The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Mattheatre
It will be a small scale court. Plead guilty. Fine of £100 will be issued.

Don't skip court. That just makes things worse for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't civil fines have to be proportionate to the loss caused?

Couldn't it technically be fraud?
Reply 61
Original post by Mattheatre
It will be a small scale court. Plead guilty. Fine of £100 will be issued.

Don't skip court. That just makes things worse for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, hopefully its just that! *fingers crossed*
On the letter it says "An application will be made in court for a £125.00 contribution towards the cost of TFL. There will also be an application for compensation of £2.40 in respect of the fare avoided. Further cost may be incurred if additional documentation is required or if the matter is not resolved at the earliest opportunity." - do i have to pay that as well on top of the fine? :/
Reply 62
It is fraud. TfL have laid out their fines for travelling on their transport without a valid ticket or Oyster Card. If you're worried contact the TfL legal department.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Original post by c.vine
Okay, hopefully its just that! *fingers crossed*
On the letter it says "An application will be made in court for a £125.00 contribution towards the cost of TFL. There will also be an application for compensation of £2.40 in respect of the fare avoided. Further cost may be incurred if additional documentation is required or if the matter is not resolved at the earliest opportunity." - do i have to pay that as well on top of the fine? :/

hi could you tell me after you wrote back to them did they send you another letter or was it the date of the court date and also how much did u pay altogether and did you get prosecuted? sorry loads of questions bh kinda made da silly mistake myself
thanx
Hey C.Vine

Could you tell us what eventually happened?
it happen to me yest how long does it actually take for the letter to come in post
dumbass ****er
Reply 67
Hello. It happens to me today also i am really anxious ( and also embarased) about what is going to happen.
Can someone tell what is the ending of this story above??
Can you just pay the fine and don't go to court?? And if you pay the fine, hopefully won't have any criminal record 😓😖 hopefully i will have answers from someone who's gone through this 🙈
Original post by lory 08
Hello. It happens to me today also i am really anxious ( and also embarased) about what is going to happen.
Can you just pay the fine and don't go to court?? And if you pay the fine, hopefully won't have any criminal record 😓😖 hopefully i will have answers from someone who's gone through this 🙈

OP got 2 months + banned from TFL + £60 fine. I think it was in the papers.
Original post by lory 08

This happened to my 2 brothers last year. The borrowed Oyster card was confiscated, and the brother who it belonged to wasn't allowed to apply for another Oyster card for a year (even though he didn't even give my other brother permission to use his card, but tfl didn't care). There was also a fine (can't remember how much exactly, but it was about £75).

My mum complained to tfl that it was unfair my brother couldn't apply for another Oyster card for a year, since it wasn't his fault my other brother took his card. They replied saying if he didn't want to wait a year, he'd have to do community service LOL. So he just waited out the year. They were both 11-15 when this happened, so it's not even as if they were paying the incorrect amount.
Reply 70
If you receive a letter asking you for more information, there will be a procecutors contact information, contact the person and ask how you can settle the case outside court. This way you will not have to go to court and no criminal records will be issued, but you will have to pay £250.
Reply 71
Thank you all.
I will keep in touch and let tou know after i receive the letter from them !!
Reply 72
Original post by Gozdey
If you receive a letter asking you for more information, there will be a procecutors contact information, contact the person and ask how you can settle the case outside court. This way you will not have to go to court and no criminal records will be issued, but you will have to pay £250.

Thank you! I don't mind paying the money, but o hope it will be only this and after the case will be closed!
Reply 73
Original post by puneetrai.1
Hey C.Vine

Could you tell us what eventually happened?

OP can't reply as they got taken to Guantanamo Bay. Let this be a lesson to all of us.
Reply 74
Original post by Lacesso
OP can't reply as they got taken to Guantanamo Bay. Let this be a lesson to all of us.

You are very funny!!!! The original post is few years old 😅😅
Sometimes people do mistakes, we are humans! But we all learn from that, so stop judging 🤔🙈
Reply 75
Hello again!
Just received the letter from tfl, and i have to fill in my details and in another section explain if i accept or deny that i am guilty.
Of course i am guilty, but what should i do??? Shall i call them and try to settle out from now or i should write them, trying to appologize first?!??😖🤔
Reply 76
Call them first, then do what they instruct you to do.
Reply 77
Original post by Gozdey
Call them first, then do what they instruct you to do.

Thank you! I will try to call and see what they say!
Reply 78
Helli everyone. I am back with excelent news.
I worte to TFL, appologising to them and i receive an e-mail back that i can pay a £383 fee and won't be called in court.
I explain to them that i am applying for british citizenship and a criminal record won't let me get that.
I think that this was my luck!!!
Good luck to everyone else and thank you for advices.
P.s. don't use anyone else oyster card ever!!!🙈🙊
Original post by lory 08
Helli everyone. I am back with excelent news.
I worte to TFL, appologising to them and i receive an e-mail back that i can pay a £383 fee and won't be called in court.
I explain to them that i am applying for british citizenship and a criminal record won't let me get that.
I think that this was my luck!!!
Good luck to everyone else and thank you for advices.
P.s. don't use anyone else oyster card ever!!!🙈🙊

Hiya, just a couple of days ago i found a kids oyster card outside a store and put it in my pocket, with the intention to return it. Several hours later i went on the bus, I had 2 oyster cards which were mine and a contactless card, however I accidently swiped with the kids card forgetting about it. I put the card in my back pocket so it doesnt get in with my other cards. A ticket inspector came on the bus after several stops and I showed him my oyster card which didint work, I then showed him the other and a contactless card, all which didint work. In the heat of the moment I forgot about the kids card as I was dealing with his questions. I complied and gave him all my details, soon after he checked my pockets and took the card. I tried to explain myself however He did not allow me to explain myself and said that a letter will be sent to my house. I asked him a few questions, all with the response of "I dont know".

I was reading online that 18+ get sent to court as I am 20 years old. Do you think that It will be a fine or a court case? As it was a genuine mistake and I did have oyster cards which all had money and my contactless. If you could reply ASAP, much would be appreciated.

Latest

Trending

Trending