The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lúcio
Yeah but you don't dispute FK's foolish logic?

Yeah but Barnsley are an inferior club so it levels out...

Oh I do, you're both retarded not just you
Original post by difeo
Oh I do, you're both retarded not just you

Except I was taking the piss with that post and he was cereal

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zayn is Bae
Except I was taking the piss with that post and he was cereal

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lies, claiming you were baiting because your bff doesn't agree x
So you're saying that a team that reaches cup finals but lose have had a successful season

Are you Swansea

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you saying winning a tinpot cup like the FA Cup means you've had a successful season?

Are you Portsmouth in disguise?
I was bored of revising so I made this edit on Coutinho wonder goal vs Stoke.

[video="youtube;CKxK7aPIrpA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKxK7aPIrpA&feature=youtu.be[/video]
Original post by Zerforax
Are you saying winning a tinpot cup like the FA Cup means you've had a successful season?

Are you Portsmouth in disguise?

Find one quote where I've said that we haven't had a **** season lol. Shows the difference doesn't it, you guys have had a successful one in your eyes despite finishing 8th and trophy-less, we've finished 5th with a cup and sacked our manager.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Glad to see the club throwing the kitchen sink at Gotze, apparently he has been offered a contract of £180k per week which if he signs will make him the current highest paid player at the club. I'm quite hopeful we'll get him purely because we can offer him regular playing time and that fact that he has a great relationship with Klopp. I'd love to see it sorted out before the Euros start.
I just hope that not being in Europe gives Klopp the chance to trim the squad (especially all the 'youth' players who are over 21; Stewart, Smith and Texeira et al) and craft a squad designed to last 90 minutes and a full season.
I think that bringing in a new goalkeeper, and even a new left-back, doesn't mean players like Mignolet and Moreno have to leave. We need a squad, at the end of the day.

But I do want us to go hell for leather in getting the likes of Gotze in.

I'd be looking to bolster our goalkeeping options, and defensive options at centre-back and left-back as priorities. I then think we're looking at somebody for the engine room, so Can can play without the burden of being our main central midfielder next season, and added numbers in the attacking trident behind Sturridge/Origi.
Original post by Mackay
I think that bringing in a new goalkeeper, and even a new left-back, doesn't mean players like Mignolet and Moreno have to leave. We need a squad, at the end of the day.

But I do want us to go hell for leather in getting the likes of Gotze in.

I'd be looking to bolster our goalkeeping options, and defensive options at centre-back and left-back as priorities. I then think we're looking at somebody for the engine room, so Can can play without the burden of being our main central midfielder next season, and added numbers in the attacking trident behind Sturridge/Origi.

That is exactly the problem we have had for a long time. Just because a player isn't quite good enough to be a first team player every week, does not mean that they cannot be a good squad performer.

The likes of Mignolet and Moreno would preferably just drop down a 'squad level', with a stronger performer coming in to take the main first 11 position.
I've heard a few rumours about us being interested in Drinkwater and Long. I don't want any of these Rodgersesque signings. :afraid:

What do you guys expect from next season? I want to see a title challenge, we have one game a week so we should be able to play Klopp's high energy and intense pressure style every week. A whole week to prepare for most PL matches will be a luxury for us since it'll give Klopp and the players more than enough time to fine tune the tactics. The bare minimum next season should be top 4 and a cup.
Original post by The.Joker
I've heard a few rumours about us being interested in Drinkwater and Long. I don't want any of these Rodgersesque signings. :afraid:

What do you guys expect from next season? I want to see a title challenge, we have one game a week so we should be able to play Klopp's high energy and intense pressure style every week. A whole week to prepare for most PL matches will be a luxury for us since it'll give Klopp and the players more than enough time to fine tune the tactics. The bare minimum next season should be top 4 and a cup.

Drinkwater would be fine had he kept up that sort of form for two full seasons but I don't want to risk a 26 year old midfielder with one good season behind him to be a first choice midfielder in our team next year.

Long is just another Danny Ings but even worse. I don't want to see Long anywhere near the club! I would also prefer to see Ings removed from the club.

I will have to have a proper think about what I would like to see from the squad but the defence and goalkeeper definitely require an overhaul.
Original post by The.Joker

There's no way in hell that Drinkwater would join you tbh. Long yeah that's a **** signing can't lie. Realistically top 4 should be the aim, can't see you challenging and getting above a Pep or Wenger side with your current players.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's no way in hell that Drinkwater would join you tbh. Long yeah that's a **** signing can't lie. Realistically top 4 should be the aim, can't see you challenging and getting above a Pep or Wenger side with your current players.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But we arn't going into next season with the current players, Klopp is going to want to get his own players in and will have less games so less rotation required. A quality CM is where he really needs to bring someone in otherwise we won't see much progress. Klopp having access to a fit first XI will help alot, something he only had in recent months.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The Rusty Spork
Drinkwater would be fine had he kept up that sort of form for two full seasons but I don't want to risk a 26 year old midfielder with one good season behind him to be a first choice midfielder in our team next year.

Long is just another Danny Ings but even worse. I don't want to see Long anywhere near the club! I would also prefer to see Ings removed from the club.

I will have to have a proper think about what I would like to see from the squad but the defence and goalkeeper definitely require an overhaul.

Ings is fine as a 3rd choice striker, he fits into Klopp's style too. Plus before he got injured he was on a good run of form. He's a hard worker and he'd happily be our 3rd choice striker so I'd rather have him in the squad to use from the bench or as a rotation option etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Since we have no European games it'll be to our benefit as we'll have extra rest and more time to prepare tactically similar to the 13/14 season. There's going to be a massive clear out this summer where the deadwood will be removed and Klopp has final say on transfers so I'm optimistic that he'll sign the correct players. We just need a few more additions since we only need a smaller squad next season.
Saw this on reddit and found it to be a nice watch:

[video="youtube;RXb9eIUOekM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXb9eIUOekM[/video]

Ultimately, yeah it's been a disappointing season but only because we've done more than expected.
When Klopp came in, most of us here were saying that this campaign was effectively a write off and we were already half looking towards next season.
The only reason we're so gutted is because Klopp surpassed expectation and almost did something amazing.

When you look at it in the cold light of day, we finished 8th without silverware and that's not what we want.
However I think the best thing we can do is be positive and optimistic - Klopp got us to two cup finals in 7 months of management without spending a penny. Although we don't have anything of real value to show for it, that's bloody remarkable in itself and it's a huge sign of things to come.
Original post by Lúcio
When you look at it in the cold light of day, we finished 8th without silverware and that's not what we want.
However I think the best thing we can do is be positive and optimistic - Klopp got us to two cup finals in 7 months of management without spending a penny. Although we don't have anything of real value to show for it, that's bloody remarkable in itself and it's a huge sign of things to come.

It is interesting how people (including myself) become so obsessed with the final result - the one great thing about this season was that there was a number of fantastic games in terms of atmosphere, football, comebacks etc. I guess individual games mean more when there is a wider context?
Original post by Zerforax
It is interesting how people (including myself) become so obsessed with the final result - the one great thing about this season was that there was a number of fantastic games in terms of atmosphere, football, comebacks etc. I guess individual games mean more when there is a wider context?

I would say so - would rather I see the highs of the Dortmund game and lose in a final, rather than not getting there in the first place or play boring 1-0 wins etc which don't live long in the memory - That isn't directed at United, but from reading it could be read like that! Just my opinion, and I guess if you're a more casual fan like myself it makes sense.
Original post by Gob Bluth
I would say so - would rather I see the highs of the Dortmund game and lose in a final, rather than not getting there in the first place or play boring 1-0 wins etc which don't live long in the memory - That isn't directed at United, but from reading it could be read like that! Just my opinion, and I guess if you're a more casual fan like myself it makes sense.

Well I guess stuff like winning the FA cup gives you more bragging rights. Let's be honest, this forum is like being in a playground full of 12 year olds sometimes.
Karius reported to have arrived in Liverpool, looks like GK will be ticked off the shopping list.