The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ella_08
Ok, sure I'll go through some of my points :smile:

Candy: “grinning with delight” Candy offers money within a day of knowing George and Lennie, which reflects his desperate desire to leave the ranch before he “gets the can”. CW destroys dream "darkening gradually" << Pathetic fallacy is suggestive of slow, painful end

Curley's Wife: “Ostrich feathers" harks back to her dream of performing on stage. It was her dream to be "in the movies". Her dream to be in the limelight is unrealistic "sunshine in the door was cut off" casts shadows on men's dreams/position.

George/Lennie: "we got a future". They strive for a better life better than the ranch life. "Up toward the highway" Rising imagery,New start for george < new opportunity to obtain american dream.

Haven't really got much time to type anything else but hope that was useful :wink:

Thank you this is really helpful! Good luck for tomorrow (I am completely stressing out :eek4:)!
Original post by ScrewTheExams
They can always repeat, June 2014 had George and Lennie, and so did June 2013 (or close to it)

Don't misunderstand, I never once stated that it's impossible for other characters to appear- I just simply stated what was likely to appear :smile:
Original post by Ella_08
if it was Carlson I would want to take his damn luger gun and use it myself

Carlson is pretty easy though; he's like the other ranch workers - isolated and lonely, he doesn't understand friendship or relationships (like George and Lennie), which is why he is able to kill Candy's dog so easily as he doesn't understand it. It is at a time where the fittest survive.
Original post by Pepsi Cola :)
Thank you this is really helpful! Good luck for tomorrow (I am completely stressing out :eek4:)!

No prob! Good luck to you too. I'm stressing too but I think you need the anxiety. With it, you have no enthusiasm or adrenaline so thank your nerves :tongue:
Reply 784
guys remember that whatever comes up in part (a) has come up to assess your close analysis. you do not need a vast knowledge of the character in question in order to write about them to an A* level. obviously it helps but the extract should give you a good idea about the character. its part (b) you need this skill for, but thats easier because you can choose what and who you write about. best of luck to everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EriNatsume
Don't misunderstand, I never once stated that it's impossible for other characters to appear- I just simply stated what was likely to appear :smile:

Lol you listed quite a few things, so one of them is probably going to appear.
Original post by R1001
The conch may come up or any other symbol - I know in the last they have had clothing and the beast. Any relationship may come up to as they have had Piggy and Ralph before but maybe Simon for a character?

Is there a possibility of sam and eric or roger and maurice if you know?
Carlson is pretty easy though; he's like the other ranch workers - isolated and lonely, he doesn't understand friendship or relationships (like George and Lennie), which is why he is able to kill Candy's dog so easily as he doesn't understand it. It is at a time where the fittest survive.

But there's no perceptive points... he's so boring. I haven't learned my points for him either. Thanks for the survival of the fittest point
Original post by Joseph72602
Is there a possibility of sam and eric or roger and maurice if you know?

Roger is possible, I've not seen him in any past papers.
Original post by Ella_08
But there's no perceptive points... he's so boring. I haven't learned my points for him either. Thanks for the survival of the fittest point

Well if he comes up then part (b) is probably going to be isolation or something related to the physically strongest surviving.

Part (a) you just pick out quotes and write stuff about them.
Reply 790
Original post by thatonepunkguy

I agree
Original post by thatonepunkguy

Alright I'll do a bit more on him thank you :smile:
Well if he comes up then part (b) is probably going to be isolation or something related to the physically strongest surviving.

Part (a) you just pick out quotes and write stuff about them.

Yeah true. If it were strengths would you talk about Curley, Slim, Carlson, maybe Crooks (becuase of his high level of intelligence)??? Thanku for the reassurance
Original post by ad4m
Some predicted questions here done by my school. For AIC and OMAM. The OMAM one is quite picky but my teachers reckon that as it is the last year, the question could be about theme rather than character. Other OMAM predictions include nature and Curley.

Those AIC questions are hard!
What could you say for them??
Original post by Ella_08
Yeah true. If it were strengths would you talk about Curley, Slim, Carlson, maybe Crooks (becuase of his high level of intelligence)??? Thanku for the reassurance

Strengths as in what? Bit too vague.
oh wow this thread takes me back to english gcse; I will never forget how stressed I was for this exam. The week before I got an E in a mock exam we did lol. Managed to get an A though,
Now I'm doing English lit a-level it makes me miss this more than ever
Good luck everyone!
Original post by ad4m
Some predicted questions here done by my school. For AIC and OMAM. The OMAM one is quite picky but my teachers reckon that as it is the last year, the question could be about theme rather than character. Other OMAM predictions include nature and Curley.

What on earth would you say about that OMAM passage about dreams???? im so stuck on that wow have you guys got anything?
Strengths as in what? Bit too vague.

Idk just in general, like your point about "the strongest surviving" or something like that
Original post by stopthat
oh wow this thread takes me back to english gcse; I will never forget how stressed I was for this exam. The week before I got an E in a mock exam we did lol. Managed to get an A though,
Now I'm doing English lit a-level it makes me miss this more than ever
Good luck everyone!

Thank you :smile: :smile: :smile: I'm so stressed
Original post by Ella_08
Thank you :smile: :smile: :smile: I'm so stressed

Don't be, if you've reviewed over all material you needed to you should be just fine.
GCSE English is honestly quite easy, its A-level English that is pure hell :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending