The Student Room Group

AQA AS English Language - 23rd May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
What would you write if the one of the texts was spoken? Like a transcript for example.
Original post by belzwantswood
Our teacher says to do FAP (heh) in the introduction:
FORM - is it a newspaper? a twitter feed?
AUDIENCE - who is the target audience?
PURPOSE - what is its primary/secondary purpose?

You can then refer to these three things throughout the text - remember you have to link back to representation! (it's the keyword of the question)

E.g Person A uses [this grammatical feature you have just explained] to represent themself as similiar to their audience

E.g Person B uses [phonology in way you have just explained] to fulfil their secondary purpose of entertaining the reader, and to represent themself as amusing and charming.

Use a PEE structure -
Point (outline what you are about to say e.g "Person A appeals to their audience through use of grammar)
Evidence (talk about their use of grammar, e.g "the use of elision in the verb "gonna":wink:
Explain (explain how it links back to representation e.g "this represents person A has cool, casual and relaxed)

You could go even further and explain how that links to their audience / primary / secondary purpose.

The best points to go for are grammar, lexis/semantics or phonology. Those will get you the best marks!!

Message me if you need further help :smile:

Original post by belzwantswood
Our teacher says to do FAP (heh) in the introduction:
FORM - is it a newspaper? a twitter feed?
AUDIENCE - who is the target audience?
PURPOSE - what is its primary/secondary purpose?

You can then refer to these three things throughout the text - remember you have to link back to representation! (it's the keyword of the question)

E.g Person A uses [this grammatical feature you have just explained] to represent themself as similiar to their audience

E.g Person B uses [phonology in way you have just explained] to fulfil their secondary purpose of entertaining the reader, and to represent themself as amusing and charming.

Use a PEE structure -
Point (outline what you are about to say e.g "Person A appeals to their audience through use of grammar)
Evidence (talk about their use of grammar, e.g "the use of elision in the verb "gonna":wink:
Explain (explain how it links back to representation e.g "this represents person A has cool, casual and relaxed)

You could go even further and explain how that links to their audience / primary / secondary purpose.

The best points to go for are grammar, lexis/semantics or phonology. Those will get you the best marks!!

Message me if you need further help :smile:

However, don't you need mode features?
Reply 62
people are saying technology is likely to come up tomorrow, by that do they mean like a twitter fead or webpage that kind of thing? I'm confused at what they mean by technology...:?
Original post by Chloebreenb
people are saying technology is likely to come up tomorrow, by that do they mean like a twitter fead or webpage that kind of thing? I'm confused at what they mean by technology...:?

Anything that is electronic mode im guessing?
Reply 64
Original post by 10studentlife
Anything that is electronic mode im guessing?

and would you specifically have to mention 'technology' or would speaking about the use of hyperlinks and stuff be okay?

Well, if this is for ENGA, I'm retaking this exam tomorrow (I'm in year 13) and if it's anything like last years paper, it will be from a forum, such as this. Last year it was a moneysupermarket forum.
Reply 66
Do:
-write about both texts
-plan and structure your answer systematically using paragraphs with clear topic sentences
-begin your answer with an overview of context, modes and topics
-identify key language features using appropriate linguistic terms
-explain how these features contribute to the construction of meanings
-explicitly comment on the mode features of the the texts.

Do not:
-summarise the content of the texts
-leave out comments on the meanings and effects of language features
-forget to comment on mode characteristics
-write about only one of the the texts
-offer quotations without linguistic description.
and would you specifically have to mention 'technology' or would speaking about the use of hyperlinks and stuff be okay?

What do you mean by hyperlinks?
When analyzing forums like mumsnet i find it soo hard to pick out English language features to talk about what main features are important to talk about?
Original post by EmreCan
What would you write if the one of the texts was spoken? Like a transcript for example.

I'd take a highlighter and begin with picking out non-fluency features. I'd look for evidence as to which speaker has the superior status based upon what kind of language features they demonstrate (whether they hold the floor for the longest, make interruptions, and how they address others and how others address them). From what utterances they make, I'd comment on how that might represent them. For example if the transcript was between a teacher and a pupil in which the teacher directly addressed the pupil using their first name and last name, I'd infer that this could show that the teacher is sarcastic.
Original post by revision1
When analyzing forums like mumsnet i find it soo hard to pick out English language features to talk about what main features are important to talk about?

Remember that the mode is incredibly important here as MumsNet is online, meaning that your paralinguistic features are non-existent and this can have a huge effect on how things may be interpreted. Consequently, on forums, to accommodate for this, you usually find emoticons being used in order to mimic the effect of paralinguistic features, for example a winking face may be used after an insult such as "Gosh, you're such an idiot" as without that emotion, it would be interpreted literally rather than pragmatically. Horrible example, I know, but hopefully you get the idea!
ENGB1 ftw. Screw all you ENGA n00bs
[=TheTakers;65057629]Remember that the mode is incredibly important here as MumsNet is online, meaning that your paralinguistic features are non-existent and this can have a huge effect on how things may be interpreted. Consequently, on forums, to accommodate for this, you usually find emoticons being used in order to mimic the effect of paralinguistic features, for example a winking face may be used after an insult such as "Gosh, you're such an idiot" as without that emotion, it would be interpreted literally rather than pragmatically. Horrible example, I know, but hopefully you get the idea!

Thank you so much this really helped!! :smile::h:
Original post by revision1
Thank you so much this really helped!! :smile::h:

No problem, if you need any help in the next two hours, feel free to PM me!
Original post by TheTakers
No problem, if you need any help in the next two hours, feel free to PM me!

Do you know ENGB1?
Reply 75
i'm pretty sure any transcript will only come up on paper 2 so i wouldnt worry. Just remember for high marks you must comment on clause level language. Identifying and explaining things such as relative and subordinate clauses = high marks.

Look if the text uses concrete vs abstract nouns.

Concrete = A more Physical representation

Abstract + Enhanced representation of emotion and feeling.

Dont spend too much time on graphology and more focus on Lexis.
Same with phonology, there is often very little you can say on this apart from alliteration and possibly onomatopoeia

Need and help just message me
I'm mainly worrying about the second part of paper 1 where we have to compare the two text!! I feel like on all my practice papers I have never done it well enough! like I can't figure out how to write it properly :bawling:
Original post by yoMilkSheikh
Do you know ENGB1?

I can't say for sure! I'm doing the new spec, so if there's any overlap between the new and old spec, I could help with that?
Original post by Katieeaton
I'm mainly worrying about the second part of paper 1 where we have to compare the two text!! I feel like on all my practice papers I have never done it well enough! like I can't figure out how to write it properly :bawling:

Begin by finding the similarities and differences between the text. These could be anything from the formality, the choice of verbs, the contrast in language, and the complexity of sentences. Then, analyse the texts to work out why those differences and similarities remained. In my class, we studied two texts with the same subject and of the same mode with a very similar purpose, however their audiences were different - one aimed at children and one aimed at adults - so there were huge differences between the text.

When comparing, make sure your comparisons are balanced! Don't focus on one text too much, and in your paragraphs explicitly make references to the two texts.
Original post by Excuse Me!
Yh thought they had a new spec but was confused as it was the same time and day! Thanks

Is there a thread for our exam?

Yeah I made one a few days ago!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4090773

Quick Reply