The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Scroll to see replies

I'm 23! Where are you coming from? I'm actually going to send in my housing application today. I've done enough research on this site and I think Dawson will be the best fit, even though it's a bit farther. 3 miles isn't that far on a bike! And I figured I would be buying an Oyster card regardless because I'll be exploring London in my free time
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by cool213s
I'm 23! Where are you coming from? I'm actually going to send in my housing application today. I've done enough research on this site and I think Dawson will be the best fit, even though it's a bit farther. 3 miles isn't that far on a bike! And I figured I would be buying an Oyster card regardless because I'll be exploring London in my free time

I'm coming from Madrid, Spain, and you?. Yes, I think that Dawson is the best choice too. Definitely an oyster card is indispensable to discover London and cycling is always a good option!
Original post by Analpzalonso
I'm coming from Madrid, Spain, and you?. Yes, I think that Dawson is the best choice too. Definitely an oyster card is indispensable to discover London and cycling is always a good option!

United States. I just completed my accommodation application, crossing my fingers I get Dawson!
Original post by Analpzalonso

Original post by cool213s
United States. I just completed my accommodation application, crossing my fingers I get Dawson!

Hi both, thanks for getting in touch!

I'm not surprised to hear that you can't decide between Dawson and Floyer. Lots of students find it difficult to make a choice. The reality however is that most people are happy with their choice in the end.

Cycling is a great option from Dawson - that's how I got around when I lived there. My Dawson to Whitechapel personal best was 12 minutes so beat that if you can! :smile:

I also recommend getting a student oyster card and a 16-25 railcard to make them most out of public transport. It helps to have one for those days when it's raining or you can't be bothered to cycle!

Good luck with your accommodation applications!

Barts love,
Will
Reply 64
Hi, I think that this is a great idea offered by the university :smile:

I would be grateful if you could answer the following questions :

In the email it says start of term is 19th September. Is that the start of teaching or the start of freshers?

How long does the introductory/freshers programme run for before formal teaching starts?

Will being a commuter student affect the extent to which I can enjoy the freshers events?

Thanks in advance !
Original post by LOAend
Hi, I think that this is a great idea offered by the university :smile:

I would be grateful if you could answer the following questions :

In the email it says start of term is 19th September. Is that the start of teaching or the start of freshers?

How long does the introductory/freshers programme run for before formal teaching starts?

Will being a commuter student affect the extent to which I can enjoy the freshers events?

Thanks in advance !

Hi, thanks for getting in touch!

The start of term is the start of freshers week! There are some introductory lectures and teaching activities during this week but it is mainly freshers fun!

Your first week (freshers) includes formal teaching but not too much. Your first module is called 'FunMed' and covers the very basics of medicine.
Your second week is when lectures, PBLs and practicals really get started. This doesn't stop some people carrying freshers on into the second week!

If you're determined to enjoy freshers week, being a commuter shouldn't make too much of a difference. You can still get involved with all of the activities during the day. If you want to go to the events in the evenings, you will either have to get yourself home once they've finished or find someone's room to crash in!

I look forward to meeting you in September!

Barts love,
Will
Reply 66
Original post by Queen Mary University of London

The start of term is the start of freshers week! There are some introductory lectures and teaching activities during this week but it is mainly freshers fun!

Your first week (freshers) includes formal teaching but not too much. Your first module is called 'FunMed' and covers the very basics of medicine.
Your second week is when lectures, PBLs and practicals really get started. This doesn't stop some people carrying freshers on into the second week!

If you're determined to enjoy freshers week, being a commuter shouldn't make too much of a difference. You can still get involved with all of the activities during the day. If you want to go to the events in the evenings, you will either have to get yourself home once they've finished or find someone's room to crash in!

I look forward to meeting you in September!

Barts love,
Will

Thank you for your reply ! Is it possible to see a snippet of the timetable for first year for this years year 1 MBBS 5 year course?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 67
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time. Are electives abroad available to students before the final year (along with the university or not) and specifically to the GEP students?

Thanks
Reply 68
Are there lots of hood rats at queen marry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LOAend
Thank you for your reply ! Is it possible to see a snippet of the timetable for first year for this years year 1 MBBS 5 year course?

Hi again,

I will send you a direct message.

Barts Love,
Will
Original post by Ayga
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time. Are electives abroad available to students before the final year (along with the university or not) and specifically to the GEP students?

Thanks

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch.

As far as I know, electives are part of 5th year (final year) only for MBBS and GEP students. Since I'm only in my second year, electives are a bit beyond my brief. I would contact the medical school directly if you want more details.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Barts Love,
Will
Reply 71
I just received an invitation for an interview for Msc Medical Microbiology. Does anyone know about the kind of interview questions they can ask and the kind of questions that come up on the assessment please?
Hi, I really wanted to know more about how the waiting list works. Do you know how many people got an offer from the waiting list for Medicine and Dentistry last year? Would you say there is a good chance?
Thank you.
Original post by exam_hater
Hi, I really wanted to know more about how the waiting list works. Do you know how many people got an offer from the waiting list for Medicine and Dentistry last year? Would you say there is a good chance?
Thank you.

Unfortunately, I don't know too much about how the waiting list works and I've got a feeling the admissions department keep their cards pretty close to their chest about it. That said, there must be a chance that you will get a place or the waiting list wouldn't exist! If you're worrying about it, I recommend you get in touch with the admissions department as they may be able to tell you more. If you applied for undergraduate medicine, the number is: 020 7882 8478.

Sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

Barts love,
Will

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by razana
I just received an invitation for an interview for Msc Medical Microbiology. Does anyone know about the kind of interview questions they can ask and the kind of questions that come up on the assessment please?

Hi there, thanks for your question!

I can't tell you much about the interview process for Postgraduate degrees since I'm still an undergraduate. However, you may be able to squeeze more information out of the programme administrator. Michele Branscombe works at the Blizard Institute and her contact information is as follows:

[email protected]

+44 20 7882 7216

Good luck for your interview!

Barts love,
Will
Hi,

I was wondering which hospitals and GPs do we do our placements at? are they local or are they quite far away? Also, how is the nightlife around Dawson Hall? And to Barts students tend to have socials and do stuff etc with the Queen Mary's students?

Thanks
Original post by nollib5252
Hi,

I was wondering which hospitals and GPs do we do our placements at? are they local or are they quite far away? Also, how is the nightlife around Dawson Hall? And to Barts students tend to have socials and do stuff etc with the Queen Mary's students?

Thanks

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch!

In first year, GP placements are in and around East London. Most of them are pretty close to our Whitechapel and Mile End campuses. In second year, you will have an additional placement that may be in a hospital setting or, most commonly, a mental health setting of some kind. Again, these are in and around East London.

Once you go into third year, your 'firms' will be at one of the specific Barts teaching hospitals. As well as Barts and The Royal London hospitals, these include several hospitals in East London, e.g. Newham, Whipps Cross, Homerton etc. You may also be allocated an 'outfirm' which will be at a hospital outside of London for which you will be given accommodation. These include Colchester and Southend. Fourth and fifth years have a similar theme.

I lived at Dawson in my first year and the night life is great! You're so close to many bars and clubs and transport is really easy due to the central location.

Barts and QMUL come together occasionally at different points in the year - The Merger Cup, for example. That said, I know a few people who belong to QMUL or QMBL societies meaning they mingle with QMUL students a bit more. I also know a few people from Barts who go to events on the QMUL campus. Likewise, I've bumped into a few people in the Griffin (Barts' SU) from QMUL as well!

Let me know if you've got any more questions!

Barts love,
Will

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
Hi there,

I was wondering roughly how many graduates you have on the A100 5 year course? Do most of the stay in halls the first year as well? Apologies if this is a bit beyond your knowledge
Original post by co0294
Hi there,

I was wondering roughly how many graduates you have on the A100 5 year course? Do most of the stay in halls the first year as well? Apologies if this is a bit beyond your knowledge

Hi, good question!

I'm not entirely sure but I certainly know of a few. At a guess, I would say 25-35 grads in my year. Both post graduates on the undergraduate and postgraduate courses have the opportunity to stay in halls during their first year. I'm not sure what proportion of them do but I would assume the majority.

Let me know if you've got any more questions.

Barts love,
Will

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by co0294
Hi there,

Hi again,

Just consulting other students in my year and they suggest 100 is a better guess for the number of graduates in our year. Turns out there are far more than I thought!

Barts love,
Will

Posted from TSR Mobile