The Student Room Group

Opinions on horse racing?

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2016/05/21/winner-first-race-on-preakness-day-homeboykris-collapses-dies.html

I read things like this and think hmmm.

So what are your opinions? Do you like horse racing?
Tesco is behind this
Reply 2
Original post by hezzlington
Do you like horse racing?

No.
I also don't like those pansies that ride horses out on roads and stuff.

Their excuse is that they care for the animals: they be like 'yeah we ride them but we also feed them'. I be like: That's still pretty much fooking slavery, m8.

#freethehorsies
Original post by Infamous*
Tesco is behind this

wut

Original post by Davalla
No.
I also don't like those pansies that ride horses out on roads and stuff.

like...the police?
image.jpeg
:horse:
Generally if an animal is cruelly treated I disapprove.

Also I didn't read anything other than the headline :biggrin:

Original post by Dima-Blackburn
image.jpeg

eh..?
I wrote a dissertation on this back in sixth-form.

Essentially, if you have a problem with the actual activity of people getting on a horse and racing it, you should have a problem with all forms of horse riding and use.

The problems with horse racing, in my opinion, stem from the industry itself. Anyone who knows anything about horse racing will realise that the fundamental issues are not with the activity but everything else to do with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moonstruck16
I wrote a dissertation on this back in sixth-form.

Essentially, if you have a problem with the actual activity of people getting on a horse and racing it, you should have a problem with all forms of horse riding and use.

The problems with horse racing, in my opinion, stem from the industry itself. Anyone who knows anything about horse racing will realise that the fundamental issues are not with the activity but everything else to do with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

everything else to do with it such as what?
I love horse racing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hate hate hate it. Especially the Grand National and the Lady's Day, it's horrendous.
Reply 11
Depends if I'm winning or not.
Original post by DiddyDec
I love horse racing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you like about it?
Original post by hezzlington
everything else to do with it such as what?

The fact that thoroughbred racehorses are bred to be fast and light. Which means lighter and weaker bones. The fact that flat race horses are far too young and haven't even finished growing by the time they start racing. Don't forget the inbreeding. The fact that many jump racing horses are taken to events, such as the grand national, when their jumping ability does not match the level of the course. The fact that very very few of the race horses bred make it to official races, and very few of them become good enough to actually keep. They are considered so disposable.

There are a few reasons.

The act of getting your horse and galloping it through a field with your mate is arguably not cruel. Accidents have and will happen. However add the other factors associated with horse racing and you have a different view.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Totally against it
The only people who should ride or own horses are those who do it for enjoyment from bonding and learning from your horse. Not how much money it makes or the adrenaline rush it gives you. If racing horse riders and owners loved their horses they wouldn't work them so young and hard they get physical deformaties or chuck them in a rescue when they're too old to win anything - by which time few people have the time/experience to retrain so they get pts.

Quick Reply

Latest