The Student Room Group

Does anyone else get scared when going for a blood test?

Like I when I'm waiting to get blood taken out of my arm I get really anxious and my heart starts going really fast and I just feel so scared. Last two times I had blood taken out of my arm I threw up afterwards, it just hurt so much. Today I thought I had to get blood taken from a blood clinic and it turned out I couldn't get it done at that clinic and I cried afterwards.

I never had this anxiety before and I wish I knew how to get rid of it

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Like I when I'm waiting to get blood taken out of my arm I get really anxious and my heart starts going really fast and I just feel so scared. Last two times I had blood taken out of my arm I threw up afterwards, it just hurt so much. Today I thought I had to get blood taken from a blood clinic and it turned out I couldn't get it done at that clinic and I cried afterwards.

I used to find blood tests terrible. Threw up after and got all teary. I've had so many that I'm used to them now.
I found laying down and being distracted helped. If they talk about it and say how it's going and stuff I feel worse but it tends to help people who get scared so they normally do it. Going in with somebody, looking at them and talking about something different helps me. I also try not to eat before and that helps keep my stomach settled more. Do drink though or they will find it difficult getting any blood out.

Let them know that you don't do so well when you go in too and they will be nice to you. I was told to book appointments for it rather than walk in so i'd have more time.
I've had injections on a yearly basis, I just got used to it. I suppose I don't really feel affected by it, because I'm too busy thinking about other things haha. I focus on things that would seem more stressful than my blood test, I guess my brain manages to prioritise stresses of life over any pain or anxiety from blood being taken out and being injected etc. It's also best if you try not to tense your muscles before you go in, I shake my arms and relax myself, easier for needle to go in. I dunno, I guess just distract yourself is the best way to go.
Reply 3
Original post by Kindred
I used to find blood tests terrible. Threw up after and got all teary. I've had so many that I'm used to them now.
I found laying down and being distracted helped. If they talk about it and say how it's going and stuff I feel worse but it tends to help people who get scared so they normally do it. Going in with somebody, looking at them and talking about something different helps me. I also try not to eat before and that helps keep my stomach settled more. Do drink though or they will find it difficult getting any blood out.

Let them know that you don't do so well when you go in too and they will be nice to you. I was told to book appointments for it rather than walk in so i'd have more time.

Original post by Unorganisedaf
I've had injections on a yearly basis, I just got used to it. I suppose I don't really feel affected by it, because I'm too busy thinking about other things haha. I focus on things that would seem more stressful than my blood test, I guess my brain manages to prioritise stresses of life over any pain or anxiety from blood being taken out and being injected etc. It's also best if you try not to tense your muscles before you go in, I shake my arms and relax myself, easier for needle to go in. I dunno, I guess just distract yourself is the best way to go.

Thank you both for your practical advice :smile: I didn't have this problem before I went to donate blood and I got sick and the staff were rather rude. Sadly I have to have blood tests because my doctor ordered them for me so I hope the next ones go okay.
Weirdly, I like blood tests.
I hate them too, but the pain doesn't bother me.. anything to do with myself and being able to see my own blood makes me feel faint because it shouldn't be outside my body! You can imagine what my first period was like haha.. :colondollar:
Original post by Anonymous

When I got a blood test I started looking at the tube and then I started laughing for some weird reason then I was just like to my mum: "That's a lot of blood". It was so weird
Original post by Rhythmical
Weirdly, I like blood tests.

Same here when I saw my blood I started laughing uncontrollably for some reason
Original post by zXcodeXz
Same here when I saw my blood I started laughing uncontrollably for some reason

I get all cocky and be all cool and stuff and try not to think about it.
I get all cocky and be all cool and stuff and try not to think about it.

Lol, for me it doesn't even hurt its just weird the way that I react
Lol, for me it doesn't even hurt its just weird the way that I react

It doesn't hurt, it's the thought of it happening that hurts. The annoying part is when they have to re do it and then it becomes a recurrence because your VEINS are so pesky, yeah that is annoying. :frown:
It doesn't hurt, it's the thought of it happening that hurts. The annoying part is when they have to re do it and then it becomes a recurrence because your VEINS are so pesky, yeah that is annoying. :frown:

Yeah that's so true :biggrin:
Just came out of an MRI , claustrophobia inducing af
Yeah that's so true :biggrin:

I can't wait for my next blood test! :biggrin:
I can't wait for my next blood test! :biggrin:

Same here! :colondollar:
Same here! :colondollar:

That sounds so weird, but actually I love blood and stuff like that, gives me a rush.
i love blood tests loool
i once asked if i could have a go LOOOOOOL she said no tho..

once they couldnt find my vein so they put the injection in like 5 times around my arm LMAO
she described it as "ribena" coming out of my arm..

and then i realised tht blood tests are not so fun
bc i have low vitamin D..
That sounds so weird, but actually I love blood and stuff like that, gives me a rush.

Yeah in a way it actually does!
Original post by mariam687
i love blood tests loool
i once asked if i could have a go LOOOOOOL she said no tho..

once they couldnt find my vein so they put the injection in like 5 times around my arm LMAO
she described it as "ribena" coming out of my arm..

and then i realised tht blood tests are not so fun
bc i have low vitamin D..

OMG that statement made me LOL. :laugh: Did it taste like Ribena too? :tongue:

Yeah in a way it actually does!

Mmmh blood.
OMG that statement made me LOL. :laugh: Did it taste like Ribena too? :tongue:

Mmmh blood.

Yum yum

Quick Reply

Latest