The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Can I do it? What happens if I decide to quit half way through? [Single OU module]

Good Afternoon,

Next year I should start studying for a MA in my own country (not UK), but in the meantime my uni let me chose a single module from the OU to take while studying full time for the MA.

The module would be either Creative Writing A125 or Classical Greek A275

The question is:
do you think I can do it? How many hours per week should it take, roughly? (60 credits module)

And, what happens if I decide that I cant do it anymore, say in December? Will I lose the entire fee, will this prevent me to sign up for the OU in the future, and so on...

I already discussed this with a tutor, but I wanted a "student" opinion as well.
Thanks in advance
Original post by _Royce_
The question is:
do you think I can do it? How many hours per week should it take, roughly? (60 credits module)

Good questions. For the time, OU recommends 16-18 hours per week for studying a 60 credit module. I haven't done the course yet, but anecdotally, people tend to agree with this guideline.
And, what happens if I decide that I cant do it anymore, say in December? Will I lose the entire fee, will this prevent me to sign up for the OU in the future, and so on...

Even though you're doing this as part of a post-graduate degree, the Fee Rules for Postgraduate Study indicates that it sounds as though you'd be studying it as a stand-alone undergraduate module in their eyes, subject to their Fee Rules for Undergraduate Study. If you deferred or withdrew in December, you'd be able to get a 75% refund, and have a 25% credit to a future module with the OU. (If the future modules start within 13 months of the beginning of the deferred/withdrawn module.) The amount of the refund goes down as the module progresses, but the credit amount doesn't increase above 25%. The full details are in the above Fee Rules links and the Deferrals and Withdrawals Policy.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Quick Reply

Latest