The Student Room Group

Celebrity Guess Who: Which celebrity has which mental illness?

Celebrity Guess Who
Mental Health Awareness Week 2016

TSR is running a campaign all of this week for Mental Health Awareness Week 2016 to promote and inform others of the state of mental health and to try and reduce the stigmas associated with mental health.

The 10 celebrities below all have been diagnosed with a mental illness in their lives but can you guess which who has what diagnosis? In no particular order, these are; ADHD, Bipolar, Anxiety, Bulimia, PTSD, Borderline Personality Disorder, Schizophrenia, Anorexia, Depression and OCD. (Answers will be revealed tomorrow!)

1) Stephen Fry - The much loved actor, comedian and broadcaster; he's experienced mental health problems for much of his life but wasn't diagosed with what illness until the age of 37?

2) Elton John - He's the well known pianist and musician who wrote the songs for 'The Lion King' but has battled which mental illness since the 1970's?

3) Russell Brand - Stand-up comedian, actor and political activist who was also famously married to Katy Perry; he's been diagnosed with two mental illnesses, can you name them both?

4) Robin Williams - Probably one of my favourite actors of all time just because of his innate ability to make me laugh but sadly passed away in 2014. Which mental health problem did he battle?

5) Vincent Van Gogh - Born in Holland in the 1850's, his painting 'Starry Night' is instantly recognisable. Although he grew up in a time where the idea of mental illnesses being more than just biological was in its infancy, it's widely believed he suffered from which mental illness in his short life?

6) Marilyn Monroe - One of the most famous actresses and models to ever live, passed away in 1962 at the age of 36; it was thought she battled with which mental illness which was passed on down through her mothers side of the family?

7) Leonardo DiCaprio - He finally won his very belated Oscar in 2016 for his lead role in the 'The Revenant' (he should have won it years and years ago :tongue:) The well known actor has been diagnosed with which mental illness?

8) Jennifer Lawrence - She's most known for her roles in 'Silver Linings Playbook' and as Katniss Everdeen in the Hunger Games Triology but suffered from which mental health problem as a child?

9) Lady Gaga - Singer, songwriter and social activist, who controversially turned up to 2010 MTV Video Music Awards in a dress made of raw beef has battled with which mental illness?

10) Sir Mick Jagger - Lead singer of the legendary Rolling Stones who was knighted in 2003 for his services to music, recently suffered from which mental health problem?

If you need some support outside of your friends and family: The Samaritans, Childline and Nightline are also great if you need someone to speak to, and also have email and instant messaging services if you can't or don't want to speak out loud to someone. If you're struggling, your GP is always a good first point of call though!

We're holding various events and writing about lots of different themes throughout the week. Take a look here!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

1) Bipolar disorder
2) Anxiety
3) ADHD and schizophrenia
4) Depression
5) PTSD
6) Bullimia
7) OCD
8) Anorexia
9) Depression
10) BPD
Apart from Stephen fry and one of Russell brands diagnosis it was me completely guessing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Not going to guess but it's really interesting to know these and what they've achieved in spite of their conditions, or still do with them. I think people forget sometimes that famous people are human too, and money doesn't mean they can't be ill or don't still have problems, and also how invisible mental illness s that you wouldn't be able to guess it. Shows how common it is a bit too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by claireestelle
1) Bipolar disorder
2) Anxiety
3) ADHD and schizophrenia
4) Depression
5) PTSD
6) Bullimia
7) OCD
8) Anorexia
9) Depression
10) BPD
Apart from Stephen fry and one of Russell brands diagnosis it was me completely guessing.

Good guesses Claire :tongue: let's see tomorrow who's closest :flutter:

Bipolar

ADHD

OCD

Depression

Schizophrenia

BPD?

Anxiety

Anorexia

Bulimia

PTSD

Original post by iEthan
Good guesses Claire :tongue: let's see tomorrow who's closest :flutter:

Bipolar

Depression

OCD

Depression

Schizophrenia

BPD?

Anxiety

Anorexia

Bulimia

PTSD

I might have googled my answers after posting them

Spoiler

I might have googled my answers after posting them

Spoiler

I guessed too tho! Hey, don't reveal the secrets :tongue:

Spoiler

Original post by iEthan
I guessed too tho! Hey, don't reveal the secrets :tongue:

Spoiler

Question is, what does the winner get?:P
This does go to show how you never know whether someone might have a certain diagnosis or not.
Reply 7
No Googling allowed guys! :colonhash::unimpressed:
Question is, what does the winner get?:P
This does go to show how you never know whether someone might have a certain diagnosis or not.

Ah, now that's up to Deyesy to decide :innocent: probably gets to bask in the glory of winning!
It really does. Quite thought provoking really… some very famous names up there. :yes:

Original post by Deyesy
No Googling allowed guys!

Claire did it after!! I didn't google :ahee:
Original post by Deyesy
No Googling allowed guys! :colonhash::unimpressed:

I did it after I'd answered, so its not cheating, right?:P
Original post by iEthan
Ah, now that's up to Deyesy to decide :innocent: probably gets to bask in the glory of winning!
It really does. Quite thought provoking really… some very famous names up there. :yes:

A trophy to put in our signatures maybe?:P I agree, it's incredibly thought provoking, i had known of about half of the list of celebs suffering from mental illness but i had no clue that elton john had until yesterday.
A trophy to put in our signatures maybe?:P I agree, it's incredibly thought provoking, i had known of about half of the list of celebs suffering from mental illness but i had no clue that elton john had until yesterday.

Hey, that's a good idea! I didn't know J-Law suffered with a MH issue :erm: that surprised me! Same with Elton John actually :erm: and Mick Jagger… :erm: goes to show doesn't it :yep:
Original post by iEthan
goes to show doesn't it :yep:

It really does.
I can't be the only one who didn't know that the majority on that list had a mental illness?
Original post by Tiger Rag
I can't be the only one who didn't know that the majority on that list had a mental illness?

Definitely not. It really shocked me.
Reply 15
Is this a mod exclusive thread bc where's mah basic bitches o_O?
1) Stephen Fry - PTSD - didn't he have a bad childhood?

2) Elton John - I'm going to guess bulimia because I remember he was really struggling with body image stuff

3) Russell Brand - I remember reading about him in some list but idk if it was BDP or Bipolar oijdfoijerogije okay bipolar and ADHD i think

4) Robin Williams - Depression

5) Vincent Van Gogh - schizophrenia?

6) Marilyn Monroe - depression

7) Leonardo DiCaprio - OCD

8) Jennifer Lawrence - anorexia

9) Lady Gaga - depression

10) Sir Mick Jagger - his medical files were leaked weren't they? but GAH i don't rememberrrrrrrrrrrr it was all over dah news
hmmm im just gonna guess anxiety cos haven't used that yet x3
@iEthan doneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by z33

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 17
Original post by z33

Spoiler

I want everyone to join in :puppyeyes:
Where are the answers? I'm curious. :tongue:
Original post by Sabertooth
Where are the answers? I'm curious. :tongue:

Yep. I'd love to see the answers as well :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest