The Student Room Group

Exam anxiety

I'm really sorry if this is in the wrong section but I didn't know where to put it!

Ok so I had to leave the exam hall just before my first exam last Friday because I had an anxiety attack and I got put into a classroom to do it instead. The classroom put me at ease and made me feel so much better, I really prefer it there.

I'm really frustrated because there's no logic behind the anxiety: I have an unconditional uni offer and I'm fine when I actually open the exam paper. It's just the run up before.

Apart from doing the exam in a classroom, are there any other ways I could try and control my "exam anxiety"? Any tips would be very much appreciated!
Reply 1
Hi,
I completely understand. My teachers say its better for between an hour and half an hour before your exam to just chill. Grab some food from the canteen, put all of your revision materials away and just relax. There's no point in cramming as you're never going to learn new things 30 minutes before your exam.
What I tend to do when I get into the exam hall is take a big sip of water and pretend that I'm in my own bubble. Don't be distracted by others who are negative about exams. When you begin the paper tell yourself "I know the answer" and just do the best you can.
Remember, if you start to feel anxious you can leave. Everyone is in the same boat as long as you do your best, that's all that really matters.
Hope this helps and good luck!!!!!
Original post by oliviamaee
I'm really sorry if this is in the wrong section but I didn't know where to put it!

Ok so I had to leave the exam hall just before my first exam last Friday because I had an anxiety attack and I got put into a classroom to do it instead. The classroom put me at ease and made me feel so much better, I really prefer it there.

I'm really frustrated because there's no logic behind the anxiety: I have an unconditional uni offer and I'm fine when I actually open the exam paper. It's just the run up before.

Apart from doing the exam in a classroom, are there any other ways I could try and control my "exam anxiety"? Any tips would be very much appreciated!

Original post by Livs24
Hi,
I completely understand. My teachers say its better for between an hour and half an hour before your exam to just chill. Grab some food from the canteen, put all of your revision materials away and just relax. There's no point in cramming as you're never going to learn new things 30 minutes before your exam.
What I tend to do when I get into the exam hall is take a big sip of water and pretend that I'm in my own bubble. Don't be distracted by others who are negative about exams. When you begin the paper tell yourself "I know the answer" and just do the best you can.
Remember, if you start to feel anxious you can leave. Everyone is in the same boat as long as you do your best, that's all that really matters.
Hope this helps and good luck!!!!!

Good advice there from Livs24...The only things that I would add is maybe go for a walk before your exam to clear your head and also perhaps try to stay way from the exam hall until the last minute, so other people can't make you more nervous/anxious about it- I find that other nervous people make me more stressed out/nervous about the whole thing. I also try and keep my mind occupied with something else before the exam so that I don't think about it too much- I do a Rubik's cube, but this could be anything like listening to music, reading a book, etc. I also find it difficult getting in the exam, but once I start I'm usually ok and these suggestions help me to be a bit calmer about exams and they (or similar) might work for you too? Hope this helps and that the rest of your exams go well :smile:
I also agree with whats Livs24 had to say, so I'm not going to repeat it.

Just wanted to say though, I am the exact same. I'm fine the week before, the day before, the night before. But the second I wake up, I panic. I can't eat, drink, or brush my teeth without gagging. I rush into school to do last minute revision and get myself into a state like some little freak of the week. Do what Liv said about putting it all to the side; also, try and stay away from other nervous and jittery people because they will make you feel worse, and don't discuss the topics/subject with other people beforehand. Then the second I put down my backpack and take my seat at the exam, it all goes away. And I'm fine. So weird right? Who knows and to be frank I don't really care.

I've spoken to doctors, psychologists, had pills, and all that, because I also have generalised anxiety which contributes to depression a bit. But if there is one thing that works the most it's taking big but slow deep breathes and telling yourself repeatedly: "Calm down. Everything is fine. This will be over in a little while. Just relax"

Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending