The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology Unit 1 17/05 & Unit 2 23/05 - Official Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bubbles98
I know the feeling!! And if i even pass all of them i'll be lucky! Guess im not doing the course in uni ive always wanted to 😂

Luckily none of mine count towards my actual A levels... do any of yours?
Original post by elegantelephant
Do you mind mind maps? I have a mind map of social policy I could upload. :smile:

Please, I dont even know whats in the topic of social policies
Guys how do u structure the 20 markers in unit 2? Alll of the three 20 markers, I'm so confused!!!! :frown: (old spec!)
Original post by mollielollipop
Please, I dont even know whats in the topic of social policies

Photo 22-05-2016, 15 24 07.jpg

This is basically the key points - there aren't many names except for the perspectives as most of it is just the policies introduced. If it came up as a 20-marker, I imagine it'd be 'assess the extent to which social policies support the nuclear family' and discuss both sides and mention the perspectives as well. Hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by 10studentlife
Luckily none of mine count towards my actual A levels... do any of yours?

Yep my history and biology do 😭
Does anyone know on a ucas form do we put our actual AS grades or predicted ones or both?
Yep my history and biology do 😭
Does anyone know on a ucas form do we put our actual AS grades or predicted ones or both?

Oh thats a shame. Guessing you arent OCR for History then? I was told it was just our predicated grade. But say you do 4 for example, the one you drop will go on your UCAS form.
Oh thats a shame. Guessing you arent OCR for History then? I was told it was just our predicated grade. But say you do 4 for example, the one you drop will go on your UCAS form.

No i do ccea 😏 Aw I'll be so happy if its just predicted grades! Yeah i do four and im dropping french 100% but not much point putting it on the form its a guaranteed fail
No i do ccea 😏 Aw I'll be so happy if its just predicted grades! Yeah i do four and im dropping french 100% but not much point putting it on the form its a guaranteed fail

I think you have too
Reply 728
Anyone else feel like this exam's gonna flop?
I think you have too

I know i just mean its not going to do much good 😂
Assess the view that an ageing population creates problems for society. How would you answer this?!!!

Well perhaps start out in the intro by talking about trends that are causing an ageing population. (Increasing life expectancy, declining IMR, declining fertility therefore fewer young people being born compared to amount of elders etc)

Paragraph 1: Then I would go for the feminist perspective. This para would mention the fact that an ageing population would mean that the children of the elders are more likely to take them in to care for them, this burden is often placed upon the woman. Etc.

Paragraph 2: Then I would contrast and argue that having grandparents at home can be a great contribution to the family (can assist with childcare, emotional and financial costs)

Paragraph 3: My next para would be about the effects on the dependency ratio. This is due to more money needing to be spent and poured into the ageing population (goods and services) which will come out of the working class' pocket. You could argue from a Marxist perspective here as a burden would be placed on the working population.

Paragraph 4: I would reiterate about public services but explain that because more money would be thrown into things like the NHS for the elderly, some may argue that this is a waste because, well, they're old and money could be spent elsewhere. Feminists may argue that more money should be spent on centres and facilities for women suffering from domestic abuse or rape etc.

You could also add about New Right thinkers getting up in arms because less younger people are being born and there's more older people. Therefore the nuclear family is being undermined and replaced by an extended family.

Mention statistics to fill out your answers more and just wrap it up in a conclusion! Hope this helps x
Original post by Louise12307
Well perhaps start out in the intro by talking about trends that are causing an ageing population. (Increasing life expectancy, declining IMR, declining fertility therefore fewer young people being born compared to amount of elders etc)

Paragraph 1: Then I would go for the feminist perspective. This para would mention the fact that an ageing population would mean that the children of the elders are more likely to take them in to care for them, this burden is often placed upon the woman. Etc.

Paragraph 2: Then I would contrast and argue that having grandparents at home can be a great contribution to the family (can assist with childcare, emotional and financial costs)

Paragraph 3: My next para would be about the effects on the dependency ratio. This is due to more money needing to be spent and poured into the ageing population (goods and services) which will come out of the working class' pocket. You could argue from a Marxist perspective here as a burden would be placed on the working population.

Paragraph 4: I would reiterate about public services but explain that because more money would be thrown into things like the NHS for the elderly, some may argue that this is a waste because, well, they're old and money could be spent elsewhere. Feminists may argue that more money should be spent on centres and facilities for women suffering from domestic abuse or rape etc.

You could also add about New Right thinkers getting up in arms because less younger people are being born and there's more older people. Therefore the nuclear family is being undermined and replaced by an extended family.

Mention statistics to fill out your answers more and just wrap it up in a conclusion! Hope this helps x

Thats really helpful but what would you use to evaluate and critise these? like in education the question was on external factors so you would counter that with internal factors?x
Thats really helpful but what would you use to evaluate and critise these? like in education the question was on external factors so you would counter that with internal factors?x

I mean, I don't think that there are "internal and external factors" to apply to the family in the same way as it happens in education - I think you evaluate by proposing two sides and using analysis. Like for example, the first paragraph was supporting the statement that an ageing population can harm society but then the next one was arguing the other side. Use statistics such as "in an RIAS study (2012), it was discovered that Grandparenting was responsible for saving nearly 11 billion pounds on childcare costs over a year".

You could use a post modernist perspective because they're all about family diversity and sociology of the personal life perspectives if you wanted more to contrast with the other side of the argument.
I mean, I don't think that there are "internal and external factors" to apply to the family in the same way as it happens in education - I think you evaluate by proposing two sides and using analysis. Like for example, the first paragraph was supporting the statement that an ageing population can harm society but then the next one was arguing the other side. Use statistics such as "in an RIAS study (2012), it was discovered that Grandparenting was responsible for saving nearly 11 billion pounds on childcare costs over a year".

You could use a post modernist perspective because they're all about family diversity and sociology of the personal life perspectives if you wanted more to contrast with the other side of the argument.

Yeah it was just an example! Thanks thats really helpful:smile: Do you have any predictions?
Yeah it was just an example! Thanks thats really helpful:smile: Do you have any predictions?

Ohhhh okay! ☺️ And honestly no, I have this fear that if I rolled with the predictions then it would end so badly! I think my teacher is probably keen on demography and sociology of the personal life - I definitely heard her mention the latter.... Personally, I'm praying for childhood to come up but apparently it came up last year!I feel like, because the paper for education wasn't horrendous (I mean except the 10 marker what a joke lmao), I have a fear that they will go mental with the family paper. I really hope they will be nice to us lol I don't know how much information I can absorb!!
Ohhhh okay! ☺️ And honestly no, I have this fear that if I rolled with the predictions then it would end so badly! I think my teacher is probably keen on demography and sociology of the personal life - I definitely heard her mention the latter.... Personally, I'm praying for childhood to come up but apparently it came up last year!I feel like, because the paper for education wasn't horrendous (I mean except the 10 marker what a joke lmao), I have a fear that they will go mental with the family paper. I really hope they will be nice to us lol I don't know how much information I can absorb!!

Is the sociology of personal life wth couples ?? Like the meanings attached to who controls money etc

My teacher also predicts demography and they were spot on with the education ones even the method for methods in context was one my teacher kept telling us to focus on
Yeah i do think the paper wont be a nice one because the ed one was so good
How tf are you supposed to write enough on personal life its so tiny in the textbook
Original post by Rachypoox
How tf are you supposed to write enough on personal life its so tiny in the textbook

It'll just be a small question if its on or you might have to mention it in the essy
Reply 738
Education old spec on tuesday. What's making it overwhelming is having to know all the research methods aswell as the whole edu section :frown: and nope I'm not a retake student
Reply 739
Original post by starshine909
Guys how do u structure the 20 markers in unit 2? Alll of the three 20 markers, I'm so confused!!!! :frown: (old spec!)

I'm terrified that I might run out of time by the time I reach the last question :frown: wish there was some predictions of what might come up. any idea?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending