The Student Room Group

GCSE english literature OCR predictions for AIC,OMAM,LOTF & POETRY ?

Any predictions? English literature is the exam I'm literally scared for
I need at least an A :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by Real_jenn
Any predictions? English literature is the exam I'm literally scared for
I need at least an A :frown:

Yes, I too need at least an A, and am very nervous :frown: I am doing AFTB, OMAM, LOTF and Simon Armitage for poetry.

I always tend to score mid A, does anyone have any tips for securing an A, or how to go from A to A*?
Reply 2
look at the weightings of each exams assessment objective, for example in of mice and men it tells you to "Relate texts to their social, cultural and historical contexts; explain how texts have been influential and significant to self and other
readers in different contexts and at different times." and to "Explain how language, structure and form contribute to writers’ presentation of ideas, themes and settings."

also try not to write anything irrelevant to the question and try to keep quotes as short as possible, try to spend more time on what gets you the marks.
Reply 3
Original post by cicelym
Yes, I too need at least an A, and am very nervous :frown: I am doing AFTB, OMAM, LOTF and Simon Armitage for poetry.

I always tend to score mid A, does anyone have any tips for securing an A, or how to go from A to A*?

look at the weightings of each exams assessment objective, for example in of mice and men it tells you to "Relate texts to their social, cultural and historical contexts; explain how texts have been influential and significant to self and other
readers in different contexts and at different times." and to "Explain how language, structure and form contribute to writers’ presentation of ideas, themes and settings."

also try not to write anything irrelevant to the question and try to keep quotes as short as possible, try to spend more time on what gets you the marks.
Reply 4
Original post by khalsa_99

Any predicted questions for AIC and OMAM? Also I always run out of time, how should i solve this?
Original post by help-
Any predicted questions for AIC and OMAM? Also I always run out of time, how should i solve this?

Take no more than 5 minutes to plan. Choose a few of the best points you want to take about and divide the remaining 40 by the number of points you're aiming for and try and spend no longer that the time you set yourself on each one. Say if you find 4 strong points you want to talk about, try and spend no longer than 10 minutes on each one. The more ideas the more marks. Even if you don't finish the 4th paragraph you'll have the other 3 and hopefully they'll be able to see where you were going.
Hope this helps!
Reply 6
Does anyone know how important writing an intro and conclusion are?
Reply 7
Original post by rosieridleyx
Take no more than 5 minutes to plan. Choose a few of the best points you want to take about and divide the remaining 40 by the number of points you're aiming for and try and spend no longer that the time you set yourself on each one. Say if you find 4 strong points you want to talk about, try and spend no longer than 10 minutes on each one. The more ideas the more marks. Even if you don't finish the 4th paragraph you'll have the other 3 and hopefully they'll be able to see where you were going.
Hope this helps!

Thank you this is really helpful. Do you think 4 strong points are enough or should i aim to write around 6 or 7?
Reply 8
Original post by cicelym
Does anyone know how important writing an intro and conclusion are?

They are quite important but considering the time that we have they aren't as important as the main part of the essay. You should try to write an intro and conclusion but it can be brief.
Reply 9
Ik that in the intro it should be brief summary of what has just happened, just to put the extract in context. After that remember to link to the historical background in OMAM at least 3-4 times. I'm not sure what to do for An Inspector Calls though, anyone know?
Reply 10
Original post by help-
Thank you this is really helpful. Do you think 4 strong points are enough or should i aim to write around 6 or 7?

4 strong points are good according to my notes from my teacher, however all exam boards try to weed out the best of the best so if you can get 5-6 strong points and 1 of those is unique or REALLY well developed, you're likely to get more marks. Also I used to have tuitions from this English tutor and he used to mark exam papers for OCR, he said that being a tiny bit philosophical and looking deeper in to symbolism of certain scenes or characters can make the answer seem more well thought out and you'll probably get 1-2 marks as well.
Any predictions for LOTF?
Reply 12
Original post by lattu27
Any predictions for LOTF?

I have that tomorrow and I think I'm going to do the extract question because the essay question requires a lot of knowledge of the book. However I don't have any predictions sorry
Reply 13
Original post by cicelym

Give a long quote and then try and go into detail on the significance of particular words. If possible give different ways which the words could be interpreted (i.e. in different connotations in different contexts).

Yeah, also ensure you relate everything back to the writer's intentions.
:smile: That's all I can think of.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending