The Student Room Group

WJEC Language 2016 official prediction thread

Scroll to see replies

Surely it cannot be Curley's wife that appears, the controlled assessment was about her...
Original post by TracyEmu
Try revising the character of slim and you'll be fine.

How could it be slim? he hardly features, unless its the extract question
I think that Lennie is a likely character to come up in some way. The questions have been more focused on Social Historical background of 1930s America, and Lennie hasn't come up in an essay since June 2012. I feel Slim is unlikely because he doesn't highlight many of the themes shown through out the book, and is very hard to justify to why he supports/or already has such things.
Reply 103
Original post by TracyEmu
Try revising the character of slim and you'll be fine.

Im gonna write a practice Slim essay now
i think i may have to agree with your predicted ones becasue for the language it was something with informal letter so i guessif the theme of friendship appears, it will be a dream come true.
what about the 20 min extract any idea where it is from?
Reply 105
If Lennie was to come up, what points could we make about him?
Original post by Amulya
If Lennie was to come up, what points could we make about him?

I'd focus on the treatment of him due to his disability, his exclusion from going to 'old Susy's' ex.
His friendship and how he is reliant to it, and how that keeps him going as otherwise he won't be able to cope.
And also the dream that he has to live off the 'fatta the land'
Reply 107
Original post by LewisJones28
I think that Lennie is a likely character to come up in some way. The questions have been more focused on Social Historical background of 1930s America, and Lennie hasn't come up in an essay since June 2012. I feel Slim is unlikely because he doesn't highlight many of the themes shown through out the book, and is very hard to justify to why he supports/or already has such things.

I really do believe Slim could come up he shows us lots about society. He shows us loneliness, he shows what the ideal migrant worker would be like, he shows us how the disabled and women should be treated in contrast to the way the others behave.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MBK14
I really do believe Slim could come up he shows us lots about society. He shows us loneliness, he shows what the ideal migrant worker would be like, he shows us how the disabled and women should be treated in contrast to the way the others behave.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just feeel that a character like Lennie, as he suffers from discrimination from others is a more likely choice, but i'll be revising both either way
Original post by MBK14

Posted from TSR Mobile

George and Lennie friendship question maybe? Not appeared in ages...
Reply 110
Original post by NoodleGCSEFOOD
George and Lennie friendship question maybe? Not appeared in ages...

I thought the same. Wouldn't be a bad question to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is a dreams essay likely? Or animal imagery / symbolism? Everyone is talking about characters but what about themes?
13245919_1045859872173123_1338369050_n.jpg

List of latest questions....
Reply 113
Every essay question from now on is linked to society at the time except the novel in Unit 2 so

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quotations and points about slim? I'm really stuck!
I am really struggling to find some in-depth, A* analysis points about George. Any help?
carlson is likely to come up i think....
Original post by moss6
carlson is likely to come up i think....

what points could you make about carlson though?
joking...
Reply 119
Original post by penguinstudies
Quotations and points about slim? I'm really stuck!

He's described as having "God-like eyes" - this could suggest that he's a character with excellent moral conduct.

He has natural authority.

He believes that all people should be treated fairly no matter where they are in society.

He's the "jerkline skinner" - he's someone that's looked up to by many people. This could also suggest that he's achieved his dream as he has a positive identity and has achieved prosperity.\

"...he moved with a majesty only achieved by royalty and master" - Movements are royal. He's also referred to as the "prince of the ranch" - well respected and has a lot of importance.

I know they're only a few points but I hope they help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending