The Student Room Group

My hair is really damaged and dry

What can I do? I stopped using heat and I've been moisturising it, using leave-in conditioner and washing my hair less.

Nothing is helping. What else can I do?
Cut it short and stop using unnatural products in it. Good ol coconut and castor oil once every few weeks will make it better.
Reply 2
Use some oil.

Any oil will work.

Or just go for a long run. When you sweat....your scalp will become greasier.

You can even just try random things. Like ketchup, soy sauce, mayyonaise. joking. I know that it probably may not work. But the above posters have pretty much stolen my words. So ketchup. Beautiful flowing locks of hair in no time.
Reply 3
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
Cut it short and stop using unnatural products in it. Good ol coconut and castor oil once every few weeks will make it better.

I did cut it but then I still got split ends. I've recently been trying coconut oil, I hope it'll work.
Reply 4
Original post by abc_123_
My hair dresser said that conditioner is actually really bad for your hair. Also whatever you do don't put conditioner in your hair for longer than what it says (e.g. don't coat your head in conditioner and leave it for an hour unless it's a hair mask). You can get some really good hair masks for your hair which help to prevent the dryness. Also make sure you don't use tangle teasers because they break your hair. When tying your hair up you should use them scrunchie things instead of hairbands as they're less damaging to your hair.

Also, it is good to put avocado or coconut oil in your hair (you can buy it from a supermarket) or you can make your own egg masks.
Don't use a fatty oil like sunflower oil as they can just make your hair greasy without giving it nutrients. If you have a dry scalp (like dandruff) rub yogurt into your head.

This sounds weird but it works trust me xx
Hope everything goes well :smile:

wow thank you for the information. I've been getting so much split ends, do you think it's because of the hairbands.

Would you recommend any special hair mask? Or doesn't it matter which one I use. I want to try the keratin mask by tresseme hopefully that will work.

Also, my hair feels really ruff and really brittle, I don't why? Do you have any advice for that?

Thank you btw. :wink:
Reply 5
Any hair mask should work but I would definitely change your hairbands and don't brush your hair too harshly especially when it's wet xx :smile: Np xx
For brittle hair you are probably brushing your hair with too much force and causing it to break. Try having more milk as I think it's good for your hair (and also nails). You can take supplements for hair as well (a brand called Environ that I use sell really good ones although they're quite pricey) xx

Do you think the supplements really worked? Would you mind telling me where you got it from?
Reply 6
Really? That's really interesting. I guess that's why whatever shampoo I use, my hair still doesn't get better.
Just went on the website and the reviews look really good. A little expensive but I'll try it.

I hope it will work. Do you only use that and no other masks. Should I use anything after washing it, like leave-in moisturiser or is that still not good?

Thanks for the info btw!! :wink:

Ohh just looked at the website again and it's out of stock!! Ergh!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mona-S
Do you think the supplements really worked? Would you mind telling me where you got it from?

I got them from a beautician that is local to me but you can order them online they have their own website (they mostly do skincare but also hair care) http://www.environskincare.com they're the hair and nail tablets I honestly think they work and it's all natural!! They also sell them in boutiques up in London (i'm not sure if you live near London tho) xx

You can't order from their website but they will tell you where they stock their product. They have their own hair revival mask which is good and a hair tonic xx
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
I got them from a beautician that is local to me but you can order them online they have their own website (they mostly do skincare but also hair care) http://www.environskincare.com they're the hair and nail tablets I honestly think they work and it's all natural!! They also sell them in boutiques up in London (i'm not sure if you live near London tho) xx

You can't order from their website but they will tell you where they stock their product. They have their own hair revival mask which is good and a hair tonic xx

Ohh that's good. They also have really nice creams and cleansers. I don't live near London, but hopefully I'll get it when I go there or find another place they do it in.

Thanks for the suggestion. :biggrin:
Reply 9
Aww thank you!! This really helped. I'll try to look for organic shampoos. I'm going for a hair cut and I'll start using organic shampoos and coconut masks.

And her hair looks amazing!!
Original post by Mona-S
Ohh that's good. They also have really nice creams and cleansers. I don't live near London, but hopefully I'll get it when I go there or find another place they do it in.

Thanks for the suggestion. :biggrin:

Np xx I absolutely love their products hope you do xx
Reply 11
Np xx I absolutely love their products hope you do xx

Aww bless you guys!! Thanks for helping me out!! Hopefully this will work!! :h:

:hugs:
This reminds me about chemistry, the test for sulfate ions which to this day i still don't know, something to do with a white precipitate forming or something
Ah i see thanks i've become 1 fact smarter than yesterday
My old hairdresser burnt my hair with straighteners, gave me loads of split ends and frizziness. I had a treatment called olaplex and it really helped. I think you can get it done at most hair salons.
The best thing to do is to cut as much off as you feel comfortable with. At the very least, an inch would help a lot. Any more than that would be a big bonus though. Keep using deep conditioners and don't wash your hair too often. Wash your hair once or twice a week if you can and use dry shampoo in between if you have to. Coconut oil products were a life saver for me when I damaged my hair from bleaching it at the start of the year. Now my hair is in good condition again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending