The Student Room Group

Is there any point revising for GCSE English Lit 2morrow? If so, how?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rajive
Would the alternative interpretation be: "however it could also suggest..."

yup pretty much
Original post by cdaniels2011
1. Point (Steinback uses _ _ _ _ _ to interpret the theme of _ _ _ _ _)
2. Example (For example, " _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ "
3. Analyse specific word (The word ' _ _ _ _ ' suggests that _ _ _ _ _)
4. Opposite/Similars (This is different/similar how _ _ _ _ says " _ _ _ _ _ "
5. The writer's message (Steinbeck may be trying to emphasise _ _ _ _ _ _)
6. Effect on reader (This makes the reader feel _ _ _ _ _ _ _ )

Thank you. Does this also apply to the foundation tier?
Can this structure also be used for An Inspector Calls?

Many thanks :smile:
Original post by _Xenon_
Thank you. Does this also apply to the foundation tier?
Can this structure also be used for An Inspector Calls?

Many thanks :smile:

100%. If you use that structure for the foundation tier, you will be reaching top band, and yes, it can be used for an inspector calls as well as any other texts.
Just remember, for an Inspector Calls, refer to the writer as PRIESTLY and not STEINBECK.. strangely enough, people make this mistake, haha.

Hope I've helped xx
Original post by cdaniels2011
100%. If you use that structure for the foundation tier, you will be reaching top band, and yes, it can be used for an inspector calls as well as any other texts.
Just remember, for an Inspector Calls, refer to the writer as PRIESTLY and not STEINBECK.. strangely enough, people make this mistake, haha.

Hope I've helped xx

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!! :smile:
Original post by Want_To_Achieve
I want an A in the English Lit exam as I am not taking it next year and I need to know how to get it if it means I have to revise for it.

Exam board is AQA.

I'm currently in this same position. I have to do Of mice and men and an inspector calls u???
Reply 85
Original post by JustJen
In part a you stick closely to the extract - try to pick out at least 3 features/quotations to discuss :smile:

For part b you need to talk a lot more about context and a range of ideas. Again, I'd try to make a range of points and at this point bring in your buzzwords about the American Dream, the Great Depression etc while referring to novel as a whole.

Thankyouu and do the points I make have to be with a language feature or can it be about the novel itself?
Reply 86
Original post by _Xenon_
Thank you! My school has been focusing on English Language this year and we've had very little to virtually no preparation for the English Literature exam. I have no idea how to approach the exam as we've had no practice either nor done an English Literature mock exam. I'm worried I may fail to achieve a grade C. Please can you advise a structure I could follow when answering the questions in the exam like one similar to P.E.E to ensure a grade C is achieved.

I'd also like to ask, for the Literature exam, is it true that no marks awarded for context in section A? This is for the AQA exam board.

Many thanks.

Unfortunately, a lot of schools do this - it's all about politics!

It's true that there are no awarded marks for context in An Inspector Calls, but that's not to say that it isn't helpful. For example knowing the dramatic irony that two wars happen after Mr Birling says there will be no war, the titanic sinks after he claims it is unsinkable. Those are counted as interpretations :smile: you will not get marks for listing facts!

I teach my students to use PEDAL for both higher and foundation.
Point - In An Inspector Calls Arthur Birling is presented as....
Evidence - 'nobody wants war'
Device - Priestley uses dramatic irony here...
Analysis - reveal how arrogant Mr Birling is..
This is effective because...
The word "..." allows the audience to understand...
Priestley wants the audience to think...
Link back to question - Mr Birling could therefore be seen as...
Reply 87
Original post by Pranavee
Thankyouu and do the points I make have to be with a language feature or can it be about the novel itself?

A bit of both - see my previous posts in this thread :smile:
I suggest learning the Themes and Charaters. In addition try to remember a few quotes for each theme/character or the quotes pages as you waste time looking for the quotes in the exam.
Don't panic. Have a Good Idea of the text and literally explore.
For the Higher Marks DO NOT state the obvious.

I shall give you an example to help since I'm in a good mood <3

For the Literature Exam I shall be doing GCSE Anthology "Sunlight on the Grass".
During the My Mock exam, I started talking about when the wasps drowned since I had to compare it to another story.

This was the line I was analyzing:

"Sleep now my love,shhh." I wanted Mum's gentle shush in my own ear. When I closed my eyes I could see Therese's dream, the arm growing up through the soil.

Here's my analysis:

Clare wigfall (the author) shows the reader in these 2 lines how bad the relationship is between Eveline (the girl) and her mother. When Therese had a bad dream and told her mother, Eveline informs the reader that "I
wanted Mum's gentle shush in my own ear".
This shows the reader that the Mum longs for the mum to be caring towards her, but due to the fact we are told she "wanted Mum's gentle shush", creates the impression and highlights how bad the relationship is between them because she does not get it. Clare wigfall does this because she wants the reader to feel sympathetic towards the girl.

(This alone would carry a fair amount of marks, but for higher marks MAKE SURE YOU EXPLORE ALTERNATIVES). Lemme show you what I mean.

When the girl closed her eyes, We are told "I could see Therese's dream....the arm growing up through the soil". The girl had been scarred by the events that she had witnessed today when she dug up the body: it seems to have had an effect on her, hence it appears in her dreams. On the other hand, The body was dead and arms can not grow, since the arm can not grow this could symbolize Eveline's relationship with her mom. In addition to this, As the arm "grows" it moves away from it's origin "the soil", I interpreted this an linked it to the point of how distant the mom and girl are. The use of this metaphor creates a sense of how Eveline is feeling at this time and Wigfall may want the reader to feel sorry for Eveline.

The text in bold are where I have explored my point. There's no right or wrong answer, just make sure you have 2 or more pieces of evidence to back it up no matter how suttle it is. Make sure you always link to the themes of the Story or whatever you're doing and describe it's effect on the reader.
I'm the WORST at Literature :biggrin: (Seriously I hate it) and Just follow my tips and you'll do well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 90
I suggest answering some exam questions as practice to timings and exam skill. I usually go into a lot of detail meaning I run out of time. I've done a practice question for an inspector calls and I'm about to do one for OMAM. I've revised themes and symbols. I think they are important for AIC because one question is always on theme/attitude and other is character. For OMAM, it's important to know language features- I think- and then applying context to part B. Therefore, I have looked at the context for both and identifying language is something I will have to do independently in the exam. I won't know exactly what the passage is so I can't learn why language is used for every single word in the novel!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JustJen

It's true that there are no awarded marks for context in An Inspector Calls, but that's not to say that it isn't helpful. For example knowing the dramatic irony that two wars happen after Mr Birling says there will be no war, the titanic sinks after he claims it is unsinkable. Those are counted as interpretations :smile: you will not get marks for listing facts!

Thank you. I really appreciate it! :smile:
Reply 92
i got A in english lit and i slept all year, i'm not overly smart, just average. In year 13 now and it's a different story with english literature lmao :colondollar:
Just remember quotes and know how much you should write as well as how to pan out the answer.

Point, Evidence Explanation. etc.
umm yes like for the poems go over them again and try to annotate them again, try and figure the general context of them and link the poems, so like my topic for poems for relation ships ( i also did aqa). i did some essays so linking manhunt and nettles, so show how the writer expressed his/her fellings. in most of the questions they chose one poem for you and you have to chose the other one. also for the books you are doing example mice and men, try to have a basic idea of what happens in each chapter and what pages the basic quotes are on so where in the book does it talk about curley or lenny the most, so this will save you time in your real exam. the more practice questions you do the better and do them un timed conditions.

i hope that makes sense, i do tend to waffle a lot but yeah, good luck!

( i really miss gcse english!!!!)
For the OMAM question how much of the 45 mins should i spend on part A and part B?
how many paragraphs do you recommend to write fro each section?
Reply 97
Original post by JustJen

how many pedal points should you make in a 45 minute exam?
Reply 98
I would suggest that for section A you'll write a short intro, 4/5 main PEDAL paragraphs and a short conclusion. That allows for a variety of points :smile:

For section B I'd aim for 3 paragraphs for part a) and 3 for part b)... It obviously depends on how efficient you are and how much detail you're going into!

Just remember they want a variety of ideas so don't be tempted to do one long paragraph about one point and think it's enough as you need to show off your knowledge of the whole text!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 99
Original post by 10studentlife
It is horrid at A-Level just saying

Oh good lord, I'm SO screwed for a-level. On a scale of 1-10, how hard are we talking?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending