The Student Room Group

Can't stop worrying about total drug-resistant infections?

As you are probably aware, a report came out yesterday saying how drug-resistant infections could kill someone every 3 seconds by 2050 unless action is taken. Well looking more into the worst-case scenario, it's just made me feel incredibly worried about it. It scares me that later in my lifetime a simple infection could kill me because drugs wouldn't work anymore. I know that this may not actually happen if correct steps are taken in the next few decades, and/or new drugs are discovered, but I'd literally spent all day with the worst case thought stuck in my mind and I'd felt pretty unwell all day as a result because I just don't know what the actual outcome will be.

I hope this worry is only a phase, but at the moment it's basically stopping me enjoying the here-and-now because I'm just too concerned about whether things could get this bad in the future, and I obviously hope solutions are found in the future to prevent it, but no one can know yet. I'm 18 now and I know I'll be 52 by 2050 so it's decades away, but I just don't want to feel that there will be a day in my lifetime where all infections are incurable, whereas now some drugs are still available.

I also spoke to my Dad last night as well to hear another voice and he sounded pretty convinced that with all those minds and all that time, some solution would've been found by 2050 (which is also what I kept telling myself), and he has a degree in chemistry. It just startled me seeing as the report said no new antibiotic had been found since the 80s so I just kept worrying that suppose the scientists don't find a solution and the situation gets that fragile. I know that all news operations always report the worst-case scenario to promote action but it always worries me. I've looked into the potential solutions as well which seem very viable, but the other thought keeps circulating. I just don't want to have to make the most of it now for worry it would all be gone by my 50s. I just have that tendency.

I don't know what to do to get over it? I have Asperger's as well which probably doesn't help. It's a bit complicated but that roughly sums it up.

Scroll to see replies

I'm not sure if this is perverse or whatever, but I find it quite amusing that legal drugs could have indirectly contributed to more deaths than their illegal counterparts some time after 2050.

Worst case scenario, obviously. And not entirely relevant. But worth a mention for some reason or another.
Reply 2
By 2050 you'll be dead anyway (from one of those antibiotic resistance superbugs most likely), so don't worry about it. A good lesson that mother nature always wins in the end.
tbh there are too many people on the planet.... this will reduce the population to manageable levels.
Reply 4
Original post by Drunk Punx
I'm not sure if this is perverse or whatever, but I find it quite amusing that legal drugs could have indirectly contributed to more deaths than their illegal counterparts some time after 2050.

Worst case scenario, obviously. And not entirely relevant. But worth a mention for some reason or another.

Is it not more than legal drugs have prevented deaths due to infections for decades, and now they will no longer be able to do so? In which case surely it can't really be said that they have caused these deaths.
Original post by offhegoes
Is it not more than legal drugs have prevented deaths due to infections for decades, and now they will no longer be able to do so? In which case surely it can't really be said that they have caused these deaths.

I believe I said "indirectly contributed", not "caused".

Because without these drugs, whilst it's true that they have indeed saved many lives, it's likely that the superbacteria wouldn't have come to light. Or at least, they wouldn't have come to light as a result of the existence of pharmaceutical drugs.
Reply 6
Original post by Drunk Punx
I believe I said "indirectly contributed", not "caused".

Because without these drugs, whilst it's true that they have indeed saved many lives, it's likely that the superbacteria wouldn't have come to light. Or at least, they wouldn't have come to light as a result of the existence of pharmaceutical drugs.

But superbacteria are just bacteria that are resistant to drugs, right? No more potent that normal bacteria in the absence of drugs? Or do I have that wrong?
It's a scenario that probably will happen. With new strains of mutated bacteria etc, the resistance is happening and it's only going to get worse. In terms of antibiotics, I find it really irritating when people don't have the full damn course, then they wonder why it's a recurring infection. Take the whole course! Giving the bacteria time to blooming adapt. It can be avoided but it would take some serious changes. Besides, with medical advances, we may overcome it, but I dunno. I just hope it doesn't happen. As well as that, the antibiotics have been brilliant, the only problem is, doctors seem to dish it out quite a bit, maybe too much. I went to a doctor with a thought that I had a chest infection, unfortunately I've had them before a couple of times. I didn't even say much and bam! Amoxicillin, take it, you're sorted. I denied it, I had the option to, it turned out I didn't even have an infection just some bloody phlegm. But the lack of understanding of resistance was astounding, it's far too easily prescribed. I may be wrong in what I've said somewhere, but meh, main point! It may or may not happen, for now don't worry about it too much, just make sure you tell anyone taking antibiotics to finish the course prescribed!
Reply 8
Science will find a way. Dare I say I have faith.
Original post by offhegoes
But superbacteria are just bacteria that are resistant to drugs, right? No more potent that normal bacteria in the absence of drugs? Or do I have that wrong?

Iunno :h:

The way I see it (and I might be completely wrong here seeing as I'm just kinda winging it), you've got it largely right in that the superbacteria are normal bacteria that have evolved to resist the drugs.

So I would imagine that there's every chance that they're as harmless as your normal bacteria until they make the drugs you're using to cure yourself of something redundant, at which point you're more likely to die due to ineffective medication (which in turn pushes their lethality up, kinda like a secondary power of theirs).

Either way, I'm completely unaware of any superbacteria that counteract the effects of my herbal green friend :hippie:
There are far more things in the political sphere right now which may result in your death, and a lot sooner than 2050. Don't worry.
Original post by the bear
tbh there are too many people on the planet.... this will reduce the population to manageable levels.

This is a myth.
Original post by Unkempt_One
This is a myth.

this is not a myth;

it is an inconvenient truth
Original post by RobertEllis97
As you are probably aware, a report came out yesterday saying how drug-resistant infections could kill someone every 3 seconds by 2050 unless action is taken. Well looking more into the worst-case scenario, it's just made me feel incredibly worried about it. It scares me that later in my lifetime a simple infection could kill me because drugs wouldn't work anymore. I know that this may not actually happen if correct steps are taken in the next few decades, and/or new drugs are discovered, but I'd literally spent all day with the worst case thought stuck in my mind and I'd felt pretty unwell all day as a result because I just don't know what the actual outcome will be.

I hope this worry is only a phase, but at the moment it's basically stopping me enjoying the here-and-now because I'm just too concerned about whether things could get this bad in the future, and I obviously hope solutions are found in the future to prevent it, but no one can know yet. I'm 18 now and I know I'll be 52 by 2050 so it's decades away, but I just don't want to feel that there will be a day in my lifetime where all infections are incurable, whereas now some drugs are still available.

I also spoke to my Dad last night as well to hear another voice and he sounded pretty convinced that with all those minds and all that time, some solution would've been found by 2050 (which is also what I kept telling myself), and he has a degree in chemistry. It just startled me seeing as the report said no new antibiotic had been found since the 80s so I just kept worrying that suppose the scientists don't find a solution and the situation gets that fragile. I know that all news operations always report the worst-case scenario to promote action but it always worries me. I've looked into the potential solutions as well which seem very viable, but the other thought keeps circulating. I just don't want to have to make the most of it now for worry it would all be gone by my 50s. I just have that tendency.

I don't know what to do to get over it? I have Asperger's as well which probably doesn't help. It's a bit complicated but that roughly sums it up.

I know how you feel but you have to get over it. Bluntly, this is more your Asperger's talking than your rational side. There is overwhelming socioeconomic impetus to develop solutions to this.
Reply 14
daft
this is not a myth;

it is an inconvenient truth

It's a complete myth. To be more specific, the idea that the planet can't sustain our current population or even a population much larger is a complete myth and is peddled I dare say more by environmentalists than anyone who actually knows about economics, demographics or sustainability.
It's a complete myth. To be more specific, the idea that the planet can't sustain our current population or even a population much larger is a complete myth and is peddled I dare say more by environmentalists than anyone who actually knows about economics, demographics or sustainability.

it is the number who can live in comfort and safety which is important. sure the planet could sustain perhaps 1000000000000 people but it would not be fun.
it is the number who can live in comfort and safety which is important. sure the planet could sustain perhaps 1000000000000 people but it would not be fun.

Yes, and under the most likely projections for future population growth there's no way it will inhibit everyone from living in comfort and safety. The solutions are sustainable development, eliminating rent-seeking and corruption, and scientific progress, not culling or letting people die.
Yes, and under the most likely projections for future population growth there's no way it will inhibit everyone from living in comfort and safety. The solutions are sustainable development, eliminating rent-seeking and corruption, and scientific progress, not culling or letting people die.

unfortunately our species is programmed for agression & conflict.... it will all end in tears... pretty soon i would suggest :h:
Reply 19
This is a myth.

The only myth here is that there is not a maximum sustainable global carrying capacity. 10 Billion is actually way beyond the carrying capacity of the planet because resources are already being depleted at a massive rate.

So either you let population grow unchecked and have a massive die-off at some point or something gets done about it one way or the other through war or some killer disease culls a large part of the population.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending