The Student Room Group

Apparently my GCSE's are undesirable of uni's, is it true?

Scroll to see replies

I think it depends more on what you do/get at A-level. Unis may glance at your GCSE grades but I don't think it matters what it they were. :smile:
Original post by gwagon
They would be more worried about the grades than the number of GCSEs you took.

Yeah but what about the subjects individually don't they look at them as 'soft' and 'academic' wont people with 9/10 Gcse's that are considered academic be more desired
My friend and I are both currently doing GCSEs and we both applied for the same school for sixth form and although her predicted grades are amazing, she didn't get in and when she asked them why just out of curiosity they told her she didn't have many 'desirable' subjects. They have put subjects into 3 different lists based on how desirable they are. I don't know about universities though.
Original post by niv1234
My friend and I are both currently doing GCSEs and we both applied for the same school for sixth form and although her predicted grades are amazing, she didn't get in and when she asked them why just out of curiosity they told her she didn't have many 'desirable' subjects. They have put subjects into 3 different lists based on how desirable they are. I don't know about universities though.

I can imagine it's the same for uni's, what were the different subject lists
Original post by Misspinkypoop
I can imagine it's the same for uni's, what were the different subject lists

It's really weird and confusing, I don't know why they have done it like this, look on page 8 and 9 on here.

http://www.hbschool.org.uk/userfiles/henriettamvc/pdf/admissions/policies-and-documents/2016%20policy/2016%20Entry%20Policy.pdf
Reply 45
Yeah but what about the subjects individually don't they look at them as 'soft' and 'academic' wont people with 9/10 Gcse's that are considered academic be more desired

That's a problem for A levels. Admissions don't really look at your GCSEs in depth.
Reply 46
They are;
Maths
English-lit/lang
Core/double science
Re
Business studies
Health and social care
Sociology
French

I think you'll be absolutely fine with those! Most universities tend not to look at GCSEs more at A-Levels. Just do as well as you can :smile:
The only thing I'm wondering is why are you taking double/core science if you are interested in medicine?
They are;
Maths
English-lit/lang
Core/double science
Re
Business studies
Health and social care
Sociology
French

Maths - extremely valuable
English lit/lang - as above
Core/double science - as above, although triple would've been better
RE - Meh
Business studies - definitely a soft subject sorry to say - at GCSE it really is quite straight forward and easy to blag your way through - personally I didn't even revise for it and got full ums - and that isn't me being big headed or acting like I'm einstein, I'm just being honest, it's not a hard GCSE.
Health and social care - soft subject
Sociology - again, meh
French - really valuable

Of course this is just my opinion. As has been said, A levels, extracurricular and aptitude test scores matter more for medicine.
Original post by fuzz13
I think you'll be absolutely fine with those! Most universities tend not to look at GCSEs more at A-Levels. Just do as well as you can :smile:
The only thing I'm wondering is why are you taking double/core science if you are interested in medicine?

Yeah as i said earlier, our school practically forced everyone- except for a select few who were "capable" to do core/additional instead of triple.
Original post by fuzz13
Most universities tend not to look at GCSEs more at A-Levels.

ALL Universities will state a minimum GCSE requirement (subjects and grades) for each course.
If you don't meet these in full, your application will go straight on the No pile - whatever your A level predictions are.

Read this TSR article 'How to avoid 5 Rejections : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=20445-how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
Reply 50
As long as you have over 8 good GCSE grades. Universities don't really care which subjects because most people do Maths, English, Science and a couple of others to give you an all-rounded knowledge. As long as you get good grades in your GCSEs, universities won't care which subjects you took.

A Levels are what matter; make sure you pick subjects related to what you want to do and get good grades in them.
Original post by roadmanchasin£££
well you aint getting an EBacc without history bruv

No British University asks for 'EBAC' or gives extra points for it.
Original post by ajaxxay
As long as you have over 8 good GCSE grades. Universities don't really care which subjects

This is total rubbish.

See my post above.
Original post by returnmigrant
No British University asks for 'EBAC' or gives extra points for it.

i know bruv, just means you got a good range of subjects.
No university gives a flying **** what your GCSEs are, unless you only did maths, english, and BTec mountain biking level 1.Your grades matter at GCSE 100x more than your choices, it's only really at A-level where your choices matter.

edit: as the person said above there are usually a couple minimums, but if you do double award science or core+additional you will almost definitely be fine for the majority of medicine courses. Oxford/Cambridge do not ask for minimum requirements at GCSE usually except cambridge which I believe is CC in double award and C in english.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by returnmigrant
This is total rubbish.

See my post above.

What do you mean? GCSE subjects don't matter as long as they can get you onto the A Level courses that you need to do to get into your chosen degree course?
It's very rare that a uni's entry requirements say "Must have ____ at GCSE level." is it not?
Original post by ajaxxay

It's very rare that a uni's entry requirements say "Must have ____ at GCSE level." is it not?

If you look at Uni course requirements you will see this is precisely what they DO say.

ie. Uni of Bath http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/ug/prospectus/subject/mechanical-engineering-manufacturing-management/entry-requirements/, Uni of Manchester : http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2016/01428/medicine-5-years--mbchb/entry-requirements/, UCL https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/application/requirements/a-level-gcse
Can I suggest that all of you do some research into University requirements before you comment further.

Even for Medicine, your application could fail because didn't actually bother to read the GCSE requirements and just assumed it didn't matter. I am an Admissions Tutor at an RG Uni. Every year I turn away many otherwise good applicants for exactly this reason. Read the course requirements IN FULL - never, ever, just assume.
Reply 58

All of these require English and Maths at a specific level, which are compulsory subjects so OP can't have picked the wrong subjects.Manchester is the exception which asks for either a GCSE or A Level in specific sciences. Still, OP meets requirements and hasn't picked any subjects which will disadvantage them in the future.

Sure, OP could've helped themselves more by taking History or something, but other than that the GCSEs are fine.
Original post by ajaxxay
All of these require English and Maths at a specific level, which are compulsory subjects so OP can't have picked the wrong subjects.Manchester is the exception which asks for either a GCSE or A Level in specific sciences. Still, OP meets requirements and hasn't picked any subjects which will disadvantage them in the future.

Sure, OP could've helped themselves more by taking History or something, but other than that the GCSEs are fine.

It isn't the specifics of the OP's case I'm commenting on. Its the subsequent sweeping statements like 'Unis aren't interested in your GCSEs' which, as you can see, are highly misleading and totally incorrect.

Quick Reply

Latest