The Student Room Group

English Literature Essay

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CaptErin
Sorry to jump in, but do you mind me asking what points you'd put for Candy? (It's fine if you don't want to :smile: ) Just realised I haven't revised him properly, missed him off my character list :/

Edit: Sorry just saw the other comment aha, never mind :smile:

Dw I'll just put it up here:smile::

Candy is a marginalised character because of his age. He's only there because he has to be there. The only thing he has in his life is his dog, which the white, young men take away from him in the beginning (this could symbolise how the Great Depression seperated families as the fathers had to leave their families in order to send money back home, the white men symbolising the men in Wall Street). As soon as he feels a sense of futility, he jumps onto George and Lennie's American Dream in order to avoid the feeling of loneliness. This is ironic as all workers are actually lonely, yet they're afraid of the thought of being lonely.

Also, Mr.Bruff's videos on Candy mentioned how he's a moral compass. He makes it clear that Curley's Wife is unfair when she scares Crooks - also showing that Candy, a marginalised character, doesn't have the attitude of a typical, white, American man. So Steinbeck could actually be using Candy to voice his own opinions, as he makes it clear that the actions of other characters are unjust to the readers.

I hope this helps:smile:..
Original post by ElaArslan
Dw I'll just put it up here:smile::

Candy is a marginalised character because of his age. He's only there because he has to be there. The only thing he has in his life is his dog, which the white, young men take away from him in the beginning (this could symbolise how the Great Depression seperated families as the fathers had to leave their families in order to send money back home, the white men symbolising the men in Wall Street). As soon as he feels a sense of futility, he jumps onto George and Lennie's American Dream in order to avoid the feeling of loneliness. This is ironic as all workers are actually lonely, yet they're afraid of the thought of being lonely.

Also, Mr.Bruff's videos on Candy mentioned how he's a moral compass. He makes it clear that Curley's Wife is unfair when she scares Crooks - also showing that Candy, a marginalised character, doesn't have the attitude of a typical, white, American man. So Steinbeck could actually be using Candy to voice his own opinions, as he makes it clear that the actions of other characters are unjust to the readers.

I hope this helps:smile:..

Wow, thanks, that's really in depth! I hope Candy comes up just so you get to use those points, haha! I'd never heard about him as a moral compass before, that's actually a really interesting concept :hmmm:
Original post by CaptErin
Wow, thanks, that's really in depth! I hope Candy comes up just so you get to use those points, haha! I'd never heard about him as a moral compass before, that's actually a really interesting concept :hmmm:

I hope so!! Thank you though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending