The Student Room Group

AQA AS Product Design 2016 Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Rubeng
Yeah I got the points, but usually the mark scheme has copy of the diagram. I didn't get the diagram. What should it be?

Honestly not sure, bit of a weird question. I'd go with the wooden mould process and just draw a boxy shape that looked like the bench :tongue:
Original post by Exams987
how much of natural woods should i revise?

so far i know hard wood and soft woods.

Soft woods and hardwoods are natural woods. There are no other woods unless you count man-made board but that isn't natural
Reply 82
[QUOTE=CheaterHater;65045025]Am I missing anything from this list of manufacturing processes?
Plastic:
Injection Moulding
Rotational Moulding
Vacuum forming
Blow moulding
Extrusion
Compression moulding

Metal:
Press forming
Extruding
sand casting
Deep drawing
Die casting

From plastics no but for metals you are missing spinning and don't forget laying up for composites (pond liner) and for woods steam bending. These processes are in the textbook if you have it.
Original post by CheaterHater
Am I missing anything from this list of manufacturing processes?
Plastic:
Injection Moulding
Rotational Moulding
Vacuum forming
Blow moulding
Extrusion
Compression moulding
Calendering

Metal:
Press forming
Extruding
sand casting
Deep drawing/cupping
Die casting (hot or cold chamber) (gravity)
Piercing and blanking
Spinning
Lost wax process

Added in some others for you :smile: you also need wood processes and as the poster above said stuff like wet layup

Original post by lmg1
Should I be learning properties of smart and modern materials because these don't really come up for properties questions?

Yes, always helps to know as much as possible
(edited 7 years ago)
can some one please help me out,

i have just started revising for this exam today.

which topics are least likely to come up?
does anyone think compliant materials will come up tomorrow?
does anyone think compliant materials will come up tomorrow?

Honestly DT exam is unpredictable, anything could come up.

But definitely make sure to learn a couple of key materials from each group.(like mild steel for ferrous metals, ABS for thermoplastics etc.)
Original post by Music With Rocks
Honestly DT exam is unpredictable, anything could come up.

But definitely make sure to learn a couple of key materials from each group.(like mild steel for ferrous metals, ABS for thermoplastics etc.)

ABS is a life saver :lol:
Original post by Fruitbasket786
So far I've done annealing, pressforming, sandcasting, embossing,cupping and deep drawing and drop forging and I don't know if these process would be useful if asked for how the material is shaped into the chair or sutin X_x

Well the legs would be extruded into metal tubes and if the whole chair was metal i reckon it'd be fabricated
Press forming,cupping,deep drawing, blanking and embossing are all processes to make a drinks can (aluminium) and spinning is for metal bowls/lampshades
Im recapping finishes and joints now :h:
Original post by k.m.b
Well the legs would be extruded into metal tubes and if the whole chair was metal i reckon it'd be fabricated
Press forming,cupping,deep drawing, blanking and embossing are all processes to make a drinks can (aluminium) and spinning is for metal bowls/lampshades
Im recapping finishes and joints now :h:

Going to gloss over metal casting since I know I won't rememeber all the diagrams in one day so I'm just going to remember how they work and what examples are for the application. After that I will look at annealing :tongue:
Reply 90
Do we need to know about all the heat treatments on metals? They are not in the spec.
Original post by Rubeng
Do we need to know about all the heat treatments on metals? They are not in the spec.

No but they have asked questions on it in previous exam papers.
For the usually last question that wants you to re-design a product for this certain audience. How do you usually follow through with these? How many ideas do you put down, what kind of annotations do you make? How are your drawings, do you develop ideas or just present them as one version etc.
Reply 93
For the usually last question that wants you to re-design a product for this certain audience. How do you usually follow through with these? How many ideas do you put down, what kind of annotations do you make? How are your drawings, do you develop ideas or just present them as one version etc.

I've found doing lots of development and annotation can never fail, just make sure the final design looks similar to the original
Original post by Jakewww
I've found doing lots of development and annotation can never fail, just make sure the final design looks similar to the original

Just reiterating this to everyone :yes: otherwise if it looks too different you get 0 marks :redface:
Original post by Jakewww

Okay, I agree, and when you have separate ideas, do you draw each idea on separate diagrams then at the end draw the whole product with all features present?
does anyone know the page for wasting processes?
Reply 97
Okay, I agree, and when you have separate ideas, do you draw each idea on separate diagrams then at the end draw the whole product with all features present?

Yeah just smaller drawing highlighting the feature, all leading to the final product
Original post by Fruitbasket786
Going to gloss over metal casting since I know I won't rememeber all the diagrams in one day so I'm just going to remember how they work and what examples are for the application. After that I will look at annealing :tongue:

Nice. This is my first AS exam (as i'm in Y11) so i hope it's a good exam.
----
Good luck everyone! :biggrin:
Reply 99
does anyone know the page for wasting processes?

Pages for wasting processes are 38-40

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending