The Student Room Group

If money isn't the most important thing, then what is?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Kallisto
I stick to it: money is useless without health, especially I am lying in my deathbed without being able to move a body part. Have seen some people in this condition because of cancer. I am sure they would give me a ****ing **** to money. Those people are struggling and suffering, with and without money. Healthy people have the chance to change their life at least, people who are deathly ill have this not.

Money is the only thing that can help you in that case. You'd want to die in a good setting with excellent care would you not? Tell me how you'd imagine this scenario with zero money?

In answer to which is more important, health or money:

Is it better to live a long and healthy but destitute life with constant struggle and suffering or to live a short life in happiness despite being very ill towards a premature death?

I think I would prefer the second option
Original post by xylas
Money is the only thing that can help you in that case. You'd want to die in a good setting with excellent care would you not? Tell me how you'd imagine this scenario with zero money?
(...)

You are repeating yourself. If I would ever get cancer, I would spend the rest of my days in the wild, lying under a tree. And if the pains are too bad, I shot myself into my heart with a pistol (if I have the power to do that). If I am going to die, I would try to get rid the shitty humans of. I decided to die alone, basta. Dying is pathetic, excellent care overrestimated.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 102
You are repeating yourself. If I would ever get cancer, I would spend the rest of my days in the wild, lying under a tree. And if the pains are too bad, I shot myself into my heart with a pistol (if I have the power to do that). If I am going to die, I would try to get rid the shitty humans of. I decided to die alone, basta. Dying is pathetic, excellent care overrestimated.

I have no reason to believe what you would do in a hypothetical scenario. I also doubt that you would have the same mentality as you do now if you did indeed become terminally ill.

I repeated myself because you have still not answered my question. I'll try for the third and final time:

Is it better to live a long and healthy but destitute life with constant struggle and suffering or to live a short life in happiness despite being very ill towards a premature death?
Original post by xylas
I have no reason to believe what you would do in a hypothetical scenario. I also doubt that you would have the same mentality as you do now if you did indeed become terminally ill.

I repeated myself because you have still not answered my question. I'll try for the third and final time:

In terms of my own, I need a miracle to change my mentality.

To answer your question: a long healthy and destitute life. That fits to my attitude and it is closer to my life story.
Happiness. I think everything we do contributes towards our happiness, be it money, friends or food :smile:
Original post by xylas
Interested to know your views. If you think something is more important, please explain how this can be achieved without money and whether or not money helps to achieve it.

Happiness, being content, satisfied, joy. I'd be wonderfully happy if I was living somewhere small and humble in the countryside with someone I loved very much. I'd probably write and paint and read. I'd be more than happy with such a life, but it is very subjective.
Original post by xylas
Interested to know your views. If you think something is more important, please explain how this can be achieved without money and whether or not money helps to achieve it.

Family? Friendship? Happiness? Success in your career? The most important thing in life is whatever you want it to be. Some things (luxuries) require a lot of money, most things (nice house, travel, etc) require some money. Some things don't really require money at all.
Reply 107
In terms of my own, I need a miracle to change my mentality.

To answer your question: a long healthy and destitute life. That fits to my attitude and it is closer to my life story.

Well a miracle is obviously a big deal, but so is cancer...

Interesting, so I guess you are more quantity of life than quality of life. Unless you think you can have a good quality of life while being destitute?

Original post by PolarisVega
Happiness, being content, satisfied, joy. I'd be wonderfully happy if I was living somewhere small and humble in the countryside with someone I loved very much. I'd probably write and paint and read. I'd be more than happy with such a life, but it is very subjective.

Yeah, it costs a lot of money to live in the countryside. How are you going to buy equipment and books with no money? I'm sure a lot of people would be happy with that kind of life :smile:

Original post by Copperknickers
Family? Friendship? Happiness? Success in your career? The most important thing in life is whatever you want it to be. Some things (luxuries) require a lot of money, most things (nice house, travel, etc) require some money. Some things don't really require money at all.

Well that's a very arbitrary point of view. Tell me what doesn't require money at all? What is a career if it does not involve money?

Which would you prefer: having family or friendship with zero money, or money but no family or friendship?
Original post by xylas
x

Okay, if money makes it possible to come to god-like power to destroy the mankind - or to get my died beloved brother back - I would appreciate the meaning of money. From this point of view, I would be more interest in money.
Reply 109
Original post by xylas

I guess the ultimate goal of money is to make you happy, this would put happiness over money.

Despite the statement above I'm not a pu.ssy bi.tch and I love money.
Reply 110
Okay, if money makes it possible to come to god-like power to destroy the mankind - or to get my died beloved brother back - I would appreciate the meaning of money. From this point of view, I would be more interest in money.

?

What I asked was do you think you can have a good quality of life while being destitute?

Original post by tammio
I guess the ultimate goal of money is to make you happy, this would put happiness over money.

I agree, money is only important because it enables you to be happy. Unfortunately you can't be happy without money so money is more important in my opinion.
Original post by xylas
x

Have just thought some steps further. You are trying to convince me that money is the most important thing to get happiness. Happiness died in me when I have lost everything what I liked. There is no sum of money which is able to heal my wounds from the past. Did you get it? I am afraid, you can't.

Living in the wild without humans is the best quality of life which I can imagine for myself.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 112
Have just thought some steps further. You are trying to convince me that money is the most important thing to get happiness. Happiness died in me when I have lost everything what I liked. There is no sum of money which is able to heal my wounds from the past. Did you get it? I am afraid, you can't.

Living in the wild without humans is the best quality of life which I can imagine for myself.

? I'm not trying to convince anyone. I just asked you a question, but I realise you don't want to answer so I will stop now.

If you don't like anything then of course you won't need money. But you say you would want to live in the wild, and I'm afraid that will cost money. Or do you think that there is some magical land that no-one owns where you can survive for free!
Original post by xylas
(...)
If you don't like anything then of course you won't need money. But you say you would want to live in the wild, and I'm afraid that will cost money. Or do you think that there is some magical land that no-one owns where you can survive for free!

Let's go the whole hog. When I have decided to live in the wild, I would live like a survivor, combined with the knowledge of a stone age man. If it lasted just some days ttill the death, fine.
Original post by xylas

Well that's a very arbitrary point of view.

The only arbitrary point of view is trying to claim anything to the contrary. There is no universally agreed 'most important thing in life' therefore trying to claim there is is by necessity itself arbitrary.

Tell me what doesn't require money at all?

Family, friendship, humour, enjoying the little things. I saw people in the slums of India who were happier than some City of London bankers. Obviously even they have enough money to buy a plate of rice but still, nobody in the UK is that poor except homeless people.

Which would you prefer: having family or friendship with zero money, or money but no family or friendship?

The former, obviously, bearing in mind that as I say nobody in this country has 'zero' money unless they choose to since benefits are available. What's the point in having money if you have noone to spend it on but yourself?
Reply 115

Spoiler

I never implied there was a universally agreed view. Read the OP, I have only asked for different views since not everyone will think the same.

Exactly they have money in their society. Sure just being related to other people does not cost money, but having a family that can support you does

Friendship does require money. Money to meet your friends, do activities together etc.

Humour? Do you mean entertainment because that certainly costs money. Otherwise, what is there to laugh at if you have no money?

What are these 'little things' that require no money?

I said zero money for a reason...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by xylas
I never implied there was a universally agreed view. Read the OP, I have only asked for different views since not everyone will think the same.

Exactly they have money in their society. Sure just being related to other people does not cost money, but having a family that can support you does

Friendship does require money. Money to meet your friends, do activities together etc.

Humour? Do you mean entertainment because that certainly costs money. Otherwise, what is there to laugh at if you have no money?

Not sure where you come from, but where I live you don't need money to meet your friends and do activities, and you certainly don't need money for entertainment or humour. How about laughing at jokes? Banter? Talking about funny subjects? Why do you need money for that? Obviously having money helps, you are limited by not having money, but you are limited by not having oxygen, or your health, or any number of other things. Money is just one thing you need to sustain you, but on its own it is not enough.

I'm not saying money isn't important, but just because you need money to do things doesn't make it the MOST important thing. I'm sorry if you've had to struggle for money, but for most people, barring occasional money worries if you are between jobs or have children, money is just something that flows into your bank account. It would be nice now and again to be a millionaire but generally speaking having a half-decent job means you never really have to think about money, your efforts would be better spent concentrating on other things. Being obsessed with money is like being obsessed with fitness. If you become morbidly obese then you'll have a very low quality of life, but does that mean you have to spend every second of every day fixating on your weight? That's called anorexia. By the same token, it is unhealthy not to be at all concerned with money because you need it, but it's equally unhealthy to be overly concerned with it.
Reply 117

Spoiler

I agree that talking does not need money. But this is not an argument against money being the most important thing (unless you think talking is the most important thing which you haven't said yet).

I also agree that money isn't all you need. Your argument seems to be against the idea that money is everything/ all you should think about which no-one is saying.

However if you needed one thing and one thing only, chances are money would solve it. Put another way, if you could keep one thing with you at all times in case you need it later I would choose money (if I need food I'm covered, if I get lost I'm covered etcetc). What would you choose?
Original post by xylas
If you needed one thing and one thing only, chances are money would solve it. Put another way, if you could keep one thing with you at all times in case you need it later I would choose money (if I need food I'm covered, if I get lost I'm covered etcetc). What would you choose?

That rather depends where I was. If I were in a foreign country I'd prefer to have a friend from there who spoke the language: indeed I've heard a lot of interviews with people who travel the world, and some of them have literally managed to go for weeks without money: they hitchhike, stay with friends/couchsurf etc. If I were in the wilderness or jungle I'd want a machete, money wouldn't be much help there. If I were in a warzone I'd want a gun for protection.

So yes, in summation, if I were in a built-up area of a peaceful first world country where people spoke English, as you presumably meant, then I would choose money, because in our society money is needed for most things.
Reply 119
That rather depends where I was. If I were in a foreign country I'd prefer to have a friend from there who spoke the language: indeed I've heard a lot of interviews with people who travel the world, and some of them have literally managed to go for weeks without money: they hitchhike, stay with friends/couchsurf etc. If I were in the wilderness or jungle I'd want a machete, money wouldn't be much help there. If I were in a warzone I'd want a gun for protection.

So yes, in summation, if I were in a built-up area of a peaceful first world country where people spoke English, as you presumably meant, then I would choose money, because in our society money is needed for most things.

Without the conditional statements, if you were anywhere in the world and you didn't know where in advance what would you choose? A machete just in case?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending