The Student Room Group

HELP!!!! How to structure answer for English Literature.

Please summarise in bullet points please!!! I only need an A in exam and I don't know what to do.
Reply 1
Original post by Want_To_Achieve
Please summarise in bullet points please!!! I only need an A in exam and I don't know what to do.

I do:
- Small intro, basically answering the q, and summarising what I am going to include

- 3/4/5 points, on each of these points I will link to other parts of the novel and possibly link to context

- Small conclusion basically summing everything up
Original post by cicelym
I do:
- Small intro, basically answering the q, and summarising what I am going to include

- 3/4/5 points, on each of these points I will link to other parts of the novel and possibly link to context

What about section B: 2 Parts to complete in 45 mins.... how many paragraphs for each? Do I bother with an intro/ conclusion?
Original post by cicelym
I do:

No! I need to know how to structure Points made in answer.
Use this (PEEELA):
Point
Evidence
Explanation
Effect
Language
Alternative interpretation (A*)

Stole this from someone's post.
Reply 5
1) Make your point, preferrably it should directly answer the question and include parts of the question
2)Embed a short quote
3)Effect of one word, connotations and denotations
4)Zoom out, effect of whole quote in paragraph
5)Themes displayed
6)Priestly's/Steinbecks message
7)Effect on reader
8)Small conclusion, summarising. Or you can say 'Ultimately, Priestly/Steinbeck are....'
Original post by Bulletzone
Use this (PEEELA):
Point
Evidence
Explanation
Effect
Language
Alternative interpretation (A*)

Stole this from someone's post.

Yes, this can help a lot with the structure and you could refer back to the question and analyse key words of that certain quote. Link to context aswell
Reply 7
Point- what you are talking about
Evidence- use a quotation
Effect- Explain the quotation and what effect it has on the reader
Language- talk about key language features and go into depth that support your point
You can also include deeper implications
Reply 8
Original post by DystopiaisReal
What about section B: 2 Parts to complete in 45 mins.... how many paragraphs for each? Do I bother with an intro/ conclusion?

What exam board are you doing?
Original post by jennyoc
1) Make your point, preferrably it should directly answer the question and include parts of the question
2)Embed a short quote
3)Effect of one word, connotations and denotations
4)Zoom out, effect of whole quote in paragraph
5)Themes displayed
6)Priestly's/Steinbecks message
7)Effect on reader
8)Small conclusion, summarising. Or you can say 'Ultimately, Priestly/Steinbeck are....'

Is this used for part a or b? And can it be used on the 'Sunlight On The Grass' short stories?
Reply 10
Original post by Josh Stacey
Is this used for part a or b? And can it be used on the 'Sunlight On The Grass' short stories?

This structure is versatile and can be adapted for any essay use.
Also, note that some questions may require you to add context, so adapt it to fit the needs of the question and criteria.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending