The Student Room Group

AQA AS Product Design 2016 Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

tips for how to get full marks on manufacturing processes like rotational moulding, injection, etc. You think it might be different? It usually comes up in section C, the highest I got was 6/8 marks .-.
Original post by lmg1
Should I be learning properties of smart and modern materials because these don't really come up for properties questions?

They might come up in section A
Am I missing anything from this list of manufacturing processes?
Plastic:
Injection Moulding
Rotational Moulding
Vacuum forming
Blow moulding
Extrusion
Compression moulding

Metal:
Press forming
Extruding
sand casting
Deep drawing
Die casting
Original post by Fruitbasket786
tips for how to get full marks on manufacturing processes like rotational moulding, injection, etc. You think it might be different? It usually comes up in section C, the highest I got was 6/8 marks .-.

Things that limit marks that people tend to forget in the processes question are:
-Removing flashes and sprues at the end
-The hydraulic ram (if it is injection moulding)
-And make sure you draw the mould/die/whatever in the shape of the given product, otherwise you can never get 8 :nah:

hope that helped in some way :colondollar: oh and notes and diagrams otherwise only 4 marks max (which im sure you know) :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by Music With Rocks
Join the crew :frown: I don't think any of us were taught any exam content...

I think we were all either not taught theory or taught it incredibly badly (in my case)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Original post by jesuslawd
I've just made a TSR account because I am remarkably screwed for tomorrow. Put yourself in the shoes of someone who has done next to no product revision and wasn't taught it in class. I have roughly 12 hours now so how do you think i should spend that time. Thanks

Look at last years past paper and do not focus on anything that comes up there because the likelihood of it being on tomorrow's is very small unless they do what they did with composites recently and put it on two years back to back

Posted from TSR Mobile
i literally did 3 past papers in a row and i think there is a very high chance of a wood/metal section c
:colonhash:
The revision cram the day before is always the worst.
Can anyone give me some really basic information on modern materials pleaaaase?
Original post by k.m.b
i literally did 3 past papers in a row and i think there is a very high chance of a wood/metal section c
:colonhash:

Do you think that because all of the section C stuff have been all thermoplastics?
Do you think that because all of the section C stuff have been all thermoplastics?

yeah pretty much
in 2010 section c was a metal/polymer
in the jan11 paper it was a polymer and packaging
in 2012 series section c was a polymer
in the jan 13 section c was woods and fabrication
in the 14 series it was a polymer and the same for 15 series

so either a wood or metal, anything could come up so best to revise everything :redface:
Original post by k.m.b
yeah pretty much

so either a wood or metal, anything could come up so best to revise everything :redface:

That's true, I remember I think it was June 2013 section C was based on metals, specifically on the manufacture of sink. Maybe it will be woods, but who knows, could also be packaging too!
Original post by k.m.b
yeah pretty much

If it suggest anything which is made out of metal my answer will always be ALUMINIUM. I don't know anything about metals and metal processes. I know how to join them, I know some forming processes but when It comes to write stuff about them I am stuffed! How do you think you will do it a metal based question comes up in section C?
Original post by lozengerrrr
That's true, I remember I think it was June 2013 section C was based on metals, specifically on the manufacture of sink. Maybe it will be woods, but who knows, could also be packaging too!

It's a shame the topics that i really don't want to come up probably will. I would happily write about packaging! And section c is so heavily weighted in the paper
If it suggest anything which is made out of metal my answer will always be ALUMINIUM. I don't know anything about metals and metal processes. I know how to join them, I know some forming processes but when It comes to write stuff about them I am stuffed! How do you think you will do it a metal based question comes up in section C?

Yep. Aluminium is the go-to but i think i would choose stainless steel if the product didnt focus on density.
I know its really late but you could check out technologystudent,he writes a lot of notes for pd
Honestly i don't know. I've only done one section c on a metal and it was a coffee cup,it wasn't too bad but my weaknesses are explaining metal processes, fine with diagrams and modifications though
Reply 75
Has anyone done January 2013?
Question 6(b) about the concrete bench, I am unsure how to get all 8 marks as the mark scheme is also quite vague.
how much of natural woods should i revise?

so far i know hard wood and soft woods.
Reply 77
Original post by Rubeng
Has anyone done January 2013?
Question 6(b) about the concrete bench, I am unsure how to get all 8 marks as the mark scheme is also quite vague.

What have you talked about so far? looking at the mark scheme I think all of the points and drawings w/ annotations would be fine(?), but it seems harsh with only 5 points
Original post by k.m.b
Yep. Aluminium is the go-to but i think i would choose stainless steel if the product didnt focus on density.
I know its really late but you could check out technologystudent,he writes a lot of notes for pd
Honestly i don't know. I've only done one section c on a metal and it was a coffee cup,it wasn't too bad but my weaknesses are explaining metal processes, fine with diagrams and modifications though

So far I've done annealing, pressforming, sandcasting, embossing,cupping and deep drawing and drop forging and I don't know if these process would be useful if asked for how the material is shaped into the chair or sutin X_x
Reply 79
Original post by Jakewww
What have you talked about so far? looking at the mark scheme I think all of the points and drawings w/ annotations would be fine(?), but it seems harsh with only 5 points

Yeah I got the points, but usually the mark scheme has copy of the diagram. I didn't get the diagram. What should it be?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending