The Student Room Group

To Kill a Mockingbird Chat

For those of us doing English Literature Mockingbird , I thought it would be a nice idea to discuss some things from it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
I think I will fail.
Original post by Undec
I think I will fail.

So will I. :getmecoat:
I think Calpurnia or Heck Tate will be the main focus in part a for those who do the AQA board.
How are you all revising? I'm going to do a practise question over the weekend and (attempt to) mark it. If I have time I will analyse some characters. What is the other book and poetry section you are doing?
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
I think Calpurnia or Heck Tate will be the main focus in part a for those who do the AQA board.

Why do you think that? Not that I don't believe you, I'd just like to see where you're coming from
Anyone doing Edexcel IGCSE on Monday? What do you predict for it?
Racism examples/"white people giving black people hell":
- Trial (obvious but a clear example)
- Bob Ewell following Helen Robinson post-trial
- Missionary tea party post-trial, Aunt Alexandra's friends talking about black people
- Scout's new teacher at school, Miss Gates, post-trial, being hypocritical in emphasising that the USA is a democracy as Scout had earlier overheard her telling another person that "it's time [black people] got taught a lesson" (the quote's something along those lines)
- Racial segregation in the courtroom
- Dill saying "he doesn't look like trash" about Dolphus Raymond after being informed that he has a black lover and mixed-race children; not necessarily Dill giving them "hell" but shows how he has been influenced
- White people gambling in the black church during weekdays even though gambling is a sin in the bible; literally making their church a "hell"

That's all I can think of right now, hope this helps! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by GlassyMarbles
Why do you think that? Not that I don't believe you, I'd just like to see where you're coming from

Calpurnia because she plays a major role in the upbringing of Scout andJem and she is the only black woman who is treated as more than a servant. HeckTate I think because although he is someone of authority, as the novelprogresses we can see that his sense of justice strengthens...
I'm doing mockingbird with CCEA! It's closed book and I'm freaking out tbh:s-smilie:
Reply 12

who is heck tate? and why do you predict this?

my english teacher said there is a high chance for jam and counts relationship to come up
Reply 13

my english teacher said there is a high chance for jam and counts relationship to come up
Original post by atrxdg

I'm not doing AQA but this is Heck Tate
http://www.shmoop.com/to-kill-a-mockingbird/heck-tate.html
Original post by atrxdg

Heck Tate is the town Sheriff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending