The Student Room Group

OCR Innovation Challenge (A Level) 2016 - Product Design

Scroll to see replies

Reflection paper is tomorrow and has anybody got advice on Commercial Issues. My teacher has not gone through the different topics that can come up and if Commercial issues does come up then what would one write? I picked the design challenge where you had to build a seating area which was sensitive to its surroundings.
Reply 61
Original post by Kelvin1245
Reflection paper is tomorrow and has anybody got advice on Commercial Issues. My teacher has not gone through the different topics that can come up and if Commercial issues does come up then what would one write? I picked the design challenge where you had to build a seating area which was sensitive to its surroundings.

Commercial issues is about succeeding in business and money? Right? If so then write about how you could survive in business, lower costs. You get the 3 bullet points anyway, should be fine :biggrin:

Even if it is not it wont be the be all and end all. Its only worth 10 marks per question, it is a luxury to have 3 minuets per mark! Are you feeling ready for the test?
So could I discuss the use of alternative materials instead of my original ones so bio plastics like potato based plastics instead of PP? Also, the use of recyclable plastics even if I am already using thermoplastics? Using bio plastics and recyclable materials would be much cheaper right? I am kinda ready I think, its just my teacher has not gone through this section particularly well. You? and thank you.
Reply 63
Using design improves business performance. Businesses that undervalue the importance of design may be missing vital opportunities.
Design can bring a range of commercial benefits if used systematically across your business, including:

increased sales of your products or services

improved market position relative to your competitors

greater customer loyalty and fewer customer complaints

a stronger identity for your business

the ability to create new products and services and open up new markets

reduced time to market for new products and services

improved environmental record and compliance with environmental regulations

make sure to comment on the fact that chair legs are ergonomically sustainable thus protecting the earth and all its inhabitants
Reply 64
So could I discuss the use of alternative materials instead of my original ones so bio plastics like potato based plastics instead of PP? Also, the use of recyclable plastics even if I am already using thermoplastics? Using bio plastics and recyclable materials would be much cheaper right? I am kinda ready I think, its just my teacher has not gone through this section particularly well. You? and thank you.

Yeah I think you should be able to discus that, there are lots of examples of past papers at http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-a-level-gce-design-and-technology-product-design-h053-h453/ unless you have already looked at these. I believe there is a past paper on commercial issues, if u check up that mark scheme I'm sure it will tell you what to include.

Personally I don't feel ready at all, I just wouldn't know how to answer some questions or relate to them for my product. In terms of other materials, I have used mainly ABS for seating, I'm not sure how I could alter materials to make my product more commercially viable etc.
Reply 65
Original post by Exavior
Yeah I think you should be able to discus that, there are lots of examples of past papers at http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-a-level-gce-design-and-technology-product-design-h053-h453/ unless you have already looked at these. I believe there is a past paper on commercial issues, if u check up that mark scheme I'm sure it will tell you what to include.

Personally I don't feel ready at all, I just wouldn't know how to answer some questions or relate to them for my product. In terms of other materials, I have used mainly ABS for seating, I'm not sure how I could alter materials to make my product more commercially viable etc.

You can always say you make your product with reclaimed stuff, or recycled bit and bobs.
How many marks is this paper overall? I don't feel confident at all :s-smilie:
Reply 67
Original post by mrbombastic1999

Only 20 marks (60 marks for the innovation challenge, so 80 in total).
Reply 68

Do not worry, I don't feel confident either, but I'm done revising! The paper is worst 20 marks, so only 10% of the full as course. There are 2 questions each 10 mark with 3 bullet points. You have 3 minuets per mark to make up some relevant points! Even if you cant think of anything you will get marks for QWC ( quality of written communication) so just try your best and make up lots of information relevant to the points! :biggrin:
Original post by Exavior
Do not worry, I don't feel confident either, but I'm done revising! The paper is worst 20 marks, so only 10% of the full as course. There are 2 questions each 10 mark with 3 bullet points. You have 3 minuets per mark to make up some relevant points! Even if you cant think of anything you will get marks for QWC ( quality of written communication) so just try your best and make up lots of information relevant to the points! :biggrin:

10%!! ohhh- Feeling slightly more confident now. So if i ensure that i make valid points, and relate them to the questions and product, i should be ok?
Reply 70
10%!! ohhh- Feeling slightly more confident now. So if i ensure that i make valid points, and relate them to the questions and product, i should be ok?

Yeah. If you make relevant points to each bullet point given to you will get 3-4 marks. If you support each point with an example you get 3 marks. And the other 3 are for QWC so just write well haha! In what other exam do we get 3 minuets per mark! :biggrin:
Knowing that this particular paper is only 10% has cheered me up. I have looked at mark schemes and written model answers to each topic however it is hard because you have to relate it to the context of your actual product and if it was to be made. Personally i have looked at the textbook and think it is outdated and it does not help one bit when referring to my product. My teachers have been useless particularly with this section too.
Knowing that this particular paper is only 10% has cheered me up. I have looked at mark schemes and written model answers to each topic however it is hard because you have to relate it to the context of your actual product and if it was to be made. Personally i have looked at the textbook and think it is outdated and it does not help one bit when referring to my product. My teachers have been useless particularly with this section too.

Both my DT teachers have shite this year. But apparently A2 is much easier
Both my DT teachers have shite this year. But apparently A2 is much easier

Yeah! Im hoping marketing comes up as it is one of the main topics to come up and i have good practice on it!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4006573&p=64043421

Check my product design notes I made last year. They should be on that link
Original post by suhaylpatel786
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4006573&p=64043421

Check my product design notes I made last year. They should be on that link

Thanks really appreciate your notes! Most of it is relevant to A Level. You study A level Product Design?
Thanks really appreciate your notes! Most of it is relevant to A Level. You study A level Product Design?

Nahh, I only did it at GCSE (got an A*).
Reply 77
How did it go everyone?
Reply 78
I reckon it couldve gone much worse, say if they asked about cultural/moral issues..
It was okay, I was hoping for inclusive design but I think it was alright!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending