The Student Room Group

Economics AQA unit 2 tomorrow!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by kingLAWZA
Do we have to know about Price Deflation?

yes - but not much more than it happens and its bad.

But can someone help in regards to inflation exchnage rate relationship.
Original post by boinz

But can someone help in regards to inflation exchnage rate relationship.

Thanks, my teacher gave me this really detailed essay I don't get a bit

Low exchange rate > exports more price competitive > increased foreign demand > in SR excess demand compared to supply > Inflation

Low exchange rate > Imports more expensive > Inelastic demand for hard/soft commodities > Increased costs of raw materials and therefore costs of production > Cost-push inflation
Reply 22
i am so scared for the 25 marker that is definitely the worst everything else is okay
Reply 23
Guys what are good websites to find multiple choice practice?
Original post by jl00
Guys what are good websites to find multiple choice practice?

Just do past papers from the old spec
Original post by boinz

Not true necessarily. There's malign (bad) deflation caused by a decrease in AD, causing the price level to drop along with GDP. There's also benign (good) deflation caused by an increase in AS, causing the price level to drop while GDP actually rises.

Not vital knowledge but could be very useful for getting A04 marks.
Reply 26
everyone revise monetary policy people are saying that it is definitely coming up maybe a 25 marker
Hi I need help to know what to put in my conclusion, what points should I always make for example the opportunity cost and ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by BirdIsWord
If its high inflation relative to main trading partners, then yes thats effectively appreciation of domestic currency.

When its lower inflation relative to trading partners, thats effectively depreciation.

Not sure this is correct. If domestic inflation is high relative to our trading partners then surely the value of our currency in real terms will have fallen more than the value of theirs, making our currency worth less comparatively, hence representing a depreciation of domestic currency, not appreciation?
Reply 29
Original post by Mitch3622
Hi I need help to know what to put in my conclusion, what points should I always make for example the opportunity cost and ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Opportunity cost is more for micro, just talk about the impacts of the conflicting macroeconomic objectives you will have discussed in the previous paragraph and link everything back to the question
Original post by jn998
Not sure this is correct. If domestic inflation is high relative to our trading partners then surely the value of our currency in real terms will have fallen more than the value of theirs, making our currency worth less comparatively, hence representing a depreciation of domestic currency, not appreciation?

No..
I'm right. I don't understand what you're saying.
Reply 32
No..
I'm right. I don't understand what you're saying.

http://www.economicsonline.co.uk/Global_economics/Inflation.html

I hope you're not trying to prove me wrong. It literally says

"The balance of payments may deteriorate because domestic inflation stimulates import spending, given that imports appear relatively cheaper, and dampens export sales, as exports appear more expensive abroad."
I hope you're not trying to prove me wrong. It literally says

"The balance of payments may deteriorate because domestic inflation stimulates import spending, given that imports appear relatively cheaper, and dampens export sales, as exports appear more expensive abroad."

You are incorrect - if inflation is higher in a country compared to the rest of the world, its exchange rate will deteriorate. Even though imports increase when domestic inflation increases, it's not because of an increased exchange rate: it's because prices are higher domestically. Even though imports will increase if the exchange rate increases, an increase in imports doesn't necessarily mean that the exchange rate has increased, as many factors come into play when imports vary.

Additionally, the increase in imports following the inflation of domestic prices depreciates the currency even further, as many people are competing to "sell off" or swap their domestic currency for foreign currencies, increasing the supply of the domestic currency and lowering the value of it.

Nowhere in the article that you shared with us does it say that domestic inflation increases the exchange rate, it only says that imports will increase when this occurs. As I said, an increase in demand for imports does not necessarily mean that the domestic currency has appreciated (which in the case of inflation, it has done the opposite).
Original post by DanCampbell1998
You are incorrect - if inflation is higher in a country compared to the rest of the world, its exchange rate will deteriorate. Even though imports increase when domestic inflation increases, it's not because of an increased exchange rate: it's because prices are higher domestically. Even though imports will increase if the exchange rate increases, an increase in imports doesn't necessarily mean that the exchange rate has increased, as many factors come into play when imports vary.

Additionally, the increase in imports following the inflation of domestic prices depreciates the currency even further, as many people are competing to "sell off" or swap their domestic currency for foreign currencies, increasing the supply of the domestic currency and lowering the value of it.

Nowhere in the article that you shared with us does it say that domestic inflation increases the exchange rate, it only says that imports will increase when this occurs. As I said, an increase in demand for imports does not necessarily mean that the domestic currency has appreciated (which in the case of inflation, it has done the opposite).

do you understand what 'effectively' means? Or am i being trolled right now xddd
Reply 36
do you understand what 'effectively' means? Or am i being trolled right now xddd

Not trolled, just proven wrong by a logical, reasoned argument.
Did anyone get tripped up on the first question of multiple choice and the centralised distribution- i realise I know what centralised distribution is now- but in the exam I totally blanked!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending