The Student Room Group

12 MILLION Turks say they’ll come to the UK once EU deal is signed

Scroll to see replies

basically what man thinks is that turkey will never join cos them dickheads always be violating human rights and that
A Pew Research poll found that 8% of the Turkish population had a favourable view of ISIS:

That means 960,000 of the Turks that supposedly want to come to the UK will have a favourable view of ISIS. I'm sure that will work out well!
Original post by Bornblue
You're point is that 12 million Turks will come to the Uk yet now you're admitting they won't join the EU?

No Turkey don't terrify me.

Where have I said 12 million Turks will come to the UK? I don't believe that Turkey will join the EU in the near future.

I'm saying that Turkey has gigantic influence over the EU due to the refugee crisis. If this doesn't terrify you, you're a fool.

Erdogan is a quasi-dictator that doesn't believe in press freedom, democracy and has consistently persecuted and killed Kurds - our primary allies in the Middle East after Israel and Saudi Arabia. He's got the EU in his pocket over the refugee deal and threatening to go back on his deal if he doesn't get more money, currently a 6 billion Euro deal and counting.

I've lived in a Turkish community during my time stationed in Germany and all I can say is we were subject to some intelligence briefings about a lot of Turkish gang related activity. Again, of course there will be wonderful Turkish people but let's have a system where the Schengen area can decide for itself who's wonderful and who isn't.

Visa free access where people cross borders untracked from these countries is a recipe for disaster.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I hope after we have had a Vote Leave that the right wingers will remember the issues that are important to British people that they have learned from this campaign:

- saving the NHS
- too much congestion for housing and public services
- low pay for British workers

Right wingers want to privatise the profitable bits of the NHS and dump the rest onto the public sector, their MO is well known. They are the same people who hide their money from the taxman since they give a rats' arse about low pay or public services.
Original post by Supersaps
Where have I said 12 million Turks will come to the UK? I don't believe that Turkey will join the EU in the near future.

I'm saying that Turkey has gigantic influence over the EU due to the refugee crisis. If this doesn't terrify you, you're a fool.

Erdogan is a quasi-dictator that doesn't believe in press freedom, democracy and has consistently persecuted and killed Kurds - our primary allies in the Middle East after Israel and Saudi Arabia. He's got the EU in his pocket over the refugee deal and threatening to go back on his deal if he doesn't get more money, currently a 6 billion Euro deal and counting.

I've lived in a Turkish community during my time stationed in Germany and all I can say is we were subject to some intelligence briefings about a lot of Turkish gang related activity. Again, of course there will be wonderful Turkish people but let's have a system where the Schengen area can decide for itself who's wonderful and who isn't.

Visa free access where people cross borders untracked from these countries is a recipe for disaster.

Giving money to Turkey isn't a big problem. Ultimately it saves us a lot of money and trouble by helping us control the refugee situation. They do have influence, but that's not a problem right now. There still isn't any real risk of them joining the EU. If it ever does come to that, then we can leave. The thing I don't think people realise is that we can leave the EU at any time. Why leave now, because of something that just might become a problem? Why not keep reaping the rewards of membership and leave when, if, it becomes a problem?

Original post by Maker
Right wingers want to privatise the profitable bits of the NHS and dump the rest onto the public sector, their MO is well known. They are the same people who hide their money from the taxman since they give a rats' arse about low pay or public services.

Until it comes to the referendum. Then the NHS is the greatest thing about Britain, and the evil EU is going to take it away from us through TTIP (because of course we wouldn't be signing up to TTIP if we left the EU with a Tory government...)

Edit to add: Movement isn't exactly untracked. The UK isn't part of Schengen. Anyone coming over from another EU country (unless it happens to be Ireland or Scotland) has to go through normal border controls like everyone else. This is a huge misconception and there's loads of scaremongering about it.
(edited 7 years ago)

Have a look at your title. It's about saying 12 million Turks will come here. In order to do so they need EU membership. That won't happen.

Stop scaremongerinng.
Have a look at your title. It's about saying 12 million Turks will come here. In order to do so they need EU membership. That won't happen.

Stop scaremongerinng.

Yes, I know you want to argue against a strawman that isn't my position.

Whilst I agree that Turkey won't be joining the EU in the immediate future, I don't think that Turkey's influence over the EU is an irrelevant topic to the thread. And that influence is a largely malignant one because of Erdogan's quasi-dictatorship.
Healthcare should not be a part of politics it should be a free universal human right

I am a "right winger"
Yes, I know you want to argue against a strawman that isn't my position.

Whilst I agree that Turkey won't be joining the EU in the immediate future, I don't think that Turkey's influence over the EU is an irrelevant topic to the thread. And that influence is a largely malignant one because of Erdogan's quasi-dictatorship.

It's not a straw man. Why point out that 12 million Turks want to come when they won't even be able to given that Turkey is not joining the EU? You're shifting the goalposts.
It's not a straw man. Why point out that 12 million Turks want to come when they won't even be able to given that Turkey is not joining the EU? You're shifting the goalposts.

You're a belter.

Where did I say that? Please argue against my actual arguments rather than what you want to argue against because it's easier.
You're a belter.

Where did I say that? Please argue against my actual arguments rather than what you want to argue against because it's easier.

Have you even read your own title?
'12 million Turks say they'll come to UK...'
No, they won't.
Reply 32
Original post by The Truth Now
In the most extensive survey of its kind, almost 16 per cent of Turkish adults said they would consider re-locating to the UK once their country becomes a full member of the EU.

According to the poll, which saw more than 2,600 adults interviewed across all 27 provinces of Turkey, most of those keen to come to Britain are either unemployed or students, raising the prospect of a migrant influx which would place an unprecedented strain on the UK’s struggling public services, including the NHS.

Read More:
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/672563/Turkey-EU-Britain-exclusive-poll-crime-figures-Turks

That won't happen, we all know that. I do not understand why people are getting worried about Turkey joining the EU, there are also 26 other independent countries that have the membership. UK wants to be so independent and isolated for no reason.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by marinara pizza
Daily Express, oh boy!

Isn't that the newspaper which praised Putin for being the 'hero' in Syria, despite bombing civilians? -_-

Yep, and the same paper that has sensationalist headlines based on nothing before every winter saying it's going to be the worst winter in centuries, and then it turns out to be another mild winter, they're notorious for printing sensationalist bs to sell papers, regardless of whether there's any truth to what they're writing, nothing you read in there should be taken seriously and neither should this.
Have you even read your own title?
'12 million Turks say they'll come to UK...'
No, they won't.

What are you on about?
Original post by NickLCFC
A Pew Research poll found that 8% of the Turkish population had a favourable view of ISIS:

That means 960,000 of the Turks that supposedly want to come to the UK will have a favourable view of ISIS. I'm sure that will work out well!

100% of people in Lebanon have a negative view of them but 1% don't know? I'm no mathematician but I'm pretty sure that doesn't work out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are you on about?

Read the title of this thread.
Original post by Underscore__
100% of people in Lebanon have a negative view of them but 1% don't know? I'm no mathematician but I'm pretty sure that doesn't work out.

Read the note at the bottom.

"Note: Due to rounding, percentages may not total 100%".
Original post by NickLCFC

And the other 92% don't because they think homosexuals should be crushed with a boulder and not thrown from atop high-rise building ?
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I hope after we have had a Vote Leave that the right wingers will remember the issues that are important to British people that they have learned from this campaign:

- saving the NHS
- too much congestion for housing and public services
- low pay for British workers

It is the left with the recent love for mass migration that has / is causing problems for all 3 of the bullet points.

Quick Reply

Latest