The Student Room Group

OCR Biology A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 26, 2016 and Depth - June 7, 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by chazlotte132
For the classification and evolution topic, which calculations do we need to know? and do we get given the formulas in the exam?

Everything is given in terms of formulas
For the classification and evolution topic, which calculations do we need to know? and do we get given the formulas in the exam?

I can't remember any formula for that but it is likely we get given it if it's as complicated as the simpson's index

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will be given the formula for these if required for a question:

Chi Squared
The Hardy-Weinberg Equation
Simson's Index
Spearman's Rank
Standard Deviation
Paired and unpaired Student's t-test

You will be expected to know how to calculate these:

circumference
area of circle
surface area of cuboid
volume of cuboid
surface area of cylinder
volume of cylinder
surface area of sphere
volume of sphere
magnification
Rf
enzyme rates
diffusion rates
transpiration rate
water potential
surface area to volume ratio
species richness and evenness
genetic biodiversity
relationship between heart rate, cardiac output and stroke volume
% change and yield
relative uncertainty
Q10

source: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/294471-mathematical-skills-handbook-.pdf pp. 57-60
(edited 7 years ago)
I swear i just drop so many marks for not saying the obvious...

I'm so going to fail biology :lol:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Firenze26
I can't remember any formula for that but it is likely we get given it if it's as complicated as the simpson's index

Posted from TSR Mobile

the practise paper was very hard, I only got 34/70 ffs. however, the grade boundaries r likely to be very low but compact together, for ex., for an A it is likely to be around 70% , which is quite low, but then B would be 63%, c 57% etc. Don't stress out though, I know u will do awesome

the practise paper was very hard, I only got 34/70 ffs. however, the grade boundaries r likely to be very low but compact together, for ex., for an A it is likely to be around 70% , which is quite low, but then B would be 63%, c 57% etc. Don't stress out though, I know u will do awesome

Have you got the practice paper if so can you upload it here please. I really need them!
Original post by lovelyqueen

Have you got the practice paper if so can you upload it here please. I really need them!

sorry I would've done so, but the teacher will only be able to give it to me on Monday with the mark scheme. I will try to post it on here tomorrow hopefully if u still need them.
Original post by Awsomedude

sorry I would've done so, but the teacher will only be able to give it to me on Monday with the mark scheme. I will try to post it on here tomorrow hopefully if u still need them.

That's Ok, could you please post it here tommorow?
So glad I found this thread :h:,

The mark schemes for the specimen and practice paper's are waaaaay to specific, by the way does anyone have any ideas about topics that may come up?
Original post by fteam
Has anyone done the practice paper and specimen paper for breadth? and what did they get.

Ive just done the breadth paper (Sample Assessment Material Paper off OCR website) and got 69%. Not sure on what grade that is though. Didnt find it too difficult but made some stupid mistakes that i wont do again. what did anyone else get? What were your thoughts on it?
Hey guys, just did a massive update to the OP. I think some people are missing some helpful links, resources and tips in the past few pages of the thread so I tried to compile them to make it easier and to make some resources more visible. Let me know if you guys want to add some to the OP or remove your post if you didn't want it in the OP.

I've tagged and added the username of the amazing posters (?) who added them to the thread so you'll know who to thank.

Cheers and good luck with your revision. :smile:
Do we need to learn all the formulas (student t-test, standard deviation etc...)?
Original post by fteam
Has anyone done the practice paper and specimen paper for breadth? and what did they get.

The public specimen I got like 65% without revision

The secret practice paper I got 49% even though I banged out multiple choice

I cant acc answer questions about practicals/analysis etc, or those suggest questions, or those trend 4 markers, or really any structured. I can't answer 6 markers for sh**.
Original post by Firenze26
31/75 for the practice breadth, still haven't gotten around the spec paper though.

I swear, the need for specific wording is catching me out

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're so rude about wording and dp/sf and graphy stuff. In the practice depth for simpson's index I got it wrong by 0.0001 because I used calc values instead of rounded.

And I also got a question wrong for calling something an interaction bc "in biology we call it a bond even though interaction is correct. Don't confuse this with chemistry"
Guys this is a new course but it's AS. Can we get A* yet or nah?
You can't get an A* at AS. An A* is only awarded awarded to candidates who achieve a grade A on the A Level overall (80%), and who also achieve at least 90% UMS across their A2 units.
By the way guys, don't fret too much about the accuracy of the specimen mark schemes (well do to a degree...) because they won't be as relaxed as the actual paper mark schemes.

Don't get complacent though! Try to be as accurate as possible and state everything! :u:
Original post by Gogregg
By the way guys, don't fret too much about the accuracy of the specimen mark schemes (well do to a degree...) because they won't be as relaxed as the actual paper mark schemes.

Don't get complacent though! Try to be as accurate as possible and state everything! :u:

Yes this is true! As in the actual mark schemes they will have Allow... marks as many people will say things that are also correct that wernt included on the original mark scheme. Obviously for the specimen paper they didn't have a large no of people doing them so don't have many allow marks. But like @Gogregg said still try to be very accurate!

Good Luck Everyone!!!!!!
Original post by James3000117
You will be given the formula for these if required for a question:

Chi Squared
The Hardy-Weinberg Equation
Simson's Index
Spearman's Rank
Standard Deviation
Paired and unpaired Student's t-test

You will be expected to know how to calculate these:

circumference
area of circle
surface area of cuboid
volume of cuboid
surface area of cylinder
volume of cylinder
surface area of sphere
volume of sphere
magnification
Rf
enzyme rates
diffusion rates
transpiration rate
water potential
surface area to volume ratio
species richness and evenness
genetic biodiversity
relationship between heart rate, cardiac output and stroke volume
% change and yield
relative uncertainty
Q10

source: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/294471-mathematical-skills-handbook-.pdf pp. 57-60

What is Chi Squared And The Hardy-Weinberg Equation. I havent been taught this? Also whats the difference between paired and unpaired student t-test.

(I doesnt say any of those ^^ on the specification for AS so I don't think its gonna come up, maybe its next year?)
Reply 279
achieving 65% is pretty good, i haven't heard of anyone getting anything higher, i got 61% in the secret practice paper and i will do the public specimen paper today and see what i achieve, I'm really worried about biology i was hoping for an A but these specimen papers have removed the remaining hope i had in me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending