The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tom1699
Yes!!! My teacher has been practicing it as they think it could be likely to come up.

I hope it does. I would smile throughout the whole exam if they came up because it's the only theme i'm mildly sure about ;D
I've been through all of the past papers including the 2011 papers- here is the possible scenes that I have narrowed down that can appear tomorrow:
- Carlson- the first meeting
- Curley- Fight with Lennie in the bunkhouse
- Curley- the first meeting
- Lennie's death
- Candy, George and Lennie talking about the dream- (will link in nicely with part b of how the Amercian dream is presented in the novel)
- The brush at the start
- The brush at the end

Make sure you know the analysis for these scenes and you are practically guaranteed to get a good grade .
(edited 7 years ago)
Is anyone doing lord of the flies? What theme or character is expected to come up last year they repeated a question i doubt they'd repeat it again though.

For OMAM does anyone have anything on Carlson or Whit?
Original post by 11DB2006
Guys I am doing of mice and men and an inspector call. I know this is really stupid as the test is tomorrow but can someone please help me on how to structure my answers

Posted from TSR Mobile

What the other guy said, and also include alternative interpretations (2 different meanings/interpretations of the same quote).

And have a paragraph analysing the language.

Watch Mr Bruff, he helped me a lot last year.
Reply 764
Can someone please post an answer for the curley fight scene extract, I would really appreciate it!
Original post by Joseph72602
Is anyone doing lord of the flies? What theme or character is expected to come up last year they repeated a question i doubt they'd repeat it again though.

For OMAM does anyone have anything on Carlson or Whit?

Whit won't come up unless they do a theme related to him. but it won't be focused on him as he's not the main character.

Carlson is the typical ranch worker at the time and isolated like everyone else, so he doesn't understand friendship and relationships (like george and lennie), which is also why it's so easy for him to kill Candy's dog. At that time, only the fittest survive.
Original post by MeganMcAlister
Yeah but you're given a passage for the first part of Section B so it makes it easier for you! The entire paper is worth 60 marks, Section A being worth 30 as well as Section B, so I imagine the marks for B are split if you have to write 2 essays :smile: (if that makes sense)

Oh ok, thank you so much :tongue: that makes a lot more sense now
Original post by Pepsi Cola :)
Actually I'm a bit worried about dreams! :/ If a question on dreams did come up, what points would you include? Thank you! :h:

Include all the dreams of all the characters!

Curley's Wife - being in the pictures
George and Lennie - their dream of owning a ranch
Curley - a boxer
Reply 768
Hi ad4m. Thanks for the paper! For the OMAM extract question, what points would you choose to right about? I am finding it quite hard to come up with a couple of different ideas... :/ Thank you in advance :h:

So you need to think about the dreams itself, the minimalistic scale and how this is what people lived on in the 1930s. You also need to talk about the shock of them that the dream is actually coming true, as a realist Slim wouldn't have believed it (Slim perhaps represents the realist personality of Steinbeck himself). 'Questioningly' for example or 'impressively', these abnormal words and how they are only uses in a positive light here. And then you could go on to explain the structure of the novel (how when something good happens something bad happens next (the fight scene for example)). 'Surrender' is another interesting word used to describe Whit's behaviour, suggesting perhaps that it is the only thing that is keeping him going. Or that the fact Tenner was a 'nice fella' means that his dream comes true. It is a very difficult question however.
Original post by EriNatsume
I've been through all of the past papers including the 2011 papers- here is the possible scenes that I have narrowed down that can appear tomorrow:
- Carlson- the first meeting
- Curley- Fight with Lennie in the bunkhouse
- Curley- the first meeting
- Lennie's death
- Candy, George and Lennie talking about the dream- (will link in nicely with part b of how the Amercian dream is presented in the novel)
- The brush at the start
- The brush at the end

Make sure you know the analysis for these scenes and you are practically guaranteed to get a good grade .

They can always repeat, June 2014 had George and Lennie, and so did June 2013 (or close to it)
What quotes could you use for the theme of American dream ( have a feeling this could come up)
Original post by ScrewTheExams
Whit won't come up unless they do a theme related to him. but it won't be focused on him as he's not the main character.

Carlson is the typical ranch worker at the time and isolated like everyone else, so he doesn't understand friendship and relationships (like george and lennie), which is also why it's so easy for him to kill Candy's dog. At that time, only the fittest survive.

Okay thanks :smile:

So what theme would relate to whit then? I literally know nothing about him only found out about him recently
Original post by MeganMcAlister
Yeah but you're given a passage for the first part of Section B so it makes it easier for you! The entire paper is worth 60 marks, Section A being worth 30 as well as Section B, so I imagine the marks for B are split if you have to write 2 essays :smile: (if that makes sense)

part a and b for of mice and men is marked as a whole. you can do 2 pages for part a and 1 for the other, and still get the mark
Actually I'm a bit worried about dreams! :/ If a question on dreams did come up, what points would you include? Thank you! :h:

Ok, sure I'll go through some of my points :smile:

Candy: “grinning with delight” Candy offers money within a day of knowing George and Lennie, which reflects his desperate desire to leave the ranch before he “gets the can”. CW destroys dream "darkening gradually" << Pathetic fallacy is suggestive of slow, painful end

Curley's Wife: “Ostrich feathers" harks back to her dream of performing on stage. It was her dream to be "in the movies". Her dream to be in the limelight is unrealistic "sunshine in the door was cut off" casts shadows on men's dreams/position.

George/Lennie: "we got a future". They strive for a better life better than the ranch life. "Up toward the highway" Rising imagery,New start for george < new opportunity to obtain american dream.

Haven't really got much time to type anything else but hope that was useful :wink:
Reply 774
Original post by Ella_08
I am hoping for dreams so so much for OMAM, who's with me??

me too i really hope its dreams or loneliness :smile:
was just going over key themes incase and for animal farm too
Reply 775
The conch may come up or any other symbol - I know in the last they have had clothing and the beast. Any relationship may come up to as they have had Piggy and Ralph before but maybe Simon for a character?
(edited 7 years ago)
Could someone predict what is likely to come up from the lonely side of us Kinder Transport guys.Thanks
Original post by Joseph72602
Okay thanks :smile:

So what theme would relate to whit then? I literally know nothing about him only found out about him recently

Don't worry about whit, I have no clue neither, he's a minor character
Original post by Anygy
Oh ok, thank you so much :tongue: that makes a lot more sense now

part a and b for section B is marked as a whole out of 30 marks, so you can do 2 pages on one part and 1 on the other and still get the same mark, just make sure you cover enough for each.
if it was Carlson I would want to take his damn luger gun and use it myself

Quick Reply