The Student Room Group

Stuck on what A-levels to choose, someone help!!

I currently want to take history, psychology and philosophy. I am stuck between business studies or government & politics as a fourth a level , which one should I choose?& is business studies a soft subject?
Reply 1
drop psychology take both
Reply 2
What do you want to study at university?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Depends which exam boards the subjects have, look at the style of the questions and if you really feel one is extremely difficult then go for the other
Reply 4
Original post by r-t
What do you want to study at university?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am thinking about doing law at university , but I thought maybe taking government & politics would be too much work with my other a-level options that seem a lot of work too
Reply 5
In life you've got to consider that when in work you're either working for a business or owning a business. Having the business studies knowledge could provide more help than you'd think. If you're doing law at university then maybe drop philosophy and take both?
Take the subjects that you like - you will do better if you enjoy revising them and tbh no one wants to spend a quater of their school time doing a subject you dont like.

That said, and this goes for anyone picking as subjects, in my opinion there are a couple of rules to picking AS subjects:
1. pick broadly - having maths and an englishy subject opens so many doors - what you want to do at uni and beyond will likely change and a broad base of subjects will stand you in the best position. As Generation Z we are not being trained for one career - most of us will have 4 or 5.
2. if you are taking more than one science be sure it is something you want to do - it varies between exam boards but gettting a c in sciences is widely accepted as being as difficult as getting an a in other subjects. Bioligy is NOT an easy subject - don't believe anyone that tells you it is
3. dont take a subject that your college/ school does not have good stats for. If government at politics is 60% A-B and Business studies is 97% A-C then take business studies.
4. This doesnt really apply to you but beware social sciences are a lot of work. More than 1 basically means you will spend half your life trying to learn evaluation points and that is not fun
5. This is the most important tip I can give you and is key to doing well at A-Level: take subjects that suit your SKILLS. If you are not good at evaluating DONT take a social science. Dont take maths if you did not get an A to A* at GCSE - you wont do well. Dont take English if you just want to learn from a textbook. Dont take science if you have poor exam technique. Think about the skills not the content
6. there are no easy subjects at AS - none. Some are slightly harder but none are easy. People that do well have a combination of interest, hard work and have picked subjects that correspond to their skills. AS is a huge step from GCSE and it is possible to do well but also be aware it is possible to fail. Students that get all As and A*s at GCSE sometimes get a U or 2 in A level.

Sorry this is a bit long and a bit pessimistic but these are the things I wish someone would have told me when I started AS. It's a challenge but likely to be the best 2 years of your life so far.
(edited 7 years ago)
I wouldn't say Business is a soft subject. Personally, I don't study it, but a lot of my friends do and they had their AS exam a few days ago. A few of them found it easy, some got confused with the wording of the questions and one of my friends came out of the exam crying. It really depends on the person, how attentive you are in lessons and how much work you put in outside of classes :P Having said that though, I'd probably suggest looking at what each course entails and seeing which appeals more to you and is more likely to benefit you
Reply 8
Original post by meganann_x
I am thinking about doing law at university , but I thought maybe taking government & politics would be too much work with my other a-level options that seem a lot of work too

Well I did business studies which was good but the exam board was OCR which was horrible. I would suggest business studies as its more versatile unless the uni your looking to apply to wants government&politics as a prerequisite which I doubt.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest