The Student Room Group

Is there any point revising for GCSE English Lit 2morrow? If so, how?

Scroll to see replies

Go through the texts and look at practise papers to see which parts haven't come up yet and then plan what you would write for the big moments which haven't been featured on a past paper yet (e.g. for OMAM, Curley's Wife's death, opening scene, Lennie and Curley fight etc...)
Reply 61
im so confused, why do we have to use language features?? isnt it a lit paper??? isnt it basically the same as language then?? ughhhhh :/ im gonna flop

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Original post by ksj.11
im so confused, why do we have to use language features?? isnt it a lit paper??? isnt it basically the same as language then?? ughhhhh :/ im gonna flop

Posted from TSR Mobile

Screenshot_2016-05-22-15-33-33.png

You need to analyse the writer's methods in all aspects of literature - exploring modern texts and poetry!
I don't get it?? for example:
1) If the question is something like "How does Priestley present Mr Birling?" and I can't think of any points, can I just mention a technique and say that "Priestley presents Mr Birling using juxtaposition"?
2) If the AIC question is talking about a certain theme such as social class, and I use the quote by Mrs Birling who talks about "girls of that class", can I also link it to other themes in the play such as gender? Or should all my interpretations be based around the theme mentioned in the question?Thanks for your time!!
Reply 64
I've got the same exam tomorrow (OMAM and AIC) and tonight I'm just gonna do flashcards for each character and the main themes, with some quotations on them. If I get time I'm hoping to do some past questions because I really struggle with the timing but tbh I probably won't :P
Original post by Want_To_Achieve
I want an A in the English Lit exam as I am not taking it next year and I need to know how to get it if it means I have to revise for it.

Exam board is AQA.

Basically.. Stroll into the exam hall. Sit down. Write bull. Get A*. Done.
Reply 66
Original post by examstress7
I don't get it?? for example:
1) If the question is something like "How does Priestley present Mr Birling?" and I can't think of any points, can I just mention a technique and say that "Priestley presents Mr Birling using juxtaposition"?
2) If the AIC question is talking about a certain theme such as social class, and I use the quote by Mrs Birling who talks about "girls of that class", can I also link it to other themes in the play such as gender? Or should all my interpretations be based around the theme mentioned in the question?Thanks for your time!!

The word how means they want you to discuss methods but your priority is to answer the question so you start with a theme. For example if you want to discuss juxtaposition you'd start with what that says about his character - Priestley presents Mr Birling as an inconsistent character who is made up of contrasts.

Yes link to other themes but always stick to the question :smile:
Reply 67
Original post by dRaGoN2509
Basically.. Stroll into the exam hall. Sit down. Write bull. Get A*. Done.

This is 100% accurate assuming you're half decent at english.
Reply 68
Original post by ASSISTER
Point
Evidence
Explanation
Effect
Language
Alternative interpretation (A*)
Context (in Of Mice and Men)
This is how I've been taught to layout my answers.

Would the alternative interpretation be: "however it could also suggest..."
Original post by JustJen
Exactly - your teacher is spot on! It's a very big ask really. Just remember, talking in detail doesn't mean you need to babble. Avoid generalisations and make sure every sentence adds marks :smile: For example rather than saying that the alliteration helps the reader remember the character or something vague, be specific about the effect - the repeated "s" sound is harsh which reveals... Concise and to the point!

Are your students also doing an inspector calls?
Is it possible to still do good if i revise 5 quotes for each character. Practise soem themes and character questions, and also do some extract questions? (i have made notes for OMAM but only leanrt two characters)

I wantt an A

Any predictions for WJEC??

Yh you can still get an A. Just make sure you learn quotes for each character. Just make sure you know the plot of the book, no point wasting an hour trying to read it again. just look at past paper questions and try and go thorugh what people predict will come in the exam tmrw, look at essays too.

GOOD LUCK
Original post by JustJen
You should absolutely be revising for your exam! I am an English teacher and therefore completely biased, but while the exam is subjective they are very mathematical and picky about where you pick up your marks.

For Section A you must know characters, themes and key ideas and must be able to support any response using well-chosen quotations. For any higher grade you must also be able to discuss the effect of specific words or phrases. The higher up the mark scheme you go the more carefully selected these words become. You are also expected to analyse techniques of language, structure and form. For example you would analyse stage directions if quoting from a play!

For Section B you must do the same again, but this time you are working around an extract. Part a) will want you to closely analyse details, aka analyse key words and techniques. Part b) allows you to show off your knowledge of the whole text and to explore context, i.e. racism or the Great Depression in Of Mice and Men.

My advice would be to make sure you know your language techniques and are ready to explain how and why they are effective (beyond "this simile puts an image in the reader's head" - we hate this!) and that you are clued up on any contextual factors for Section B.

Good luck with revision :smile:

Hi

Any advice for the foundation tier exam? :smile:

Thank you so much.
Reply 72
Original post by JustJen
Both will work. What I would not recommend is using just one quotation and working your way through lots of interpretations for the whole essay. It's easy to get lost that way and it would not show off your knowledge of the whole text - remember, this is your one chance to do so!

I teach my students to PEDAL - Point, Evidence, Device, Analysis, Link (to context or to next point, depending on question). For an A* the analysis should include multiple interpretations of the device or word being analysed. It should also be concise so you can move on and make as many points as you can within your time.

For example you might talk about how Crooks says he "ain't no Southern negro" and suggest that the word "negro" shows his acceptance of the racism he faces to the extent that he refers to himself using derogatory racial terms. However, his assertion that he isn't "Southern" allows him to differentiate himself from the ex-slaves in the South and reveals that he might well be as racist as the rest of the men on the ranch as he is keen to distance himself from the slave trade and remind others that he has been born free and should be treated better.

This analyses a key word, has two interpretations and brings in the context of OMAM :smile:

Is there a certain layout that i should follow for the OMAM question and how many points should I make for each part??
Original post by JustJen
The word how means they want you to discuss methods but your priority is to answer the question so you start with a theme. For example if you want to discuss juxtaposition you'd start with what that says about his character - Priestley presents Mr Birling as an inconsistent character who is made up of contrasts.

Yes link to other themes but always stick to the question :smile:

THANK YOU!!!!! get it now :smile:
Reply 74
Original post by _Xenon_
Hi

Any advice for the foundation tier exam? :smile:

Thank you so much.

Foundation is very much the same, you just get given a few more ideas and tips before you answer :smile: you'll still need to make clear points in response to the question, use evidence to support them and analyse language, form or structure. The only difference is that the mark scheme requires less from you at foundation - the top band wants you to be thoughtful and considered rather than perceptive and Insightful... Exam talk! Just be structured and logical in your response and you'll be fine!
Reply 75
Original post by Pranavee
Is there a certain layout that i should follow for the OMAM question and how many points should I make for each part??

In part a you stick closely to the extract - try to pick out at least 3 features/quotations to discuss :smile:

For part b you need to talk a lot more about context and a range of ideas. Again, I'd try to make a range of points and at this point bring in your buzzwords about the American Dream, the Great Depression etc while referring to novel as a whole.
Reply 76
In the exam just make a point, use a quotation and then just explain the effect that the quote has on the reader or audience, don't just say what happens
watch some videos on youtube and type in A* gcse a level 'book/poem', worked for me lol
1. Point (Steinback uses _ _ _ _ _ to interpret the theme of _ _ _ _ _)
2. Example (For example, " _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ "
3. Analyse specific word (The word ' _ _ _ _ ' suggests that _ _ _ _ _)
4. Opposite/Similars (This is different/similar how _ _ _ _ says " _ _ _ _ _ "
5. The writer's message (Steinbeck may be trying to emphasise _ _ _ _ _ _)
6. Effect on reader (This makes the reader feel _ _ _ _ _ _ _ )
Original post by JustJen
Foundation is very much the same, you just get given a few more ideas and tips before you answer :smile: you'll still need to make clear points in response to the question, use evidence to support them and analyse language, form or structure. The only difference is that the mark scheme requires less from you at foundation - the top band wants you to be thoughtful and considered rather than perceptive and Insightful... Exam talk! Just be structured and logical in your response and you'll be fine!

Thank you! My school has been focusing on English Language this year and we've had very little to virtually no preparation for the English Literature exam. I have no idea how to approach the exam as we've had no practice either nor done an English Literature mock exam. I'm worried I may fail to achieve a grade C. Please can you advise a structure I could follow when answering the questions in the exam like one similar to P.E.E to ensure a grade C is achieved.

I'd also like to ask, for the Literature exam, is it true that no marks awarded for context in section A? This is for the AQA exam board.

Many thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest