The Student Room Group

How big a jump is GCSE to A-level?

I am a GCSE student and I want to know how hard is it to do the very best at A-level.

Scroll to see replies

Scale from 1-10 of difficulty.

GCSE - 2
A -Level - 7 or 8
Original post by BangzTheAssassin
I am a GCSE student and I want to know how hard is it to do the very best at A-level.

Quite big but small compared to the jump between A-level and university (depending on the university)

Original post by SirRaza97

GCSE - 2
A -Level - 7 or 8

I'd put GCSE 1, AS 3, A2 4, degree first year 7, degree finals 10 though obviously that varies depending on your degree course.

GCSE - 2
A -Level - 7 or 8
so wait are you saying that A-levels are 4x harder
A levels is a nightmare compared to GCSE and because your doing GCSE atm, your A level subjects will probably be the new specification which is very hard compared to the old specs. If you constantly work hard during your 1st year and you have done most of the past papers and other exam qs you should be alright. Don't be like me and most students by leaving everything until the last minute because you will fail. P.S chemistry and physics will kill you

GCSE - 2
A -Level - 7 or 8

You must be joking it can't be that hard.

Original post by riyadhussain123
A levels is a nightmare compared to GCSE and because your doing GCSE atm, your A level subjects will probably be the new specification which is very hard compared to the old specs. If you constantly work hard during your 1st year and you have done most of the past papers and other exam qs you should be alright. Don't be like me and most students by leaving everything until the last minute because you will fail. P.S chemistry and physics will kill you

Whats wrong with physics? I'm thinking of picking it
It's way harder than it is at GCSE, the content is harder to grasp than most subjects particular Mechanics and Waves. If you do further maths, you'll understand Mechainics better than physics students who don't do fm
Original post by theBranicAc

Original post by theBranicAc

It's a very genralized scale haha. I gave it that because it takes a lot of effort compared to GSCE to get a good grade. I had to work about 2 hours a day and 5 hours on weekends/holidays to get a good A in physics. I think it gives you a good kick in th backside once you start doing A levels and settle in. It all depends on what A level you are doing and how capable you are.

Imo I think physics isn't that bad. People say its hard but it really isn't. I think chemistry is the hardest A level out then Maths then physics. If you are thinking of doing it, go for it. It's a good subject with some really interetsing stuff
Also there are less resources online for physics than there are for the other sciences
It's way harder than it is at GCSE, the content is harder to grasp than most subjects particular Mechanics and Waves. If you do further maths, you'll understand Mechainics better than physics students who don't do fm
As somebody who is doing AS level maths alongside my GCSEs, I am having to put wayy more work into my maths than anything else. I think I am going to prefer the level of focus next year when I come to be doing just A-levels.
Well I'm old spec, not new, so I don't know how helpful this will be, but anyway!

I'd say the jump from GCSE - AS isn't too hard in terms of content. I mean obviously it gets harder, but if you can get a good grade at GCSE then I think it's easiy doable. For me, it was more the totally different style of learning! Our teachers told us to do 30 minutes per subject per night, and I never listened to them, but now, coming up to my A2 exams... I wish I had!

GCSEs seem to be a lot more about memory, and are a lot easier to cram, whereas A levels require constant, sustained learning throughout the year.

A2 content does get harder in my opinion, but if you've got used to how to study A levels, then I think you can do it!

Which subjects are you thinking of taking? :smile:
with new subjects, it's quite a leap.

ie. if you had taken english lit at GCSE then gone on to do it at A-level, i'd say the difficulty of the jump is like 3/10.

but (if this wasn't available at your GCSE) taking a new subject like psychology is around 6-7/10 since it's a completely new course for you, and you have only a year to get the content down for AS-level exams.

however, i wouldn't be intimidated! as long as you're determined to work hard and stay positive about the workload, it will not be a jump as much as it is a step.
I'm doing the new spec a levels. To put things into perspective, at my school everyone was advised to take 4 as levels, but with the new spec being harder and more content, 3 is now advised. Personally, I found the jump very hard, as one person said to me it's like 'going paintballing once then being dropped in Syria to fight isis'.
I got 8 A and 2A* at gcse and did a FSMQ and A levels are VERY dificult. Dont do them unless you are really willing to work hard
A Levels are difficult. Do not just choose them because it's the easiest option. You will have virtually no free time.
I'll put it this way, at GCSE I got 3A* and 8As and only worked for an hour or two each evening and maybe a couple at the weekend. Now, I work in all my frees, 3 hours each evening and all day both Saturday and Sunday. Oh, and did I mention that I'm still falling behind? At GCSE, you got a piece of homework to do from each subject once a week that would take you maybe an hour maximum. Now, I get work every lesson from all subjects, work emailed to me for the weekends and have to do 'consolidation' on a regular basis which then gets checked to see that I've done it.
Not easy, and not a small jump.
The jump is definitely noticeable, particularly for languages (I do French). I have also heard the the sciences are really tough and people who did well at GCSE last year are now struggling to keep up. I must say that for English Literature, the jump isn't as much as other subjects, as it still involved reading and analysing books, it's just that we look more at author's techniques for AS than we did for GCSE.

The main thing is that for AS and A Levels, there is more content for each subject and also it is treated in more depth.
I think it varies depending on your attitude. As someone who came out with good GCSEs despite doing hardly any work, the jump to A-Level was intense. I'd probably say around 4-5 times harder.

Seconding the chemistry death.
It is actually awful. I got an A* at GCSE with not too much effort, I'm doing the new spec, with lots more work than at GCSE and my friend and I (friend also got A* at GCSE even easier than me) have got a new scale for grades. We need an A for our varying career aspirations , if we get that we will be over the moon, if we get a B we will be happy, realistically we are probably going a get a C and if we get a D, well means we can stay on the course next year and this year doesn't actually count because of the new specs layout (just 2x as much pressure next year)
(edited 7 years ago)
Have fun....

Skips :smile:
Honestly, the jump is huge. But it's definitely manageable! You just have to make sure you revise from September and stay on top of everything. It's so important that you don't get behind in anything. Do your homework as soon as it's set, and make sure that you pre-read, especially for the sciences. Watch revision YouTube videos if you don't understand something, and ask your teacher. They'll be more than happy to stay behind with you after school or during one of your free periods to do some work with you, even early on in the year.

Quick Reply

Latest