with kindertransport but ive seen some suggestions that people have said may come up such as the abyss and villains x
Original post by dec1153
I reckon Mrs Birling

When's the last time she came up? My gut feeling is that it'll be gerald

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone doing A View From the Bridge?
I'm doing Kindertransport & what do you mean by abyss and villains? That's the questions could be about those things?

Original post by s_ovo
Hi there, I'm doing KIndertransport and omam tomorrow im not that confident with kindertransport but ive seen some suggestions that people have said may come up such as the abyss and villains x
Original post by Lawliet-L
Novel: Of Mice and Men
Play: Kindertransport
Poetry cluster: Relationships

Great to find someone else doing Kindertransport! Do you have any predictions for the exam?

Novel: OMAM
Play: Kindertransport
Poetry: Conflict
I am actually crying I need an A* my coursework was 37/40 so I think that that is probably an a* but I have no idea what to write about for the crucible. Does anyone have any predictions for which theme will come up because I would prefer to do that question because when reading the examiner reports they said that the character ones were done poorly and no one had unique interpretations.
Argh freaking out!!
Original post by JoshuaE
✱GCSE English Literature 2016 - Unit 1 and 2✱

Hey! The purpose of this thread is to be a directory for all things AQA English Lit. General discussion, revision help and the elusive predictions are all welcome.
Dates:

23rd May 2016 - Unit 1 (Exploring modern texts)

27th May 2016 - Unit 2 (Poetry across time) OR Unit 4

Resources

BBC Bitesize - English Literature (For those who don't do the OMAM and AIC)

An Inspector calls - the entire play (A particularly more contemporary version was released last year but is only available through purchase)

GCSE Pod (School subscription required)

Emmark's notes (near the end of the page)

*If you find any useful resources message me and I'll put them in*

To help introduce yourself fill the form below:

What novel, play and poetry cluster are you studying?

How are you preparing for the exam - do you feel confident for it?

Do you have any predictions for certain characters/themes?

21/05/2016: Unit 1 predictions
These are predictions of themes/characters that the majority believe may be tested this year - take them seriously but revise other areas of your play/novel
You may notice some are more detailed than others. The predictions below are what has been said on this thread for the past month or so, the more popular texts have more responses.

Of Mice and Men: shooting of Candy's dog (Carlson), Curley, American dream, Masculinity

Purple Hibiscus: violence

The crucible: Elizabeth Proctor, Rebecca Nurse

An Inspector calls: The Inspector, Sheila/Eric, Gerald, Young and Old

Lord of Flies: no responses found

Sunlight on the grass: ^

To kill a mocking bird: Aticus, attitudes to Maycomb

of mice and men and dna
novel: Of mice & men
paly: DNA
poem: Conflict
If I got 27/40 in coursework is it possible for me to get an A or A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest